Why?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
Oh and while were on the subject of singing... Why do people make tunes with depressing lyrics and sounds? I can't understand why anybody would want to put a tune on that talks about a broken relationship or death??? Why would anybody want to feel depressed or be reminded by a tune about something they can directly relate to from a bad past experience??????
:

because music is about emotions, n there's lots of that :thumbsup:

you are very single minded

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
It's crazy isn't it how the brain works! the wrong sequence of signals and it can cause a negative response.

I can't explain why some songs/tunes cause annoyance, it's far easier to say they just annoy me.

Rhythm is a mystery is a tune I bought and played a couple of times when it came out, then grew an aversion too. Different DJ's In Maximes in 91 would all play the same big tunes on the same night because they all had pre worked out sets and therefore that might have helped me get annoyed every time I heard it from then on, but Nightcrawlers and Robin S - Show me love have annoyed me from first hearing them:crazy:

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
ok, i mentioned these on the other thread:

brothers love dubs – mighty ming

with this one i don't think it's the tune itself, i'm actually struggling to put my finger on exactly why it winds me up. i think it's that many people seem to rate this in their top 10 of all time, and it annoys me a bit that people love it so much when for me it's average at best. it's not that i expect everyone to like the same stuff as me, but there are so many better prog tunes out there. bit of a crap reason i know but it's the best i can do, sorry :$

underworld - born slippy

now this one really is poo, just a kickdrum and a bloke shouting "lager", commercial tat of the first order. if it hadn't been in trainspotting it would have disappeared into obscurity as the worst tune underworld every made. dark and long (which was also in the film) is a million times better imo

young mc – know how

should'nt have put this down really, it is good but it's one of the most overplayed tunes out there and i'm sick of hearing it

jx – son of a gun

another triumph of popularity over quality. loads of people liked this so it used to get played everywhere, and i hated having to hear it so often cos there's just nothing to it, just boring and annoying

tony di bart – the real thing

if break machine is edam, then is is the full on stilton camenbert stinking bishop treatment. nice n easy lemon squeezy peasy cheesy t0ss

anything ever played by judge jules after the end of 92

this one requires no explanation :thumbsup:

i know these "i hate" threads are a bit negative, but i really enjoyed reading that one, some very funny comments in there. sometimes it's good to get things off your chest :thumbsup:

Its funny i love all these lOl- i have hammered young mc for many many years and more and still love it :love:

Pieman

Jun 30, 2009
on't hill
Oh and while were on the subject of singing... Why do people make tunes with depressing lyrics and sounds? I can't understand why anybody would want to put a tune on that talks about a broken relationship or death??? Why would anybody want to feel depressed or be reminded by a tune about something they can directly relate to from a bad past experience??????

personally i like the smiths as a bit of a change from the norm.

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
All male singing in every single tune created, just makes me cringe along with 90% of female singing too. I like the sounds of music, vocals spoil many tunes imo. A good sample here'n there can sound like part of the track, but singing over does it imo. ....oh and raping has to be the worst, not only is it a collection of vocal sounds that mostly drown out the tracks musical sounds, but you can't understand 90% of a word they say? and the words you can pick out in many cases with rap suggest the person that wrote the lyrics has some very disturbing problems that need heavy medical treatment. :D

Music is music, singing is singing, you either like it or ya don't, i don't :p

Music for me is ment to make you feel happy, give you a lift, energy... etc If a tune fails to do this, it's a tune I personally wont like. :cops:

You listen to music in your own way thats cool! but what about the ragga rap part in Geneside 2 - Narra Mine come on Ste that part is amazing!

Last edited:

Candyman

Jan 15, 2007
GT Yarmouth
www.corruptskys.co.uk
You listen to music in your own way thats cool! but what about the ragga rap part in Geneside 2 - Narra Mine come on Ste that part is amazing!

