Windows 7 hates music or is it me?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
Bought a laptop (hp notebook G62) just to record and make music but it:

Doesnt have a line in and suggests plugging decks with traktor in the microphone socket resulting in the maddest hi-pitched echo and feckin wierd delay between the headfones and speakers making it impossible to mix.

After 2 months of pissing about this gave me the blue screen of death so...

hp sent me out a new hard drive and repair discs and guess what, its doing it again :(

Just tried to install cubase and the latest thing preventing it is CLED Error which by googling is not supported by windows 7.

Its not the hardware, mixer and traktor etc is legit. I have uninstalled and re-installed loads of times, swapped mixers etc. Its either this laptop or windows 7

Anyone having similar problems? I have windows XP, is it worth going through the motions of installing it to fix both problems or a waste of time and probably better to return the laptop which I was told would support these programs.

Me without music is :( :| :| :cry:

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
What version of cubase are you trying to install.. and is it the cracked version with a dongle emulator?

Yes it is Coma, I sorted Pauly out with it, Cubase SX3 with the Dongle protector.

Pauly id deff install windows XP it what I use and I hardly have any probs with it.

ComaProject

Oct 24, 2010
Yes it is Coma, I sorted Pauly out with it, Cubase SX3 with the Dongle protector

Thought so. Windows 7 doesnt like the cracked version of sx3 you see. Some issue with the dongle emulator I think.

Anyway, just upgrade to cubase v5 and you wont have a problem.... or as Silky suggested, go back to using sx3 on a windows xp system instead (or make it dual boot).

ComaProject

Oct 24, 2010
whats dual boot?

.. its where you install more than one operating system on your computer and choose which operating system you want to use every time you start your pc.

Basically if you already have windows 7 on your system, all you need to do is create a new partition and put windows xp on it (and also cubase sx on that partition). Then create a boot loader so that you get both XP and Windows 7 as options in the Windows Boot screen when you start your pc up. I'm sure there are lots of how2guides on the internet to walk you through setting it up.

.. its where you install more than one operating system on your computer and choose which operating system you want to use every time you start your pc.

Basically if you already have windows 7 on your system, all you need to do is create a new partition and put windows xp on it (and also cubase sx on that partition). Then create a boot loader so that you get both XP and Windows 7 as options in the Windows Boot screen when you start your pc up. I'm sure there are lots of how2guides on the internet to walk you through setting it up.

that would suit me :thumbsup:

will give it a go,.

though I do have a habit of messing things like this up

GARY JAY

Nov 30, 2005
Wrexham/slsk-GAZ69
Try Right Click on the speaker icon at the bottom of the screen ,then Recording Devices , right click anywhere in the box that appears and click 'Show Disabled Devices' then Right Click on 'Line-In' then click 'Properties' then 'Listen' then make sure the 'Listen To This Device' is UNTICKED .. then hit 'Apply' then 'OK' .. this worked for me and its worth a try.

Try Right Click on the speaker icon at the bottom of the screen ,then Recording Devices , right click anywhere in the box that appears and click 'Show Disabled Devices' then Right Click on 'Line-In' then click 'Properties' then 'Listen' then make sure the 'Listen To This Device' is UNTICKED .. then hit 'Apply' then 'OK' .. this worked for me and its worth a try.

I wanted that to happen originally but I dont get an option of a line in :(

Right, after twiddling around for months and getting nowhere, win7 can shove it ... :|

Ive acquired 2 Dell laptops through work with XP so will be putting Silky's cubase on it at last :)D )

BUT thought I would just test Traktor first...

NO SOUND on either laptop WTF!

I have exactly the same settings as on an old battered acer laptop (also with XP) which plays and records perfectly for 5 minutes before crashing.

So it aint traktor, mixer, decks, audio 8, wiring etc at fault.

The only difference as I can see is the old laptop has a different soundcard (realtek). The new ones have sigmatel. I have the latest drivers etc so it cant be them can it. My old desktop PC had sigmatel drivers and that was ok.

There's gremlins in my basement and they are driving me round the Fucking twist!

bren

Oct 10, 2007
thats why i would never use any sort of windows programm or anything to do with windows as they = shite you should have invested in a mac tbh mate

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
Cough Bren you've played on VDJ and Traktor on this Lenovo an it never missed a beat lol:p
5 hours sets are regular things on this wi no problem switching from Traktor to VDJ
Only blue screen i had was running VDJ and Ableton together and i accidentally assigned the midi to both of em...

Pauly, that thing still giving problems?