• Other

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Butty

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters

mr ben

Mar 22, 2006
huyton
I voted Mouriniho out of that lot but to be honest we need someone like Roy Keene just to kick to shit outta them to make em realise what they are playing for. Not saying him but someone of that temprement.
It is the ULTIMATE accolade to play for your country in any sport, end of.
Players come to our league for the passion it has. This itself is what being English has over any country so why the f*** do our players forget that when playing for the team that represents all we stand for in football.
Stevie G couldnt give a monkeys in the interviews last night - total disgrace.
Ive seen Col U playing better and trust me thats Bad!

ok ......... heres what i think ( i may be wrong but i doubt it lol ;) )

England have never in my life time had a team that can play half decent football , now we can analyse this all we want but it all boils down to the style of football we play in this country which as entertaining as it may be lacks technique and the basic ability to keep hold of a football for more than a couple of minutes without giving possesion away ( which at international level is essential )

the amount of times england give the ball away is untrue and i believe its only individual brilliance that has got us as far as we have gone in tournaments recently.

so you can blame steven gerrard , fat frank or the count of monte cristoe for all i care , the facts are we dont play a brand of football that lends its self to international football at grass roots level , at youth level or seniour level and we never will as long as i'm alive .

mr ben

Mar 22, 2006
huyton
Absolutely spot on :thumbsup:

Said as much here

http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum/chillout-room/82190-dark-day-english-football-2.html

PS Don't be having a go at Stevie Geeeee or Wazza will start droning on that it was purely down to lack of faith & support from the crowd ;) Liverpool players walk on water & always play with 110% passion dontcherknow ;)

thats my point shooms ...... he plays with passion but that aint enough , why did rafa take him off in the derby ? why did fabregas play him off the park at anfield recently ?????

wake up and look at the bigger picture ..... no one will lead a team from this country to victory unless we change the whole style of play ;)

ok ......... heres what i think ( i may be wrong but i doubt it lol ;) )

England have never in my life time had a team that can play half decent football , now we can analyse this all we want but it all boils down to the style of football we play in this country which as entertaining as it may be lacks technique and the basic ability to keep hold of a football for more than a couple of minutes without giving possesion away ( which at international level is essential )

the amount of times england give the ball away is untrue and i believe its only individual brilliance that has got us as far as we have gone in tournaments recently.

so you can blame steven gerrard , fat frank or the count of monte cristoe for all i care , the facts are we dont play a brand of football that lends its self to international football at grass roots level , at youth level or seniour level and we never will as long as i'm alive .

The 86 team was good... :)

Butcher, Wilkins, Robson etc...

One negative aspect to England has always been sitting too deep & inviting pressure... I get nervy whenever England go a goal up coz we just sit back..

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
from an england fan with a sense of humour and a bit of commonsense, i tip my hat to him

Can’t help but think that against Croatia, England got just exactly what they deserved. So, in a spirit of positive thinking, here’s ten reasons why we should be ecstatic that England won’t be at Euro 2008:

1. We won’t have to wait till the inevitable quarter-final exit from the tournament in the summer for a new manager to replace the current, useless, ginger incumbent. We can get it sorted now, and the new man can have some meaningless friendlies to get the team to gel out of sight of the media while no-one can bear to look at them.

2. We can watch, and enjoy the tournament in the summer.

3. If, say, Spain are playing Italy, and it’s been a great game, and it’s 2-2 at half time, the TV people will be obliged to comment on the game actually taking place in front of them, and oblige us with their considered opinions on the match. Not go to a pre-filmed ten minute interview with an England player, and discuss what this 2-2 result might mean in the context of our next game in a different group against Belgium.

4. Ian Wright can just f*ck off for the next two years at least.

5. We don’t have to embarrass ourselves with all those stupid little flags on our cars (which, by the way, increase drag on your vehicles making them more expensive to drive and cause more pollution) and succumb to some form of mass hysteria and extreme hyperbole for the six months leading up to the tournament. We also don’t have to be made to feel like losers unless we’ve gone ‘over there’ and helped lay siege to whichever unfortunate town we happen to be playing in this week.

