FAC251 - The Factory

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
Roll on or aerosol?

bwah bwah bwaaaaaaahhhhhh (c'est terrible!) hahahaha

Anyway, everyone knows he doesn't DJ himself-he looks like such an idiot-it surely must be a joke...maybe he's laughing at us-"hahaaaa-you lot slag me off,and you know that I know that you know I can't DJ-but you're all spending money to see me not dj!"???????

misstickle

Apr 2, 2004
upgraded to Didsbury!
Chinese / Thai :)

225!images_venuephotos_vermillion_1.jpg

vermillion-restaurant.jpg

Vermilion Manchester

Looks good, but has anyone checked the kitchens yet?:cops: lol

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
Interesting to see that Tim Booth's hair has moved from the top of his head to the bottom of his head.

BTW who went to this? I heard James were absolutely awesome that night.

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
They were indeed awesome as were the mondays, and yeah, i was shocked to see the remembered "mop top" Tim Booth completely bald! Apperently hes been doing acting, batman begins or summat?

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Saw James do a warm up for their tour last Nov. It was a venue for about 200 people and they did mainly album tracks, as they were planning what to do on the tour.

They were absolutely awesome, unbelievably tight as a band and sounded amazing. Tim Booth definitely has something he was brilliant.

Funnily enough I saw the Mondays play Brixton a couple of years back, and thought the same, really tight as a band.

When you think about it all those Manchester bands (inc Roses, Inspirals, Charlattans) had earned their spurs live, they were all very good musicians, as well as writing great songs.

Can you see another city producing that amount of talent all at the same time in the future? I can't.

abstract

Mar 14, 2010
Will Peter Hook ever stop chatting shit?? Or ever get over the fact 'pun intended' that The Hacienda was one of many Manchester's great mid 1980's clubs.. & can never be re-created , he is still a sad pathetic old 'wish he had been' pffffffft!!

Agreed. The whole thing is built on nothing but pure nostalgia.

Whilst The Hacienda was one f*cking awsome club, lets get things into perspective a little.

1 - Anyone who was there at the start of the acid scene, knows damn well that "The Kitchens" "Konspiracy" to name just two venues, were also f*cking awsome, without even mentioning the various and many warehouse parties that took place around Manchester and other cities.

2 - Once the Hacienda closed it's doors after the girl died on 'E' and then reopened, the club was shit. The podiums went, the great Friday nights went and were replaced by mainly people wearing Destroy, Versace and Prada, getting aggressive on coke and only went to the Hac because they had seen it on TV.

3- Hooky, Bez and which ever other so called DJ's they keep advertising on these "Hacienda Presents" nights, never spun a f*cking piece of vinyl in a club during the entire course of the acid/dance revolution, so why now? Manchester was always a tale of two halves, the emerging acid and house revolution and the Indie/Rock scene that emerged. Hooky and Bez were parts of very different areas, certainly no major influence in the acid/dance/house revolution so what the f*ck is the DJ'ing about? Parky, Wainwright, DaSilva etc. a different story but who the f*uck is Hooky trying to be, stick to yer bass.

4- Factory is dead, it died before the Hac closed it's doors for the last time and that's that. Factory was always about innovation and bringing something new and ground breaking along. All this is about is the remaining Factory crew (namely Hooky at least) trying to finally make some money to buy BFO houses in Cheshire, just look at the price tag on the bank holiday night. It's not about passion or ushering in a new revolution in culture so shove it.

It's sad that a great story and piece of history like Factory, has to finish it's tale off with such a sad and tragic ending.
Was it not Hooky himself who once said "I would have hated the Hacienda to have continued, bought by some corporate and renamed to something like "The Carlsberg Hacienda".

"We Made History - Not Money" is the phrase being coined by Factory is it not??

So I guess it's time to reverse that phrase for the latter, it began in the late 80's early 90's and if people are honest ended in the early 90's too, at least the very best of it did anyway, leave it there, move on.

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Last edited:

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
Welcome aboard Johnny. :D

I think we touched on this the other evening in discussion after the film screening... as the recession bites, it's noticable that nearly all the clubs are playing it ever more safe in a bid to get the punters in, and nostalgia always sells...

