What or Who got you into OS

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
Phil_Bks said:

"Stetsasonic? - A name you will never forget, but if you can't say it all.....JUST SAY STET!!!!"

Quality!!. Proper old skool indeed Mr Tonksi!!

I was into the above, plus, Grandmaster Flash, Roxanne Shante, World Class Wreckin Cru, The Egyptian Lover, LL Cool J, ("Radio" and "Bigger & Deffer" - two class albums, before he went all "luvvie"), Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince ("He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper", top album, again, so many years before "Summertime", think he was 15 when he recorded HTDJITR), Run DMC, Derek B, Public Enemy, Silver Bullet.....

Cool!...

Wow :eyes: someone else who loved the stuff I did. I went to see Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five at the Manchester Apollo and Street Machine were the support act - I still have a whole album of photos of that! I also saw Public Enemy, LL Cool J and Chakka Khan around the same time! Those were the days ......;) :D

Cookie xx

tall paul

Sep 19, 2001
Liverpool
Had a couple of mate's in school who were bang into hip-hop, electro etc. (much to the riddicule of the wham massive) and progressed on from there. We went to a do in Southport floral hall in around '90 i think, which was the first 'legal' rave in the northwest. It's a huge venue & all they had was it very dark with a bit of smoke and a couple of moonflowers & strobes with a massive sound system. I didn't really know the score then and was stood at the side of the dancefloor with me pint of bitter looking quite bemused at the strange dancing & wondering why everyone was being so friendly. But absolutely loved the tunes and still do 12years later.

dannster

VIP Silver Member
Nov 11, 2001
Haydock
www.dannster.com
Our kid (older sister) got me into it - Introduced me to the tunes via tapes of the 808 - State show on 102fm, I was 15 - a bit on the young side. and our kid was goin to mad raves and stuff and I was dead Jealous. The music was comin out of the Acid House era and into the upliftin piano house era where all the best tunes were made - I think it was 90 - 91 onwards

Another massive influence in Music for me was the Prodigy. Used to buzz off 'Everybody in the place', 'wind it up','out of space'I remember buying their first Album The Prodigy Experience and then I was hooked.

I thought the tunes were lost forever till I discovered the internet and thats what we are all doin here now int it! :D :D :D

Tonksi

Jul 18, 2001
Me Flat with our Kes..proper bo'!
Oh aye Phil n Cookie some memories there:D takin me back to cold lampin on the street corner with me home boys n a ghetto blaster!!:thumbsup:

I went to see Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five at the Manchester Apollo and Street Machine were the support act - I still have a whole album of photos of that! I also saw Public Enemy, LL Cool J and Chakka Khan around the same time!
Jammy as!!!
Bet they was amazin....jealous...Much:p ;)

Tonksi said:
Oh aye Phil n Cookie some memories there:D takin me back to cold lampin on the street corner with me home boys n a ghetto blaster!!:thumbsup:

Jammy as!!!
Bet they was amazin....jealous...Much:p ;)

They were amazing - specially when Melle Mel did White Lines. The other one I was really lucky to be at was Afrika Bambaata & The Soulsonic Force at the Hacienda. That was amazing. No photos of that one but still got my ticket stub somewhere!!

Cookie xx

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
Cookie said:

Wow :eyes: someone else who loved the stuff I did. I went to see Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five at the Manchester Apollo and Street Machine were the support act - I still have a whole album of photos of that! I also saw Public Enemy, LL Cool J and Chakka Khan around the same time! Those were the days ......;) :D

Cookie xx

Saw Grandmaster Flash this year in April and he still rocks!!! Puts most of today's boring house DJs to shame, he put on a proper show, hyping up the crowd and doing some amazing tricks... the guy's gotta be well into his 40s as well!

R J

Sep 29, 2001
Manchester UK
www.aatw.com
Well if you go right back listening to DJ's like Mike Shaft , Leaky Fresh , Jeff Young and Stu Allan on the radio started it for me , some mates at school were also into the hip hop thing at the time and the tapes were swapped and i was hooked . DMC mixing championships , Chad Jackson , Cash Money etc etc.

Once I got into DJing which started in pubs and stuff I got dragged down to Manchester and introduced to some of the clubs where it was all going on , The Limit , The Number One , Liberty's etc etc .

Things went from one to another and the rest is history as they say ..

Nice to see some peeps have put the New Dawn radio show as the reason they got into the old skool thing , we has some pretty good laughs producing the show and at the time didn't really realise ho many people actually did listen to it ..

