Cd Deck Massive

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
Denon DN S5000

Alpha track facility means effectively you only need one deck all night :thumbsup: Plus it has a real spinning platter for the tactile amongst us (like me)

Technics 1210 mk5 x 2, Denon DN S5000 x 1, Numark 5000fx mixer x 1, loads of vinyl & the occasional cd = one happy Shooms :D

YouTube - Denon DN-S5000 in action

23basi.2xl.jpg

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
pioneer cdj 1000's, all the 1000's are top to use mkII/mkIII

my m8 has the new denon, uses a hard drive, excellent piece of kit..

still like the pioneers though :)

Last edited:

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
Nice :D

nifty idea of using the one deck to mix , great clippage :cool:

Denon DN S5000

Alpha track facility means effectively you only need one deck all night :thumbsup: Plus it has a real spinning platter for the tactile amongst us (like me)

Technics 1210 mk5 x 2, Denon DN S5000 x 1, Numark 5000fx mixer x 1, loads of vinyl & the occasional cd = one happy Shooms :D

YouTube - Denon DN-S5000 in action

23basi.2xl.jpg

dazz m

Mar 13, 2006
sunny morecambe
ive got the one like the photo above- the denon dns3500.
imho its the dogs dangly bits!! i use it to play me rare italo mp3's on.
still a vinyl purist though!phones:

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Not wanting to rubbish the CDJ's at all, but here's my take on it.

I had a Denon and a Pioneer CDJ1000mk3 and whilst they were good and handy for playing things that weren't on vinyl (new stuff and maybe tunes you didn't own/rare etc) the control wasn't the same as vinyl.

The Pioneer was sturdy and the reverse function was ok, for the money though they are far too pricey imo, unless you really are going to use them a lot.

The Denon was a better deck out of the two as it had some built in effects, echo/filter/flanger and they really were good.

Scratching on either deck was truly awful though, you'll never replicate the vinyl control with a CD deck.

I sold both my CDJ's and have gone back to using a laptop with Final Scratch.

The reasons for that are;

usage
cost of media (cd's)
space

I network a laptop, so anything I download new or old can instantly be accessed over the network and fed into Final Scratch. The control is still vinyl as the time coded vinyls do the job nicely, it saves on space and there's no cost at all for any media which saves on time and money.

It's an alternative and works best for me, might not be for everyone but something to consider.

:)

I considered FS as I really like the product & like you say the manipulation is the same (agree about scratching on cdj) but I'm not a big mp3 fan - I wanted 4 channels worth of input (& no space for 2 more decks) so the Denon is the ideal compromise for me; 4 channels of input for 3 pieces of kit :)

For what it's worth if Denons & Pioneers had an even playing field (ie. Pioneer weren't giving away the kit to clubs to get it saturated in the market) then in my opinion Denon would be the clear winner - by far the better piece of kit. People buy Pioneers purely because they are 'industry standard'...

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
I considered FS as I really like the product & like you say the manipulation is the same (agree about scratching on cdj) but I'm not a big mp3 fan - I wanted 4 channels worth of input (& no space for 2 more decks) so the Denon is the ideal compromise for me; 4 channels of input for 3 pieces of kit :)

Final Scratch uses either mp3 or wav files - I only ever use wav files on it - for the fact that it analyzes wav files faster than mp3 and the quality is superb.

A lot of people are put off that FS is marketed at the mp3 market, but don't realise it uses wav files too :D

FS hardware lets you configure so you have 2 x decks and 2 x line (the line are the final scratch inputs) so you can use all 4 inputs on the mixer and switch easily between the two - I have 2 mixers though and 3 decks with FS in my current setup to allow faster mixing and additional scratching as I'm a fussy fucker :$

zot

May 8, 2005
Plymouth, U.K
Had some 1200 mk2's for about 15years, last year converted to Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3'S and a Pioneer DJM800 Mixer.

Took about a week to suss beatmatchin propely but wouldn't look back, sound quality, functions, effects and freedom to mix anything is unreal....love em :D

bren

Oct 10, 2007
ive just bought a set of pioneer cdj's 1000 mk3 and im so glad ive bought them never will go back to vinyl :thumbsup:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Im a poor man when considered to you lot with your flash 1000's.

I have just updated my faithfull pioneer cdj100's which will be up for sale soon (maybe). I got a pair Pioneer cdj800 mkII's for £600 and they are top class. I have nothing on cd other than a few cd's i burned myself of some of my records where I wanted doubles.....now I will burn my whole collection across as for simple beat mixing they are a peice of piss although ive not got the hang of vinyl mode fully yet.

For me vinyl is king and will never be replaced, warn analogue sound with homely pops and the physical connection of fingers to vinyl........:| I need to calm down a little. So if possible keep both!

For me 800's perfect and I would recommend, cheaper than 1000's, solid standard pioneer construction but still will not replace vinyl.

s

Postie

VIP Silver Member
Jan 22, 2006
St Helens
Even though i am a fan of cdjs there are negative points that prove vinyl is better.The life span of a burned cdr disc is approximately 2-5 yrs Storage expert warns of short life span for burned CDs so they deffo get a thumbs down there,i do own some pion 1000s and enjoy em,but like everything novelty wears off and find me self resorting more to me tech decks more and more,when i bought em i nearly sold me decks,glad i never now coz in my opinion they still rule

easty

VIP Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
I'm just about to buy a pioneer cdj 800 and a 1000 mk 2 of posca. I have always been pro cdj and can't understand anyone whos against them really.
I think it boils down whether your thing is the enjoyment of playing old skool vinyls on a pair of decks. Or imo your into the real meaning of djing which is sharing what u have with as many people as you can and breaking new tunes and styles.
For me its more about enjoying the music, I am not arsed which media I use to play it as long as I get to play it. With cdj's i will get to play stuff I can't get on vinyl.
What peeps should realise is that back in the day when it all started coming though in chicago and new york etc is that according to what I have read is that people used to go mad and look forward to when the reel to reel tapes were played with all the new stuff and stuff that was not available on vinyl. Surely cdj's and stuff like serato scratch are just this generations reel 2 reel tapes.
Now if peeps were getting excited back then when the dj was not using decks and vinyl why can't people accept that now?:confused: :confused: :confused:

bexleydurden

Jun 8, 2008
'Sconge, West Lancs
I've got the Denon DN -HS5500, the two decks in one shizm! It's coupled up to a 250gb Western Digital usb drive. I love the fact I don't have to burn anything to CD. I just rip vinyl straight to the external drive and play. You can also fit it with optional internal drive or CD deck but I don't see the point! :D

image-dnhs5500-top.jpg

I've got the Denon DN -HS5500, the two decks in one shizm! It's coupled up to a 250gb Western Digital usb drive. I love the fact I don't have to burn anything to CD. I just rip vinyl straight to the external drive and play. You can also fit it with optional internal drive or CD deck but I don't see the point! :D

image-dnhs5500-top.jpg

That's the one I want to eventually upgrade my DNS5000 to :)

Denons rock :D

bexleydurden

Jun 8, 2008
'Sconge, West Lancs
I'm a vinyl man by choice but the 5500 is just about on the money in my opinion. The pick up on the platter and general feel isn't that far off a 1210. I've been well impressed with it and the fact i can now play 50gb + of music straight off an external drive just makes it a fine bit of kit.

I've never tried the pioneers or any other type of cdr, went straight from 1210's to this. Running the Denon and 1210's thru a 4 channel Vestax you cannot believe how much 4 deck fun you can have!

I'm a vinyl man by choice but the 5500 is just about on the money in my opinion. The pick up on the platter and general feel isn't that far off a 1210. I've been well impressed with it and the fact i can now play 50gb + of music straight off an external drive just makes it a fine bit of kit.

I've never tried the pioneers or any other type of cdr, went straight from 1210's to this. Running the Denon and 1210's thru a 4 channel Vestax you cannot believe how much 4 deck fun you can have!

Bang on mate :thumbsup:

V similar to my experience with the DNS5000 - the platter feels v v similar to Technics 1210...the alpha track / mirror track is just SO much fun :D

The 5500 looks sexier & from what I've read is easily than the 5000 (which was a bitch to to get my head around)

Thanks for the New FADS mix btw - much appreciated :D