R.IP. Anthony H Wilson

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Aug 11, 2003
newcastle
Passed away...

Thanks for Factory Records, The Hacienda and all your weird and wonderful views on this thing called life...

PepeLePew

Oct 27, 2005
Hyde
www.myspace.com
Some people that knew him thought he was a twat. I've met him and he had an aura that few people have.

To me he was the person I most associate with modern Manchester, and I thank him for whatever he has created (associated himself with) for making my eyes see what a stronger city I live in than any other place on earth.

Manchester could/may/possibly be a shithole, but for the likes of people that make you see more than you might have thought you wanted to see. You soon realise how rich you are.

RIP

Anthony Wilson RIP

Thought Id post on here died last night,sadly missed. Im guessing that there probabally would be no scene in 1988 if he and the gang hadent have had the insite to form Factory records and fund the bottomless pit of money that was The Hacienda.He stayed true to his Manchester roots till the end.

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Thought Id post on here died last night,sadly missed. Im guessing that there probabally would be no scene in 1988 if he and the gang hadent have had the insite to form Factory records and fund the bottomless pit of money that was The Hacienda.He stayed true to his Manchester roots till the end.

So very true Steve.

For the alledged £5 it cost them for every punter that crossed the threshold of the Hac. . . .I am very grateful.

Manchester owes that man a great deal, whether they all realise it or not.

A real champion for the city.

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Just reading this article

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Friends fund Wilson's cancer drug

If the death was down to lack of Sutent shame on those who made millions from Factory but left Tony on his arse :naughty:

It was not Shooms. It was only going to give him a bit longer after the Chemo failed. Fortunately the Monday's manager got money from those who could help and he had enough of the drug.

He was next to people from Cheshire in the same hospital, whose local authority would fund it, Manchester Health Authority did not. Post code lottery.

He was done for when the Chemo failed and despite the brave face it was just a matter of time. . . .too little of it.

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
I really don't know what to write here, this is such sad news. :(

Whilst driving into the city last night for my gig I heard Dave Haslam announce it on XFM, he dumped his usual playlist and went through a string of Factory and Manchester related releases that Tony had connections with which showcased the vast contribution he made to Manchester music and the legacy he's left behind.

I loved all things Factory from the early days, it heavily influenced all my musical tastes at the time, and certainly if it wasn't for the Hacienda, I'm not sure I'd be doing what I'm doing today.

Whatever you thought about Tony, he championed every cause he chose to support 100%, whether it be musical, political or just a maverick idea, and he never missed an opportunity to promote the City of Manchester whatever he was involved in.

There's bound to be loads of tribute programs on over the next week or so; I don't think any of them will truly quantify the contribution he made to music and to Manchester in general, his legacy is massive.

As coda to the film 24 Hour Party People you can just imagine the scene: Tony wanders up to the Pearly Gates and Rob Gretton and Ian Curtis are stood there having a fag, and he says, "Alright Lads, it's me, Tony."
Rob replies, "What the f*ck are you doin' here, we weren't expecting you for a good couple of years yet!"

RIP Tony, you will be missed.... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Last edited:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
he did indeed!!! gotta hand it to the guy - he was inovative and if it hadnt been for that we prob wouldnt have know the scene as it was!! if there had been a scene at all :thumbsup:

andycalder

Jan 7, 2007
Th'Owdam
ANTHONY H WILSON 1950-2007 r.i.p

a visionary, a mancunian through and through, a purveyor of the tallest of tales.

sadly lossed

Without Anthony H Wilson there would be no Hacienda, joy division, new order, indie labels, northern house music culture,

we all owe the guy an immense amount

I'm genuinely upset about it

Fuck the government for not giving him the drugs a dying man needed