Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
having seriuos thoughts of selling up
hardly get on the decks at all now and my records are gathering dust
would i regret it?
thoughts please

Probably!

You could always "loan" them out to another DJ friend, who would make use of them and give you them back if you changed your mind?

If you don't need the cash or space.. . .I would be tempted to keep them.

BOD

Staff member
VIP Silver Member
Sep 4, 2007
over there
borrow somebodys cdj's and have a go at mixing mp3's for a week or two.......you will never sell them after that:thumbsup:

italianjunkie

Aug 16, 2004
adelaide-sth oz
tbh could'nt go digital at all,always loved the feel of vinyl,the xcitement of getting a 12'' thru the post-truly xcites me:)
dont need thecash or space its just the fact i dont use my decks hardly ever now,but like so many folk say,''you will reget it''

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
This last 6 years has taught me to travel light... a couple of jeans & shirts, boots and somewhere to sss & s is all i need!
Get yerself attatched to nowt and keep it pleasant and temporary!

pete-nic

Mar 28, 2007
Burnley
i dont reckon youll regret it m8 if ya never use em anyway , get em sold , have some fun wi the cash and then embrace the mp3 revolution :p Im hoping bod sells his soul to the world of digital one day :eek: :D

steveod

VIP Silver Member
Jul 21, 2007
Skem
I wouldnt sell them.I sold a few average records that I never played ,went to play one of them a few months after forgetting i had sold it and was gutted.Now I want them back.

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
It's a tough one this I think if you do sell only sell what you won't miss ie keep all your favourite and rip the ones you do sell so you can still play them digitally

I have hardly used my decks since November as my life has been a bit of a night mare however I don't think I want to part with my viynl

on a different subject used tractor and virtual dj the other week and don't get me wrong there impressive but all this beat match nonsense and it telling you when the perfect time is to mix is just cheating

perfect mixes everytime may sound great but in my opinion it's pointless??

Why bother

rant over don't sell :)

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
i flogged the lot in 93 except a handfull that turned up at a m8s which i gave away, i have regretted it now and again but only slightly, my main regret was the obscene amounts of money i spent on them from about 85 to 92 its an expensive hobby, but i now own most of them at least the ones that matter on mp3, not that i hardly listen to them, tastes change thats the great thing about digital and youtube and soundcloud, its each to thier own but like you say if you dont use them why keep them, saying that i sometimes wish i had not got shut of my all white haro freestyler or my kangol and nike windcheater :cool: i gave my last box of tunes away for the simple reason i would rather someone got pleasure out of them than be stuck in a m8s forgotton cupboard. so if you dont need the money or space do it because its criminal there sat doing nothing when theres a whole world of new mums and dads out there who would cherish and tend to thier every needs :D
but only you can decide, tunes can be a big part of a lads youth, but like u31 said they can be replaced.

pete-nic

Mar 28, 2007
Burnley
Mmmm i use virtual wayne ,its vers.5 i use and that dont auto beatlock for you , itll match the pitch up but most decks or mixers have that function too , still has the ability to wander lol, listen to me on the radio ,perfect mixing everytime i think not :p dunno about traktor have never got into that one tbh , somebody call the vinyl police theres mp3 bandits about :cops: :D :thumbsup:

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
on a different subject used tractor and virtual dj the other week and don't get me wrong there impressive but all this beat match nonsense and it telling you when the perfect time is to mix is just cheating

lol wayne not picking at you. but ive messed around with vj, and that beat match is a waste of time :crazy: it works now and then at best, but i have heard lots of people say that these programs are cheating, well isn't pitch control :confused: and gain buttons where do you draw the line. if anything i guess the digital crew can say vynil is too limiting, not a rant just an observation.

Useing technology such as Traktor, Ableton etc isn't cheating IMHO - it's making use of the best available tools for the job. That said, I mix 100% vinyl on a pair of battered old 1210's and a crappy old mixer because that's what I enjoy and am familiar with. I love being stood at my decks, or digging through boxes or shelves to find the record I want to play next. I sometimes can't remember the title, but I remember the sleeve, or which record it's next to. I love records, the feel of vinyl, the smell of an acetate, and most of all the feeling of 'owning' a tune that just doesn't come with downloading a file. That's why I won't part with my records, even though I they have cost me a fortune and I hate having to carry them all when I move house for the umpteenth time.

Useing technology such as Traktor, Ableton etc isn't cheating IMHO - it's making use of the best available tools for the job. That said, I mix 100% vinyl on a pair of battered old 1210's and a crappy old mixer because that's what I enjoy and am familiar with. I love being stood at my decks, or digging through boxes or shelves to find the record I want to play next. I sometimes can't remember the title, but I remember the sleeve, or which record it's next to. I love records, the feel of vinyl, the smell of an acetate, and most of all the feeling of 'owning' a tune that just doesn't come with downloading a file. That's why I won't part with my records, even though I they have cost me a fortune and I hate having to carry them all when I move house for the umpteenth time.

^^^ brilliant post :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you don't go on your decks, sell your decks. They are replaceable. I don't know how many records you've got, but imagine if your house burned down and you had to replace them. Alright, it would be easier today with discogs and gemm than it was even ten years ago, but a mate of mine recently told me that he wants to sell his, cos he wants to learn to snowboard. I told him to think twice cos he was potentially selling his kids inheritance.

If you sell them, you sell part of your soul....