Cd Deck Massive

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
I think Ed (presuming..) had a Technics one and said it wasn't great, need him to confirm as my memory isn't the best :ghost:

Best is always to try before you buy, think of the cost though if you are buying 2 CDJ's as if you already have a laptop, FS second hand you could pick up for just over a ton...

:thumbsup:

ill ask ed cheers scott

ive seen FS on offer for 300 pound last week

Candyman

Jan 15, 2007
GT Yarmouth
www.corruptskys.co.uk
I've used a few mixers in the past but the set i use atm is the dogs wedding tackle for the way i mix :D

I use 1 of these ---> Behringer VMX 1000
and 2 of these ---> Citronic CD-S6 Ultima

Not that i use BPM counters, but i must admit the CD deck BPM counters are extremely good with break-beat, not seen anything else work quite as well.

The control is very much like vinyl all be it a bit more sensitive than the real thing and for scratching they are ace fun, but not as great sounding as the real thing, however they more than make up 4 that with the awsome functions, like auto cue, +&- 100% pitch control and the A-B loop is like nothing else i have used 4 a live mix. Google them both for full stats :D

the-ibiza-raver

Jun 28, 2006
having not dj,d for ten years and having sold my vinyl collection to a friend for 15 quid :confused: back in the day, i brought some cheap ass stuff billy bog basic stantons . they are crap but i can live with it as i enjoy kicking out and avin it large in the shed phones: (wife said no to dj equipment in the house, plus i live in the same house as when i dj,d ten years ago and the neighbours had it loud then) but will upgrade to better cd/decks next year as and when . dj now for enjoyment and i find the cd ripping a lot easier and cheaper as my friend let me copy his and my old collection ,feels guilty and all that.:D

shazza

VIP Silver Member
Nov 30, 2007
bootle liverpool
lol ive numark decks n "home mix" cd fingy...not a clue...once had 1210s n cant get the hang of cd mixin...not that i can vinyl either lolol....but its all about the music for me n never thought id rekindle the yearnin for it again....then there was OSA!!! :thumbsup:

Brock Landers

Staff member
I'm going to be labelled a heretic here, but I don't care....

I had some 1210s in the early 90s and had a decent vinyl collection, but sold them all when I sort of fell out of DJing for a few years. In 95ish, I got some more decks and started a new collection, but stopped and sold my decks in about 2001. I still have my vinyl.

I've lately started to dabble with the digital side of things with Traktor and Ableton. I have a small (but perfectly formed) record collection to rip and this is what I intend to do.

The biggest thing for me with the digital side of things is the ability to loop with ease and add whatever fx you like whenever and wherever you like. I am now more able to play whatever I want tune wise instead of half worrying about things like closely matching bpms etc.

The possibilities are endless. I am now looking to buy a midi controller, but do I go for a cheapo one or a more expensive version? I'm also intrigued at the possibilty of using something like a midi keyboard to trigger events etc.

If anyone uses a midi controller, can you let me know what model and what you think of it?

Dj_Reaper

Aug 6, 2007
Morecambe
Similar time / history as you Brock,

I had some 1210s in the early 90s and had a decent vinyl collection etc and ended up initially selling my first set in about '95

In about '97 or '98 I bought some gemini top of the range direct drives as they were supposed to be competitors to the 1210's (and they were good!)

Eventually, got bored / skint / different life circumstances etc and sold them off in about '99

Kept hold of my tunes until about 2001? which by that time I had traded out the nif naff and kept what I thought were the good uns. Sold them to Dj Butty who drove with 2-3 of his mates from manchester to pick them up from Gosport (was working down south!).

Bought / Tried one of those hercules usb thingies and trakktor in about 2004 but wasnt that keen.

Took the final plunge and bought 2 x CDJ1000 MK3 and 1 x DJM 800 about a week ago. Have been chuffed to bits since. After not being on decks for a long while, beat matching is ez enough (and easier than 1210's)..

What i'm suprised at really is that non of the companies have put a small speaker on the underside of their platter to give the dj a 'feel' of a record when he is scratching. It will take me a while to get the feel of scratching as you cant feel the record :)

But hey.. happy dayz

The DJM800 offers Midi interface if you were going digital

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
Purchased the DENON DS5000

and just spent the last couple of hours having a play on it

took a little getting used to the platter as i found it ever so sensitive at first but have got my head round it now so gonna get my head round everything else that it does

:cool:

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley

took a little getting used to the platter as i found it ever so sensitive at first but have got my head round it now so gonna get my head round everything else that it does

Let me know what you think mate im buying a new cdj next month and its between this and the 1000:king:

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004

Only use the platter for cueing/scractchin etc.

Use the pitch bend button + - to make adjustments rather than using the platter :thumbsup:

If u get stuck with any of the main functions giza shout :thumbsup:

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
will do wayne :cool:

Let me know what you think mate im buying a new cdj next month and its between this and the 1000:king:

Only use the platter for cueing/scractchin etc.

Use the pitch bend button + - to make adjustments rather than using the platter :thumbsup:

If u get stuck with any of the main functions giza shout :thumbsup:

cheers jack , spoke to chris about this last night , ive been doing it both ways , the + - do make it a lot more subtle

had a play about with the loops last night , pretty cool hehe :cool:

will do wayne :cool:

cheers jack , spoke to chris about this last night , ive been doing it both ways , the + - do make it a lot more subtle

had a play about with the loops last night , pretty cool hehe :cool:

I love my Denon.... & I haven't really got the best out of it yet :) Pisses over the CDJ 800 mkII I had :)

You can also put funky slipmatts on Neil - check here

Glowtronics Denon DN-S 5000 Slipmats

OR you can even attach a real 7" for that proper vinyl feel when you scratch :D :cool:

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
I love my Denon.... & I haven't really got the best out of it yet :) Pisses over the CDJ 800 mkII I had :)

You can also put funky slipmatts on Neil - check here

Glowtronics Denon DN-S 5000 Slipmats

OR you can even attach a real 7" for that proper vinyl feel when you scratch :D :cool:

Right im going to go for the dennon. Wheres cheapeast?

got this here?? Denon DN-S5000

£695.95

And 1 question can you play straight from the hardrive with tunes??

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley