Why?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Candyman

Jan 15, 2007
GT Yarmouth
www.corruptskys.co.uk
Ok, so we have 2 threads with lists of tunes you all love to hate (many I play on a Friday night lol)

So what I want to know is (hence the title) Why don't you like them? Let's get some reasons behind the hate. :thumbsup:

For example... I can't stand the tune Break Machine - Street Dance

Why? Well, I dropped this one week as a joke, but to my complete shock I found the chat box going nutz to it? ....I nearly pulled the plug right there'n then lol

It's just cheese on cheese with edam on top >< IMO there is no good track with a dude singing... and this 1 just takes the piss. The layout, the sounds, the bass, the vocals in this tune are just utter crap.

Sooooooo.... over to you lot, let's hear some justification for your reasons 'why' you don't like some tunes. :thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I grew up with breakdance stuff all around me and this is a proper feel good tune for mephones: I've dropped it here too and it's gone down really well:cool:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
There is a dark cloud over OSA there a lot of topics about hating music funny as!

End of summer i guess! thats the only thing i can think off! :S

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Ok, so we have 2 threads with lists of tunes you all love to hate (many I play on a Friday night lol)

So what I want to know is (hence the title) Why don't you like them? Let's get some reasons behind the hate. :thumbsup:

For example... I can't stand the tune Break Machine - Street Dance

Why? Well, I dropped this one week as a joke, but to my complete shock I found the chat box going nutz to it? ....I nearly pulled the plug right there'n then lol

It's just cheese on cheese with edam on top >< IMO there is no good track with a dude singing... and this 1 just takes the piss. The layout, the sounds, the bass, the vocals in this tune are just utter crap.

Sooooooo.... over to you lot, let's hear some justification for your reasons 'why' you don't like some tunes. :thumbsup:

Quality Tune in my opinion and I love playing it and it goes down well on here.

Why can a tune not be any good with a bloke singing on it? Lost me there.

fairy 1

Jul 3, 2008
manchester
For me it has to be hardcore(gabba especially),went to a night out in 94 and it was just a load of drugged up clubbers gurning,it put me right off as i didnt feel any good love going on.
Every1 was mean as hell and so unaproachable,b4 that i didnt mind it but it put me right off.Have listened it since but unfortunatley im not feeling it,to hard to dance to and it can be very repeatative,would like to name the tracks but dont know em lol:D

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
ok, i mentioned these on the other thread:

brothers love dubs – mighty ming

with this one i don't think it's the tune itself, i'm actually struggling to put my finger on exactly why it winds me up. i think it's that many people seem to rate this in their top 10 of all time, and it annoys me a bit that people love it so much when for me it's average at best. it's not that i expect everyone to like the same stuff as me, but there are so many better prog tunes out there. bit of a crap reason i know but it's the best i can do, sorry :$

underworld - born slippy

now this one really is poo, just a kickdrum and a bloke shouting "lager", commercial tat of the first order. if it hadn't been in trainspotting it would have disappeared into obscurity as the worst tune underworld every made. dark and long (which was also in the film) is a million times better imo

young mc – know how

should'nt have put this down really, it is good but it's one of the most overplayed tunes out there and i'm sick of hearing it

jx – son of a gun

another triumph of popularity over quality. loads of people liked this so it used to get played everywhere, and i hated having to hear it so often cos there's just nothing to it, just boring and annoying

tony di bart – the real thing

if break machine is edam, then is is the full on stilton camenbert stinking bishop treatment. nice n easy lemon squeezy peasy cheesy t0ss

anything ever played by judge jules after the end of 92

this one requires no explanation :thumbsup:

i know these "i hate" threads are a bit negative, but i really enjoyed reading that one, some very funny comments in there. sometimes it's good to get things off your chest :thumbsup:

Candyman

Jan 15, 2007
GT Yarmouth
www.corruptskys.co.uk
Yeah, this aint a thread about 'Break Dance', Nupski hit the nail on the head and gave some reasons to why some tunes no longer (or never have) made ya brain feel like its getting licked by angles.

All the other threads are great, nothing wrong with them at all, but let's get some reasons, i want to know why people go off tunes, why they don't like them in the 1st place... etc.

So post ya tune(s) & ya reason(s) for it propping up the wonky leg of the table here. :thumbsup:

...Just 1 more time for my mate Monty. Bad tune + Reason why mate :thumbsup:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Yeah, this aint a thread about 'Break Dance', Nupski hit the nail on the head and gave some reasons to why some tunes no longer (or never have) made ya brain feel like its getting licked by angles.

All the other threads are great, nothing wrong with them at all, but let's get some reasons, i want to know why people go off tunes, why they don't like them in the 1st place... etc.

So post ya tune(s) & ya reason(s) for it propping up the wonky leg of the table here. :thumbsup:

...Just 1 more time for my mate Monty. Bad tune + Reason why mate :thumbsup:

That tune i posted above is a tune i like but you mentioned you don't like male vocal tunes but i like that one! :D

PS:I like male vocals in bands! but not really as much in dance music some tho!

Last edited:

Candyman

Jan 15, 2007
GT Yarmouth
www.corruptskys.co.uk
Oh yeah, that reminds me, about male vocals (not a big fan on vocals full stop, samples are ok tho) but in 1 word to describe male vocal singing in tunes... Gay. There i said it, just not right imo :D

1 excption to the rule in my world, and that is if it's a funny tune. :thumbsup:

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Oh yeah, that reminds me, about male vocals (not a big fan on vocals full stop, samples are ok tho) but in 1 word to describe male vocal singing in tunes... Gay. There i said it, just not right imo :D

1 excption to the rule in my world, and that is if it's a funny tune. :thumbsup:

Ref: Male Vocals been Gay.

All Music or just Dance Music?

Aug 10, 2005
Blackburn

Dont agree with that, vocals are one the the strongest part of dance music IMO, if it sounds good, it sounds good! Regardless of the singer being male or female :)

fairy 1

Jul 3, 2008
manchester
Oh no,i like gay music,i love vocal house,love to sing along to it,to suggest male vocal house is gay is a loads of codswollop,and what the hell is gay music anyway,(erasure,jimmy sommerville and pet shop boys?.):)

tilt

Mar 2, 2004
Germany
Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You
Daft Punk all except Da Funk

I hate that Disco-cut-up style; always the same over 8 minutes. So fukkin boooooring :mad:

Candyman

Jan 15, 2007
GT Yarmouth
www.corruptskys.co.uk
Ref: Male Vocals been Gay.

All Music or just Dance Music?

All male singing in every single tune created, just makes me cringe along with 90% of female singing too. I like the sounds of music, vocals spoil many tunes imo. A good sample here'n there can sound like part of the track, but singing over does it imo. ....oh and raping has to be the worst, not only is it a collection of vocal sounds that mostly drown out the tracks musical sounds, but you can't understand 90% of a word they say? and the words you can pick out in many cases with rap suggest the person that wrote the lyrics has some very disturbing problems that need heavy medical treatment. :D

Music is music, singing is singing, you either like it or ya don't, i don't :p

Oh and while were on the subject of singing... Why do people make tunes with depressing lyrics and sounds? I can't understand why anybody would want to put a tune on that talks about a broken relationship or death??? Why would anybody want to feel depressed or be reminded by a tune about something they can directly relate to from a bad past experience??????

Music for me is ment to make you feel happy, give you a lift, energy... etc If a tune fails to do this, it's a tune I personally wont like. :cops:

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
break machine = tune ( i like it, suppose you had to be there when it came out, used to get hammered in mi pa's pub)

male vocals are crap - nah, i like alot of male vocals, i love the disco sound etc. n there is alot of male vocal.

lastly, why you need a reason for a tune to be crap? you can instantly not like a tune, n have no reason, hence i frikkin hate.. bit machine - somebody real

you go off tunes all the time, you change yourself, your life can change and you no longer like em, you realise that these oldskool commercial tunes are absolutely shit, n the better produced tunes with more thought for emotion, where ignored 1st time round, coz they werent dancefloor cheesey friendly. and there's frikkin loads of cool tunes that were ignored :)