Quite possibly the most expensive record in the world, watch the auction unfold

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

enjoycsy

Jul 12, 2007
grimsby
Dunno

NP with the link but I just had to put the correct one up!!!!!

Perhaps we should all have an imaginary punt and see who comes closest.

If anybody shows interest I think we should close this little silly competition as soon as the auction is down to 5 days away.

I shall say my price a bit nearer the deadline.

60 GRAND:thumbsup:

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey
Takes two silly people with too much money and it could go very silly indeed.

Be interesting to watch as time passes as you cannot use a snipe.

I hope house records go for this amount of money someday - my spanish retirement villa would increase in size!!!!!

I doubt it but do think there will be a renewed interest in classic dance vinyl collecting someday.

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
Errr....it seems to have vanished from the auction!!!! :|

I am sure the end date was the 29th.

Weird.....

I saw that too mate, ive had a dig around on the site, and it says that its now gone to a private bidding area:| Still at 25 grand at the mo, think it will go bonkers from tommorow night though.

After reading up more on the track, apparently theres only two copies known to be in existence, the other copy is supposed to be badly warped, so the copy thats for sale, really is regarded as the holy grail for all of the northern soul collectors. Think it will be interesting to see what it finally goes for, think my guestimation of 40 odd grand may be too low:eek:

Imagine trying to claim for that getting lost/snapped in the post:cry: :cry: :cry:

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
Well it seems that there was the mad flurry of activity as expected, final price was £25,742.00

25k for a 7" record:$ :cry: wish i had that much money to burn on a single tune:S

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
With so many bets on the record, it wouldn't surprise me if a few were done by punters expecting to be outbid;)

I thought it would have gone for a lot more though:eek:

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey
You have also put a Youtube link to the shite re-recording by Ian Levine :hurl:

Enjoy the original and the best tune ever put to plastic IMHO phones:

YouTube - Frank Wilson - Do I Love You

And, as a footnote I shall repeat that the man himself agreed to perform the song once live.

This was in my home town of Fleetwood at the Blackpool Togetherness Soul Weekender a few years back.

There was a clip of this on Youtube but it seems to have vanished.

Bit of a silly update here on this from my old mate of over 35 years Glenn Foster.

The Frank Wilson performance was actually legally captured on video as Ian Levine had permission to do so. Turns out the camera man was Glenn himself and the Youtube clip was his. He has no idea why it was removed.

We have spent hours and hours today talking shite, its around 15 years since we last met, about the very old days and catching up on who is dead (some very sad news) and who has survived and what they are up to. Been a really really top day. Anyway, the original video Ian had was copied by Glenn - to his knowledge these are the only two in existence. Now there are three as I have one - including around six hours of events and northern artists live performances. Chuffed to bits and given on the understanding it is never ever copied. I shall stick to my word. There was only a tiny part of the performance on Youtube and I have watched it all. Three times, so far.

He actually asked Frank what was the truth behind the tune and he confirmed what we all know about why they were all destroyed. His tale was slightly different to the three famous tales of how they surfaced and how many survived and who has them, in that a person that worked at Motown took three copies out of the skip they had been dumped in - personally supervised by Berry Gordy himself - and these three copies were later bought by a big UK dealer. He sold one to Kenny Burrell (who remortaged his house to own it by the way), who later sold it on, and then bought it back from the same person.

This is the copy sold in the auction.

The UK dealer )and record label owner) still has a copy that it warped and unplayable and his business partner, who lives in Canada has the other copy. Berry Gordy also had a 10" acetate of the tune. The tale was told to Frank by someone from Motown and he is unsure if it is all true - but he knows the other 3 stories and believes they may all be true in part.

By chance Glenn had taken his very young daughter to the do and she was with him when he was chatting to Frank in a caravan afterwards. She had taken Glenn`s demo of the tune on UK Tamla Motown (worth a few quid on its own) and he autographed it for her in silver pen. It reads `to Charlene thank you for being my youngest fan - Frank Wilson`. I read it today.

Frank Wilson confirmed that the performance that night was the first he had ever done in front of crowd and that his personal commitment was that he would do it once and once only. History would never be repeated.

He also told Charlene to treasure the record and keep it safe as he said he had never autographed one before and he promised her he would never do so again.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah.