What or Who got you into OS

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
What got me into OS, well it wasn't OS at the time (lol) ...

When I was about 15 I did my so called work experience in an Estate Agent's in Otley, yes I did want to be revilled by society. There was this woman their called Lisa who sort of adopted me for the couple of weeks I was there, I didn't realise it until I was told by someone else that she was trying to seduce me (I didn't twig when she started wearing low cut dresses n leaning over a lot (I'm a bit slow really)) Anywayz I was well and truly corrupted one evening to the choons of the first Deep Heat Compilation.

Up until that time I was listening to Sisters of Mercy, dressing up in black and sitting in graveyards on an evening :axe:

It all properly started with me at college (1984ish) when hip hop and electro and rap ruled the world and I got hooked completely.

Everything has been a natural progression from there really, with house and garage following closely behind.

I was also lucky enough to be in New York in 1983 (visiting relations) for the summer and was hearing a lot of music that didn't make it over here for some time - and they were mixing records!

'showing my age again' Cookie xx

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
Jimmy said:
Anywayz I was well and truly corrupted one evening to the choons of the first Deep Heat Compilation.

I could say the same, just a year earlier I fell under its spell. I just loved this sound that was coming out! People at school used to say to me, 'WHY DO YOU LIKE THAT SHITE!?'. I was really the only 1 at the time who really loved it. Anyway, to all those peeps, who said to me at the time, this music is SHITE! 2 fingers up to your face, I bet ya like it now! Dance music has lived longer than 'Rock n Roll' - FACT!
Hmmm, glad I've got that off mi chest! LOL :D

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
My older mates who used to go to Shelleys and Entropy who I copied tapes off, and also listening to the early days of pete tongs essential selection and new dawn on signal radio on a sunday night
When pocket money allowed I started buying vinyl !!! and have never stopped.
First clubs I went to were Quest and Pimp in Wolverhampton and then later on UK Midlands as well as a few dodgier establishments around the area :|
I wasn't really old enough to go out until the best times for the music had passed unfortunately, I blame me parents!!!

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
Re: Re: What or Who got you into OS

biskit said:

I could say the same, just a year earlier I fell under its spell. I just loved this sound that was coming out! People at school used to say to me, 'WHY DO YOU LIKE THAT SHITE!?'. I was really the only 1 at the time who really loved it. Anyway, to all those peeps, who said to me at the time, this music is SHITE! 2 fingers up to your face, I bet ya like it now! Dance music has lived longer than 'Rock n Roll' - FACT!
Hmmm, glad I've got that off mi chest! LOL :D

And I have to agree there, one minute everyone else at school was listening to Nirvana and saying "Why the fuck do you listen to that car alarm music" and 6 months later they were all asking to borrow my prodigy albums!!!

Mine has to be 1987 hangin about with my m8s brothers they were pirate djs in sheffield n one tune sticjks in my mind they absloute hammerd that was Sweet d - thank ya - what a tune
then another big big tune but l8r was 808 state - pacific 202 id always been into the electro sound from 84 85 onwards lol even my dad said to me other day alan lol rem when i found you begging for money in sheffield when ya was 11 - lol we was breakdancin in subways hehe ghetto blaster n lino included and badly worn copy of electro uk - i was proud to admit it was me lol

al

:D :D :D :D :D :D

italian style

Feb 22, 2002
wakefield
for me it has to be me older cousine and bro, at the time in 91 my cousine had just got his decks and was 16 years old so he never stopped buying vinyl and because of him living with my gran i use to see him regular, every time he would be bagging tunes out so i just gradulary became to like the music and to understand it.

cheers

Red Mancunian

Nov 5, 2001
Chav-ville Droylsden, innit!
Yep, like a cookie and al, it was probably my interest in electro in the early-mid 80's that started it.

When I left school and started college, I used to listen to Stu Allan a lot on (what was then) Piccadilly Radio. (Is Bus' Dis still going or what?)

Anyway, good old Stu started spinning something called 'house', and I eventually stopped listening to the hip hop and only tuned into the 'House Hour'.

My mates didn't even know what 'house' was (erm, some of them probably still don't! :p)

Some of the best dance music ever made was produced between 1988 and 1992 (IMHO).

I love old skool, and I always will. :love: :love: :love:

butty

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 15, 2001
Manchester
www.oldskoolanthems.com
erm maximes got me into old skool late 98 - i went 1 time got hooked and started the site the next week when i was drunk lol

and thats where im playin next week - (cue the soppy music) i dont know if il b able to mix coz of all the precious memories going through my mind about that place its like a dream come true

lol coooooooome on lets have it!!!!!!!!! :fekked: :fekked: :fekked: :fekked:

Biggie

May 10, 2002
Manchester
One of my m8's used to always go on about Bowlers but never fancied it as I'd never been into dance music

Finally gave in 1 saturday in 93, went down for his 18 cued in the snow for 2 hours had my first billy saw stuallen,Bowa,nipper ,john waddicker and a few others not to mention Together doing hardcore upraor live:crazy: :crazy:loved every min of it and never looked back

Phil

Jun 21, 2002
Leeds, UK
I'd always liked electro and electronica, (from early Hip Hop, to Beat Dis, Pump up the Volume n' Acid House when it hit over here), at that time we used to go to "shaz n' tracey" clubs, as we were only young, and didn't know that anything else existed!.

My mate and I got really fed up with the whole pissed up lads out spoilin for a fight for looking at the wrong girl on the dancefloor etc, my mate had been started on that night by a group of lads from our old school, we were both a bit fed up and very pissed.

We were coming home that night and spotted a (really crappy!) flyer for an event called "Bliss 91" at the Gallery (Leeds), boasting of a decent soundsystem / UV lights, Dayglo backdrops with top DJ's etc (John Kelly if memory serves).

So, the week after we thought we'd check it out. Me and my mate were proper excited, didn't know what to expect at all though, s'pose you could say a little apprehensive!.

We queued up and got in fairly early, people in the queue were talking to each other and dancing on the spot, we got in and ran upstairs like excited children, the music was awesome, never heard anything like it, upbeat pianoey house. The atmosphere was brilliant, such a difference from what we were used to. No hassle or attitudes, everyone was chatting to each other n' smiling, it was so friendly, people were hugging and stuff (didn't realise why until a few weeks later!) - after a few drinks and attempts at mimicing the dance moves around us, I can vividly remember at around 11:00 the lights went off and Steve (Luigi) dropped this really wierd record, full of whispy synths n' noises getting louder and fading, gradually increasing, the room was pumped with dry ice and then the lights came on as the harder tunes started, the place went 'kin mental...literally exploded, everyone was going for it like there was no tomorrow, everyone punching the air, people walking around the room dancing, it didn't matter what you were wearing, what you looked like, it was just amazing, never known anything like it. It was electric.

From that day on I knew we'd found something special, something that will be with me forever.

After going week in week out for about six weeks, I got chatting to a lad I used to know from school, he asked what I was on, (and I didn't have a clue - so innocent me y'see!), he handed me something with a smile on his face, and told me to enjoy myself even more.... that night I realised what was really going on!!!!!... and the rest as they say, is history!... Over the next four years that club became my second home, met some ace people and had the best times of my life in there.

;)

Thanks for the thread Jimmy!!!

RetroAndy

Apr 4, 2002
wakefield
I was a fairly late starter getting into the old skool scene so i never went to the early events. The earliest was when i was 18 at Retro at foundation as its near its also convienent when i didnt have much cash. I am looking at starting coming to forthcoming events as i dont work weekends anymore:D

I have noticed that a lot of the recent nights are around yorkshire i,e cornmill and orbit in morley. So i should be atending some of them.

Andy

pacman

Nov 11, 2001
Manchester
I remember one of my mates was laways well into it, and was always listening ot Stu Allan on Key 103 back in 91 (ish).

I always called it Laser music and took the piss out of him, shouting the MTV adverts 'Rotterdam Techno, das doppell CD' at him in a dodgy German accent.

When I finally gave it a chance (93) EVERYTHING changed.

Nobody I knew spoke of raves, clubs, extra curriculars etc. We decided to go to Manchester one night and one of the girls had heard of a club called Home. It was shady as f*ck but gave me a taste and the next Thursday I was at the Hacienda, followed by saturday and on and on from there.

Never forget my first night at Bowlers though. Had NO idea at all what to expect, I knew a couple of lads who'd been but couldnt picture it at all. I hadnt, shall we say, indulged in small round things by then and remember turning up, queing, getting in and thinking 'WOW, WTF???? Within half hour I was off it and never looked back.

I will NEVER forget the special 3 years I had there hammering it, talking shit, and meeting so many people with no attitude of preconceptions......Just empathy.

FatBlimp

Mar 28, 2002
Los Angeles
in jan 92, my friends and i went out to a random club because we were sick of 70s disco (it was massive in the early 90s and still is quite popular). all i remember is this beat that sounded like an incessant bouncing basketball coupled with bleeps and blips. i couldn't get enough of it. i asked another friend who knew about it and he made me a tape... and here i am today, still lovin' it.

Tonksi

Jul 18, 2001
Me Flat with our Kes..proper bo'!
It all properly started with me at college (1984ish) when hip hop and electro and rap ruled the world and I got hooked completely.
Same as Cookie here...got into Electros,Beat Street n Breakdance(PROPER old skool lol)then progressed onto Big Daddy Kane, Public Enemy,Marley Marl,Stetsasonic(mispelt:S ) etc etc.
First heard some old skool in 89 I think and I was hooked then went to the nights Mix Factory did in Ashton,Stu Allan on 103,Limit FM ,Sunset n Signal n the rest is history...
PS How MINT was the 808 Show:thumbsup:

Phil

Jun 21, 2002
Leeds, UK
Tonksi said:

Stetsasonic(mispelt:S ) etc etc.

"Stetsasonic? - A name you will never forget, but if you can't say it all.....JUST SAY STET!!!!"

Quality!!. Proper old skool indeed Mr Tonksi!!

I was into the above, plus, Grandmaster Flash, Roxanne Shante, World Class Wreckin Cru, The Egyptian Lover, LL Cool J, ("Radio" and "Bigger & Deffer" - two class albums, before he went all "luvvie"), Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince ("He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper", top album, again, so many years before "Summertime", think he was 15 when he recorded HTDJITR), Run DMC, Derek B, Public Enemy, Silver Bullet.....

Cool!...

Tonksi said:

Same as Cookie here...got into Electros,Beat Street n Breakdance(PROPER old skool lol)then progressed onto Big Daddy Kane, Public Enemy,Marley Marl,Stetsasonic(mispelt:S ) etc etc.
First heard some old skool in 89 I think and I was hooked then went to the nights Mix Factory did in Ashton,Stu Allan on 103,Limit FM ,Sunset n Signal n the rest is history...
PS How MINT was the 808 Show:thumbsup:

It was soooo cooool :cool: :cool: - loved New Dawn too (especially Cherokee).

Cookie xx