we need a brake from the old routine

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Shynarr

May 1, 2011
on the outskirts of frisco
It seems like every man and his dog are holding reunion events, which is all good . but are we going to be listening to the same "standard old school set" for another 20 odd year ??
between 1988 and 1991 them itailans produced 1000`s of tracks which have never found there way on to the dance floor,,, I come accross tracks every other day that blow away. Is this not the way forword to keep that buzz for another 20 years

Mattylad

Jan 29, 2007
Barnsley
are we going to be listening to the same "standard old school set" for another 20 odd year ??

Probablyphones:

between 1988 and 1991 them itailans produced 1000`s of tracks which have never found there way on to the dance floor,,, I come accross tracks every other day that blow away. Is this not the way forword to keep that buzz for another 20 years

Love the earlier Italian stuff and can't say i've heard of anyone playing it out(apart from the usual few)which is a shame, would be great to hear of just one Dj playing a full set of it:cool:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Totally agree chuck, theres so many tracks not just itallian ones that get overlooked cus they arnt considered a dancefloor classic or similar......i stopped going to a lot of retro / reunion type events cus i just got fed up of hearing the same records. But people are afraid to play something a bit different for fear of not getting the peeps through the door. I think a lot of people who frequent such nights probably dont have the collections or spend the time looking for other stuff so its what you know but for people like me and you and 90 % of this board who spend time buying records and paying attention to them obscure B2 sides then we kinda realise theres more to it than just an old dancefloor classic that has been played a million times before.

Just my thoughts on it of course ;)

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Ive got some and love my Italian stuff although it is at the laid back and Italian/New York garage end of the spectrum. I have approx 100 bits from about 89-93 and have very rarely heard them out.

Regarding retro nights, I gave up years ago and got sick of tracks like Clubland Lets Get busy. The best 2 I ever went to were Trevor Fung in 92 @ world dance and DJ Rap 98ish in Illford (cant recall promoter) both properly underground. If doing it correctly you should choose a period ie early 1991 and stick to that rather than anthem bashing from any year and playing to the crowd. We are all guilty of it though

S

Shynarr

May 1, 2011
Ive got some and love my Italian stuff although it is at the laid back and Italian/New York garage end of the spectrum. I have approx 100 bits from about 89-93 and have very rarely heard them out.

Regarding retro nights, I gave up years ago and got sick of tracks like Clubland Lets Get busy. The best 2 I ever went to were Trevor Fung in 92 @ world dance and DJ Rap 98ish in Illford (cant recall promoter) both properly underground. If doing it correctly you should choose a period ie early 1991 and stick to that rather than anthem bashing from any year and playing to the crowd. We are all guilty of it though

S
is that not what its all about reading your audiance and playing to suit there requirements to make the set the best 90 mins of there life ?????hmmm nobody likes a 1 box dj do they

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I totally agree mate and as Debs said, it's not just the Italians that made great tunes that are never played:thumbsup:

When I played here regularly for 2 or 3 years or so, I had a 'don't play the same tune twice policy' - ie once it's been played, it's back in the pile for good. It was just because that's what i'd want to listen to if I were tuned in.

As Sagat said ''Why is it that every time I turn on the radio, I hear the same 5 songs 15 times a day for 3 months? Man Fuk Dat....''

BOD

Staff member
VIP Silver Member
Sep 4, 2007
over there
I love trawling through discogs finding the stuff Ive not heard before as well as picking up some of the more familiar things or even replacing ones Ive regretted losing/selling or been pinched in the past. I can quite happily work my way through a sellers collection from 88-92 for hours checking the release videos or youtube and pick up all sorts Ive not come across or vaguely remember but never knew the ID. Just got 20 tunes delivered yesterday and 13 of them are ones Ive never heard before or recognise the original vocal/rap from tunes that later sampled them in classic anthems, thats a favourite thing of mine lately :)

Just been working on a set with them for the next Bak2waX event so that is always going to be at least one oldskool night that you are gauranteed to hear stuff from back in the day that isnt nescessarily going to be familiar or overplayed. I think you are always going to need some of the anthems and more recognisable tunes to make a night work but I agree its nice to hear something you have not heard before but can still relate to an era you loved and there is LOADS of it still out there as I said if you have the patience to go through Ogs etc and find it :)

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
Yep there are 1000's of old skool tunes that no one has heard/or ones you dont hear often

It bugs me hearing the same tunes over and over but the sad fact is thats what most punters want

I myself like to meet half way and play obscure tunes mixed up with popular ones. I have found in the past when DJ'ing that if you play to underground you get complaints that people dont know the tunes, and also vice versa, people say, it werent underground enough!

Back in the day you could play all sorts cos it was new, but now everyone whos into old skool has their tunes in their head that they like and sometimes if a tune isnt in that head list then its not old skool lol

:thumbsup:

DaveSmalls

May 10, 2009
a while ago i went to see graeme park at a hacienda do in chester and was very disappointed by the tune selection having been buzzing with excitement for weeks before. it just seemed like he was going through the motions and collecting his pay cheque without any thought. the mix lacked energy and vibrance and was very predictable. there were hundreds if not 1000s of tunes he could picked that would give a hac vibe but seems to stick to the same few mainstream "classics." i thought he gave a poor representation of the hacienda and let his fans down terribly! so yes i think alot of djs are guilty of not thinking out of the box and treading the tried and tested path i think because that is what will guarantee future bookings but in doing so it means they lose their edge. still if they're getting paid i am sure they could not give 2 hoots!

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey
It seems like every man and his dog are holding reunion events, which is all good . but are we going to be listening to the same "standard old school set" for another 20 odd year ??

I try to do a mix of lesser known tunes, some very obscure tunes held together with some anthems.

Although it is not just about italo house, as others have said.

However, finding those elusive gems is getting more and more difficult so would suggest your claim that there are 1000`s of tracks that have never been played is maybe an over estimate.

Please feel free to share the tracks you find that blow you away - part of the buzz of being a member of this forum for me.

easty

Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
Or you could just play Jinny to new crowds like me :)

Seriously though, I know these reunions have brought the old timers out for one last hurrah but most old skool nights in Manchester with mine included attract a younger crowd. By and large all of the tunes are new to them.

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
I find many Old Skool events a bit dull to be honest. Don't get me wrong, there are some good nights and good music.

However, many are cheesy and lacking in imagination. There are so many bandwagon jumpers as well.

Supply and demand though. There is loads of shit on TV because that's what the stations think we want, it's what many people think they want because they have been conditioned to think they want it and really they would probably appreciated something else if only people would put it on!

I always try to play a varied spread of tunes on my radio slot otherwise I get bored!

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
in fact ive just discovered a tune today and its a proper one, not telling you what it is yet tho until ive bagged it:D

Shynarr

May 1, 2011
I try to do a mix of lesser known tunes, some very obscure tunes held together with some anthems.

Although it is not just about italo house, as others have said.

However, finding those elusive gems is getting more and more difficult so would suggest your claim that there are 1000`s of tracks that have never been played is maybe an over estimate.

Please feel free to share the tracks you find that blow you away - part of the buzz of being a member of this forum for me.

mr barrie j ..am lost for words ..... you must have one of the best if not thee best italian dance music collections ever ,you id a tune for me "time time " and thank you again ,i think i am outta my depth on this one :$