6. Women don’t have to pretend to be interested and spend the whole month p*ssing all the men off by asking questions like “Have they won yet?”.

7. Those fat f*ckwits in charge at the FA might finally realise that no-one cares how much money the web development team at Vodafone is willing to pay for their Club Wembley box, and not one single member of the public will ever congratulate them for increasing their corporate turnover. All we want is a team which is run like a professional outfit and plays - and competes - as such.

8. We don’t have to watch the tabloid media and every single witless little celebrity comic make front-page news out of how much money the retarded examples of human vermin who pass for the “Wives and Girlfriends” of the England team can blow on useless designer sh*t using the money of the footballer they happen to be f*cking while making prats of themselves in naff wine bars. Yes girls, we know you won’t feel complete till you’ve got your presenting job on the latest reality TV show on late night satellite telly, but you know what? You just look like like worthless, stupid, parasitic sluts and you give British people - specifically, British women - a bad name. And you distract the players from the job in hand. This is a football tournament. It’s nothing to do with you. F*ck off.

9. If Wayne Rooney breaks his foot, catches cold, or gets out of his car at a funny angle over the next six months, it doesn’t necessarily have to be front page news.

10. Someone at the FA might just realise that it’s more important to have an effective team than to have your most famous players in the side and hope they do the business. I don’t care if Frank c*nting Lampard’s face does net them £500,000 when it’s on the side of a Carlsberg multipack in Sainsbury’s - he’s not an effective member of England’s midfield and hasn’t been for years now - so regardless of how good he is for branding purposes, he shouldn’t be in the side. Simple but true.

AB45

Dec 31, 2003
Essex
Agree with many points MrBen but as Shooms pointed out as soon as we are in front we drop off and invite teams at us. It seems to me to be fear of the response of the crowd/media if we lose that makes our Managers/Teams do this. What we need are MEN who will stand up and be counted regardless of the result. I havent seen that in a team since probably the Robson days. Also why i believe why we need someone at the helm like Keane who will tell it straight. Its not just about playing with passion its about being accounted for. They are professionals who should rise to these occaisions not hide. There are few countries in this world that wouldnt take our team on paper seriously. Our ability is there its just attitude and desire that fails us.

mr ben

Mar 22, 2006
huyton
The 86 team was good... :)

Butcher, Wilkins, Robson etc...

One negative aspect to England has always been sitting too deep & inviting pressure... I get nervy whenever England go a goal up coz we just sit back..

pmsl ..... the one with fenwick in it lol ... or ther one were kenny samson used to bomb on past john barnes thus depriving digger any room to play in :S shooms your having a laugh , that team would have died in that heat in mexico if it would have got any futher and the reason is ( answers on a post card ) ........

COS NO ENGLAND TEAM CAN KEEP HOLD OF THE FOOTBALL

mr ben

Mar 22, 2006
huyton
Agree with many points MrBen but as Shooms pointed out as soon as we are in front we drop off and invite teams at us. It seems to me to be fear of the response of the crowd/media if we lose that makes our Managers/Teams do this. What we need are MEN who will stand up and be counted regardless of the result. I havent seen that in a team since probably the Robson days. Also why i believe why we need someone at the helm like Keane who will tell it straight. Its not just about playing with passion its about being accounted for. They are professionals who should rise to these occaisions not hide. There are few countries in this world that wouldnt take our team on paper seriously. Our ability is there its just attitude and desire that fails us.

i have to disagree ...... those players were arsed and are arsed ... you would have to be a fool to think that every player didn't give there all ...... sometimes it just aint good enough ...... croatia are a better TEAM than us , simple as ,you dont play football on paper ....... roy keane , jose or the lord god himself will never ( imo ) win anything because of the reasons ive stated in this thread ...

you dont play football on paper ....... roy keane , jose or the lord god himself will never ( imo ) win anything because of the reasons ive stated in this thread ...

But you can't quantify passion & pride... it's more than talent... it's belief & if the home crowd are the 12th player than passion & pride should be the 13th (unlucky for some - the opposition)

mr ben

Mar 22, 2006
huyton
But you can't quantify passion & pride... it's more than talent... it's belief & if the home crowd are the 12th player than passion & pride should be the 13th (unlucky for some - the opposition)

shooms your missing my point .... pride and passion may get you through a half , sometimes even a whole game .... but to win tournaments you have to do more than just huff and puff .. you have to play with nouse , with quality with guile .... please tell me why our national team heroes recently are players like terry butcher , paul ince ... because the opitomise the bulldog spirit lol ???? ( give me lothar mattheus to paul ince anyday ) ... well they were soon found out when the chips were down , when the big tournaments kicked off .... it aint enough , our game is to long , not enough movement , no ten yard pass ... i could go on but your not getting me.

shooms your missing my point .... pride and passion may get you through a half , sometimes even a whole game .... but to win tournaments you have to do more than just huff and puff .. you have to play with nouse , with quality with guile .... please tell me while our national team heroes recently are players like terry butcher , paul ince ... because the opitomise the bulldog spirit lol ... well they were soon found out when the chips were down , when the big tournaments kicked off .... it aint enough , our game is to long , not enough movement , no ten yard pass ... i could go on but your not getting me.

I am getting you but when have we ever played like that ? And looked comfortable doing it ? And who says that is THE way to play ?

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
i have to disagree ...... those players were arsed and are arsed ... you would have to be a fool to think that every player didn't give there all ...... sometimes it just aint good enough ...... croatia are a better TEAM than us , simple as ,you dont play football on paper ....... roy keane , jose or the lord god himself will never ( imo ) win anything because of the reasons ive stated in this thread ...

True, Croatia were the better team, and England are dreadful at keeping the ball, but I dont think you can discount confidence, team spirit or tactics for that matter. This squad are completely bereft of it when they pull on the shirt because of many reasons starting with the management setup.

Good players like Gerrard etc dont become shite or passionless overnight, they are scared stiff of playing for their country, as AB says, its down to attitude.

You dont have to be world beaters to win tournaments, look at Greece in 2004, and Denmark in 1992. Both teams had a gameplan and it worked perfectly

As for the next manager, I'd like to see Mourinho, he inspires people, and those lads out there last night needed that in bucketloads

mr ben

Mar 22, 2006
huyton
I am getting you but when have we ever played like that ? And looked comfortable doing it ? And who says that is THE way to play ?

erm

hollands team of total football of the 70's
any brasil side
any benfica team of the 60's
any liverpool team of the 70s - 80's
the milan sides of the 80's
arsenals teams of a few years ago ( the unbeaten one )

if you dont keep the ball you cant play ... and we resemble a wimbledon but packed with superstars :(

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
To be honest as well, it is a fucking disgrace that any team should be booed at half time like England seem to get a lot

At least wait till the end of the match to make your feelings known

Look at the support the scottish fans give the team now that the bad old days of Berti have gone but even in those days the booing was never at half time and was directed at the SFA idiots who appointed Berti in the first place

English fans are too fickle and expect too much in general, this is maybe the shake up the game needs down there

Go into tournaments playing well and then doing well and being pleased instead of sraping in and then expecting to win it. I know a lot is the media but I have lived and worked in england and it is as much the fans as well in a lot of cases who also get carried away.

You need to get more english players playing in the premierships best teams week in week out. You need to play the form players instead of the media favourites. You need to be a little bit more realistic and let the players play with no pressure so they can play the way they need to instead of hoofing it up to Crouchy cause they are afraid of missing a pass or taking a chance and then being crucified for it.

You also need to stop big ass yanks ripping your pitch up before the match