FAC251 - The Factory

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
To be fair, he's hardly a never was. One of the most influential bass players of all time. In fact, I can't think of a more famous bass player other than McCartney.

That DJing clip is a shocker though.

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
You've obviously never seen one of his DJ sets before :p

When he played for us at Evolution he had two* "assistants" and "his" mixing was spot on ;) - even mixing vinyl then!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

* Mart and myself lol

I think the personal trainer look whilst pretending to DJ could be a good thing maybe for the next decade - up and coming DJ's would be inspired, get fit whilst playing music to the masses no?!

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
To be fair, he's hardly a never was. One of the most influential bass players of all time. In fact, I can't think of a more famous bass player other than McCartney.

True mate. I was only pulling him for his Fake DJ routines and knob end potential.

Joy Division and New Order is a separate chapter and is the basis of his reputation, that he tries to ruin with the other stuff.

misstickle

Apr 2, 2004
upgraded to Didsbury!
When he played for us at Evolution he had two* "assistants" and "his" mixing was spot on ;) - even mixing vinyl then!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

* Mart and myself lol

I think the personal trainer look whilst pretending to DJ could be a good thing maybe for the next decade - up and coming DJ's would be inspired, get fit whilst playing music to the masses no?!

pmsl... did you not begrudge paying him?

I don't understand why club promoters keep booking him and why punters go to see him.....maybe it makes the rest of us feel better about a) the fact that our mixing skills are amazing in comparison and b) we dont look like 90 year old fitness intructors and c) we wanna laugh at the z list celeb:D

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast

I don't understand why club promoters keep booking him and why punters go to see him.....maybe it makes the rest of us feel better about a) the fact that our mixing skills are amazing in comparison and b) we dont look like 90 year old fitness intructors and c) we wanna laugh at the z list celeb:D

I think Radish made a good point on this.

Ref: point b) two words missing... "lack of" :D

Liking your "upgrade to Didsbury" BTW. Does that mean you can eat in posh nosh diners on Barlow Moor Road instead of dodgy chinese on Upper Brook Street? lol :p

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Can't remember where I heard it/ read it, but I think Hooky always had a bit of a sense of humour about the whole New Order losing all their money on the Hacienda thing, but doing something incredible at the same time. Think it was an interview with Tony Wilson. In the same interview, he said Barney never got it. He just thought he got screwed!

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire

* Mart and myself lol

I love that story. :D Ive recounted it a few times to people and it never fails to get a laugh

Im reading his book at the moment, its quite entertaining, some amusing anecdotes:)

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003

To be fair the night he "played" was rammed, mostly with fans who enjoyed the night and we were over a barrel a bit as he still had the rights to the name Hacienda which we were using as part of the night 'Hacienda Classics'.

Mr Park kicked up the biggest stink though when we tried to promote the night on his radio show saying that there weren't any original Hacienda DJ's on at the night (our first night with Jay Weardon) and imo Park is the bigger twat for that and his general attitude on various other nights...

At least Hooky now plays a lot with Jon Dasilva so his choices of tracks tend to be better :thumbsup:

* Mart and myself lol

Funny as fuck that night :rofl: He even pretended to be too busy in the mix to acknowledge people coming up to him until 'he' dropped the tune in & then he punched the air to declare 'Yeah - that was me... ' :D

misstickle

Apr 2, 2004
upgraded to Didsbury!
I think Radish made a good point on this.

Ref: point b) two words missing... "lack of" :D

Liking your "upgrade to Didsbury" BTW. Does that mean you can eat in posh nosh diners on Barlow Moor Road instead of dodgy chinese on Upper Brook Street? lol :p

Ha the irony is that the Tai Pan WAS considered posh!

Even though my postcode is Didsbury now, it's an ex council house, but shhhh dont tell anyone lol x

Oh no, not heard of it...what kinda food is it? x

Chinese / Thai :)

225!images_venuephotos_vermillion_1.jpg

vermillion-restaurant.jpg

Vermilion Manchester