Quite possibly the most expensive record in the world, watch the auction unfold

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
Was talking to a bloke in work the other day who's as passionate about northern soul as i am about house, and he told me about the buzz thats going around the NS scene at the min as the top trophy tune, of which there are only two copies known to be in existence is up for auction.

Heres what it says about the record on the auction site: "You are gazing upon the most important, most collectable, most valuable vinyl 45 in the world! This offering, is unquestionably the very pinnacle of record collecting.In your life, have you ever owned anything as precious as this?"

There's still nearly 2 weeks left on the auction, and the bids currently just short of 20 grand:| :| :|

Might be interesting to see how this auction unfolds:D

Now i wouldnt mind finding that other copy on a car boot for 25p lol, gonna start crate diggin me thinks lol;)

Heres the link to the page

Rare Soul Man - Auction

scroll down the page, the track im on about is

Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) - Soul 35019 DJ

Heres a clip of the track from youtube

YouTube - Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)

glenn

Feb 3, 2003
blackpool
i wander if in years to come some old age super rich ex raver would be prepared to dish out mega books fo toons. fook me were all quids in if it goes like that!!!!:love: :love: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
proper fanaticall about the music the ns lot .know a bloke who goes in me locall who collects soul,all he ever goes on about is buyin vinyle,which i dont mind but it gets on me nervs after a bit
think all them black bombers have sent him potty :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: heheh!!

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
My good lady wife has from the title alone id'ed this song as the one on a KFC advert or something similar. After listening to the clip, she is sure.

I must take her record shopping sometime.;)

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey
You have also put a Youtube link to the shite re-recording by Ian Levine :hurl:

Enjoy the original and the best tune ever put to plastic IMHO phones:

YouTube - Frank Wilson - Do I Love You

And, as a footnote I shall repeat that the man himself agreed to perform the song once live.

This was in my home town of Fleetwood at the Blackpool Togetherness Soul Weekender a few years back.

There was a clip of this on Youtube but it seems to have vanished.

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
Isnt Steve Davis the snooker player a massive collecter:confused:

One....Newy

Yes he is, big time apparently, he's supposed to have portocabins full of rare soul stuff, apparently it would be impossible for him to ever listen to all of his collection, as theres supposed to be that much.

My missus used to work in expansion records (soul music shop)when it was by victoria station, she says he was in regular contact with richard searling who owned the shop, and was a big buyer

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
You have also put a Youtube link to the shite re-recording by Ian Levine :hurl:

Enjoy the original and the best tune ever put to plastic IMHO phones:

YouTube - Frank Wilson - Do I Love You

No worries mate, the youtube link was a punt in the dark lol, as i dont know too much about northern soul at all, just thought this is an interesting story, and im interested in seeing how it unfolds.

What do you reckon this track will end up selling for Barrie?

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey
Dunno

NP with the link but I just had to put the correct one up!!!!!

Perhaps we should all have an imaginary punt and see who comes closest.

If anybody shows interest I think we should close this little silly competition as soon as the auction is down to 5 days away.

I shall say my price a bit nearer the deadline.

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
Over 21 grand now.. Outageous!

Think the bidding's gonna go off big time on the last day or two, more money than sense. If you pay that much for a tune, your never even gonna play it, in case you wipe 15 grand off its value lol:|Probably gonna end up on someones wall in a frame or sommat, which turns it into an expensive piece or art:D

Wonder how much it would cost to insure it:S

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
I seem to remember the other copy going for 35grand geeez

One....Newy

Bloody hell, i got told the last one went for 15 grand, but dont know if its true or not, all i do know is if your willing to pay 20+ grand for a 7" tune, youve got plenty of cash to burn.

Suppose in a way though, it could be a good short term investment. If you were to sell it on in 5-10 years you could probably make a few grand on top again:S

What do you reckon its gonna go for Newy? if the last one did go for 35 grand, this ones easy gonna beat that i think;)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Funny really, I was just wondering what the rarest valuable record was:crazy: :thumbsup: :D

It was brought on by the 7th person to ask me if i'm selling or swapping a particular record on Oggs that only I have there. I was asked by one person to name my price too:)

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
Funny really, I was just wondering what the rarest valuable record was:crazy: :thumbsup: :D

It was brought on by the 7th person to ask me if i'm selling or swapping a particular record on Oggs that only I have there. I was asked by one person to name my price too:)

Tell him its far better than the pre beatles record that went for over 100 grand jigs:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: lol