R J

Sep 29, 2001
Manchester UK
www.aatw.com
i went and swa Public Enemy,LL Cool J & Eric B & Rakim @ The Hammersmith Odeon all on the same bill

Useless trivia time ....

Did you know the compere for the Def Jam night at the Hammersmith Odeon was Dave Pearce and the live clip on the album it takes a nation of millions ..... was taken from that very concert ....

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
R J said:

Nice to see some peeps have put the New Dawn radio show as the reason they got into the old skool thing , we has some pretty good laughs producing the show and at the time didn't really realise ho many people actually did listen to it ..

Damn right, I used to stay up on sunday nights to listen (bear in mind i would have only been 12/13 back then) and go into school knackered on a Monday!!! New Dawn had an adverse effect on my education!!!
Seriously though I was gutted when signal took the show off and replaced it with fekking love songs or whatever... It was the only place on the radio (apart from pirate) where you could hear stuff like that at the time. In fact after that I did move over to listening to pirate radio (anyone remember a station called Exile FM??)

BTW got a couple of tapes of new dawn mp3'd if anyone's interested...

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
Should have mentioned I am only on 56k so online transfer might be a tad impractical - lol!!!

Can burn onto CD though - no problem!

Just looked and there's 2 tapes I have left, someone else nicked the others:

DJ Wrecka & DJ Pilgrim - I think it's from August 1992
and a second tape which unfortunately I cut the talking out of so I'm not sure who the DJ is - but I think it was the last show from 1992, has tunes on like Blapps, NJoi, Underground Posse, DOP and then some hardcore later on.

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
I will confess to having long hair and listening to Nirvana when I was at school, but a lad in my form lent me a tape in about 93-94 and that started me off. I've still got a copy of it and it's filled with the likes of Jimi Polo - Better Days / Baby D - Let me be your fantasy etc. This started me off.
Then about a year later I was working part time in a restaurant and one of the cheffs had a Zone tape which she used to play constantly and this really got me going.
Then I found out about back to the old skool @ maximes and I've never looked back!
Just wish I'd got into it sooner, then maybe the records wouldn't be so damn hard to find!:mad:

Tim :)

Pixie

Jul 16, 2001
Back oop north!
www.
dannster said:

Another massive influence in Music for me was the Prodigy. Used to buzz off 'Everybody in the place', 'wind it up','out of space'I remember buying their first Album The Prodigy Experience and then I was hooked.

Raaaahhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!

bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif
bangin.gif
avinit.gif

Is what I say to The Prodigy !! :D:D:D:D:D:D:DD

GT man

Jul 19, 2001
halifax
www.goodtimespromotions.com
when i were a wipper snapper (13 in 92). i would just buy any amount of crap that made it commercially and i could here it. totally pissed that jimmy nail could keep seasames treat off the top spot. all the rave compilations were about then so iwas lucky and had my most impressionable years while rave was top a the charts. but after gettin my hands on alpha tapes ( a local , pete monsoon, event) and varius hardcore (obsession and dreamscape) and rave stylee old skool (carl cox big bang a best example). i then found plenty tapes to build me up (the one that first told me i needed to go to bowlers was john wadd and bowa from revival session at bradford)and was a flyer addict as im sure most of us were. after settin of on the wrong path since i left school in 95 ii got the chance to do summat diff and go to ark at the end of the year. i did. and did nowt else since. never had a car but for a year i went to at least ARK or LIFE once a month . sometimes settin of alone, as most my friends were nt in to it. gettin on thhe coach to bowlers alone was never a prob cos it was the same heads each time i went. after id got a group of my friends to join me a bowlers it was weekly(almost) til the end for me.

thank god i changed paths at the right time i could be sat here typin this to sclubfanclub.whatever.

mik

fugjostle

Oct 12, 2001
Leek
www.fugjostle.com
hehe.. grad had an excellent new dawn tape with Mr Jones behind the decks... Must thank Mr Jones for introducing me to the hard trancey mix of Never Let Go by Hyper Go Go :) We went to rave at ainsdale beach and everyone wanted to know where the tape came from.

I was into electro and hip hop... and moved into dance stuff... mainly Grad and myself buzzed off it and we decided to go to Wigan Pier and get mashed :) Never forget dancing like a broken thunderbird puppet to Your Love by the Prodigy :)

--
Fug

Fiona

Aug 18, 2002
salford
mad 4 old skool

i was about 14 i think, the happy hardcore was getting boring and all my mates had moved onto listening to monroes and shit like that (not that it's shit of course)
by the time i was abouit 17, i started hitting maximes and that was the turning point - i never looked back from there!!!!