I agree, it fit's well and sounds ok, like the part in rhythm is a dancer, but personally I would much rather hear some mad hoovers instead, ...or some insane stabs :D but that's just me and what i like to hear. :thumbsup:

Candyman

Jan 15, 2007
GT Yarmouth
www.corruptskys.co.uk
I got ya! ;)

You love ya Darkside! :D

Deffo, dark sounds with a wicked breakbeat, deffo does it 4 me, love happycore and uplifting stuff that puts a smile on ya face and makes ya wanna jump about the place too, that's music to me, but we all different.

This is one of the reasons i started this thread, its interesting how other ppl are diff, tick in all diff' ways, it's nice that others like other things, but as i don't like some of the things others do, it's interesting to try to find out what parts do it 4 them and why.

Is it just a case of "Well this is the sort of tunes i first heard and started to like in clubs and venues with all my mates as they liked it too" or is it more than that? For me i hated music till i was about 15 and heard rave sounds, up till then the only tunes i did like were on commodore 64 computer games and demos. So i can't say i like the sounds i like as i grew up with those sounds, if that was the case i'd be asking to dj on classic fm... lol

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
Its funny i love all these lOl- i have hammered young mc for many many years and more and still love it :love:

not judge jules surely lol :S :p

as for the others, it's each to his/her own i suppose, i love the fact that our musical tastes are all so different. i didn't necessarily pick those tunes because i think they're the worst ever made, there are definitely a lot worse than those, except for born slippy of course ;) mostly i tried to go for ones that are well liked by others that i have a particular, irrational aversion to and to explain my reasons as honestly as i could :thumbsup:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Deffo, dark sounds with a wicked breakbeat, deffo does it 4 me, love happycore and uplifting stuff that puts a smile on ya face and makes ya wanna jump about the place too, that's music to me, but we all different.

This is one of the reasons i started this thread, its interesting how other ppl are diff, tick in all diff' ways, it's nice that others like other things, but as i don't like some of the things others do, it's interesting to try to find out what parts do it 4 them and why.

Is it just a case of "Well this is the sort of tunes i first heard and started to like in clubs and venues with all my mates as they liked it too" or is it more than that? For me i hated music till i was about 15 and heard rave sounds, up till then the only tunes i did like were on commodore 64 computer games and demos. So i can't say i like the sounds i like as i grew up with those sounds, if that was the case i'd be asking to dj on classic fm... lol

I totally understand mate! music with energy giving you an upward feeling or at least neutral (no less) but if it drops below neutral the feeling starts to be on a downward slope (a downer feeling) as it is hitting below neutral the more it falls the more of a downer! it's a hard one to explain but i i understand!

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
you've obviously never heard it in the right setting lol

BloveD is immense, again on a decent soundsystem this is awesome, the synth at the end also immense

lol point taken, the setting is deffo important.

as i said in my previous post i tried to go for ones that are liked by others, and my reasons are mostly personal and irrational, so it's not surprising that some peeps will disagree :thumbsup:

i have played and heard cafe del mar all over the place though so i can't help wondering which setting you were thinking of ;)

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
not judge jules surely lol :S :p

as for the others, it's each to his/her own i suppose, i love the fact that our musical tastes are all so different. i didn't necessarily pick those tunes because i think they're the worst ever made, there are definitely a lot worse than those, except for born slippy of course ;) mostly i tried to go for ones that are well liked by others that i have a particular, irrational aversion to and to explain my reasons as honestly as i could :thumbsup:

Dont worry you can sleep soundly in the knowledge that i am not a judge jules lover :D

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
I would much rather hear some mad hoovers instead, ...or some insane stabs :D but that's just me and what i like to hear. :thumbsup:

what if mundo n beltram had never found the 'whats this' preset, or the preset hadnt been invented, what would you like.... dont say darkcore etc. coz alot of that music stems from mentasm, if that track hadnt been put out, what would music be like.. ..anyway, what would you be listening to, just out of interest..

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
what if mundo n beltram had never found the 'whats this' preset, or the preset hadnt been invented, what would you like.... dont say darkcore etc. coz alot of that music stems from mentasm, if that track hadnt been put out, what would music be like.. ..anyway, what would you be listening to, just out of interest..

what if the amen break had never been invented? would this convo even exist for you 2 to disagree on it?