Tony Wilson always said that he wanted Manchester to be a forward thinking city and never be based on a nostalgia trip like Liverpool with The Beatles - unfortunately Madchester & The Hacienda have become just that.

As I mentioned in another thread, when Oliver Wilson did that feature on BBC1's Inside Out we got 99% of the above and 1% on new talent when it should have been the other way round.

And while we're on the subject, ref. point 3, there's a danger now that those who are selling this "history" back to the kids are painting a very distorted picture of what really happened which somehow gets accepted as fact. :( No mentions then for the likes of Hewan Clarke, Foot Patrol and one of Manchester's finest, Steve Williams. They can print what they like but they can't take our memories away.

I'm hoping that with "They Call It Acid" and "High On Hope" (if it sees the light of day) we can redress the balance and give people an idea of the reality.

Mister_DJ

May 1, 2003
Location Location
Just to play devils advocate here, is this venture really pure cheese or are we just angry with Hooky's rose tinted/I was there/celeb DJ view?

I know and agree with what you're saying re the FAC nostalgia trip and re: Hooky - but is it all "Hacienda" at this place?

I think its still important to get behind ideas for a new venue. Would I be happier to see it converted into just another posh block of flats?

I've been to a Bez/Hac night and imho it WAS drivel, but some may argue what is the difference between that "cashing in" and the All About Acid/HOH and other nights up and down the country?

Hooky may see Hac Retro as something to get bodies in granted, but surely there is some potential in a new, weekly music venue for people to be able to promote new/different stuff here.

And if its not happening....MAKE IT.

Mart
:rolleyes:

Just to play devils advocate here, is this venture really pure cheese or are we just angry with Hooky's rose

For some reason I read that as "Hooky's nose..." & I am, the big nosed twat :D

And if its not happening....MAKE IT.

Mart
:rolleyes:

^^^ Yes indeed :thumbsup:

PS Mart... that Boys Own book is the best read for a very very long time... some right gems in the tune charts too :D

abstract

Mar 14, 2010
is it all "Hacienda" at this place?

No it's not all Hacienda, but take a look at the agenda....

Monday - RnB / Electro / Student Party

Tuesday - Old Skool Hip Hop / Electro / Funk / Reggae

Wednesday - Disco Pop / Indie

Thursday - Electro / Drum & Bass / Brit Pop

Friday - Audio/Video Indie / 80's Alternative

Sat - Electro Pop / Hacienda Presents / Rock n Roll

No one is telling me that most of this is not nostalgia. Percentage wise there are more "House" related things happening in here than anything else thats going on. And just because only one room on one night has "Hacienda" fronting it, most of these other house/dance genres made up plenty of what the Hacienda and the late 80's early 90's was about.

I honestly don't see anything particularly new, innovative, ground breaking or anything that would make Manchester the pinnacle of new culture like it did during the last decade, and that is the one thing that Factory could always be relied upon to achieve. I can't say I like everything that came out on Factory, far from it. In fact the "Madchester" Indie thing was not me at all, it was always about house for me. I was not into the Mondays or the Roses or most of the other Indie Rock related things that made up the other side of Madchester, but that does not mean to say I don't appreciate the bands and the culture. It was something new that had never really been done before and that's what was important.

Perhaps it's a bit harsh to burden Factory with all the blame, or sorting it out. After all, Factory did not start the acid house revolution, it began in the USA and came to the UK, Factory, Manchester or not, it would have still happened.
I think new generations are as much to blame for not wanting something special as much as we did. The pure boredom of stereotypical nightclubs and M&S shirts with thin leather tie, listening to Rick Astley and whatever other manufactured faeces was the at the forefront of a night out in the UK was enough to lead me to discover underground raves, gay clubs and the Hacienda. Seems most younger people are quite happy with whatever medium is put in front of them these days.

I would like to see a completely new culture emerge in the UK, but at the moment it just doesn't seem like its going to happen. Me being part of it is completely irrelevant, I'm married and don't even live in the UK or the West for that matter anymore, but I'd still like to see it.

Mods, Punks, Hippies, Teddy Boys, Ravers to name but a few are unique and were always a break away from the mainstream way of doing things, they upset the establishment, were branded as outrageous by many and completely unacceptable, bring it on!!!!!