Smoking Ban - 2 months on - your views

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
I don't know about clubs as i have yet to venture into having one since having Jemima.

I do think though, that the great northern pub has lost quite a bit of its charm. I am a none smoker, and whilst its great being able to nip in now with the bambino for a sly half at lunch or something, i would much rather not do and have the 'old' pubs back for night times. I don't want to see those hard (working) class type people full of character outside getting wet and rushing their rollies! I want them inside, then i can listen in on their exiting crazy stories and shit.

I do think there is some truth in what Jarvis Cocker said about it being far more interesting where the smokers are. I know its shit coming home smelling really bad, but i dunno- i feel like the little local boozer has lost something. A pub to me is smokey and full of personality- pork scratchings and bags of nuts option extras.

Harri74

May 29, 2007
Midlands
www.myspace.com
Passive smokers should pay half!!!!

Have to admit Woody, the pubs are dead round by me...all outside in the little tents they have put up...The Zone do in Blackers was the same, everyone outside fagging it and havin a chin wag...It has/is killing the pub scene and club scene...I dont mind it in a restaurant, cos you dont wanna be smelling fags when yer eating :hurl: Its not the same in pubs, mid convo, someone wants a fag, convo has to stop, spose its same when yer clubbing too...

The smoking ban is gay...I reck IMH should do an outdoor event ;)

The smell of smoke has gone now, leaving a smell of stale piss, BO and sick...get some Oust, you smelly fhoooookers

Well said Sketty .. Iin total agreeance here :thumbsup: Im a non-smoker and disagree with the ban.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Haven't really noticed how we're gonna be affected yet in the pubs, as the beer gardens tend to be quite a bit fuller now and i'd rather have a pint in the sunshine than inside:cool:

It might not be ideal for DJ's in clubs that want a full dancefloor, but I reckon people straying outside makes the atmosphere more sociable :thumbsup:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Someone at work told me the other week that he'd heard about a pub that had banned the non-smokers from taking their drinks outside. The landlords attitude was "You wanted them gone, so you can sit here and enjoy your smoke free pub"

Funny as fook! :rofl:

lottie

Apr 24, 2006
where ever i lay my hat ( straw one )
ive yet to venture into a club since the no smoking ban came in can imagine it bieng pretty grim , spesh for the dj,s who have put there heart and soul into a night for every man and his dog stood outside fagging it :(

also to the old soldiers who,s only pleasure in life is a pint o bitter in the working mans club puffing away on there pipes must be pretty tuff on them , old people dont get there head round change that well

pubs seem to have lost charachter since the no smoking ban hit and thats sad imo.

very puddled

Oct 16, 2006
with my family.......
im the same as amelie , not been out since having evie :love: .

But i do smoke loads [ and we are designated to the garden] As i dont allow smoking the house since evie arrived

And if people come to my house and they are smokers in the garden they pop.

So i dont think it would bother me at a club as im an outside smoker now anyway :D

[ when i do eventually go clubbing i wouldnt want to miss the tunage so it probably wouldnt bother me then, id just smoke about 40 on the way home :S ]

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
so you havnt got about 20 people stood under a make do smoking shelter that is a fosters umbrella then???

its not affected takings, ther are no pubs shutting down

the smokers are chatting to more folk outside their normal circle of friends cause they are outsie having a puff, most folk up here dont mind at all and that goes for smokers as well

if the music and club is so good as everyone is claiming then people will forgoe a fag to stay and dance, you do not die if you leave the fags for a couple of hours, the smoker has a choice

what we have to realise is that smokers are in the minority, that is just tough shit

i am in the minority about a lot of things and that is my tough shit

in a few years people will barely remember what it was like when we smoked in pubs

coggledots

Aug 11, 2005
Harrogate
in a few years people will barely remember what it was like when we smoked in pubs

Well said, if the smokers don't like having to go outside, they have the choice to give up, end of story.

Like i've tell everyone now, if i can do it anyone feckin can (6 mths now without a fag after 23yrs on ave. 40 a day)

S-J

Staff member
VIP Gold Member
I’ve been to a various varied different nights out now since this smoking ban kicked in... It’s a difficult one this because yes I do agree so much that it’s alienated the crowd against away from each other... I'd even go as far to say that is a bit like bloomin segregation again from back in the day...

This is even more of a mad subject for me as I have been a hardcore smoker for over 16 years; even waking up in the middle of the night to go and have a fag... :naughty: Which I knew was not big and most definitely not very clever...

7 whole weeks ago, on Saturday no less.... I stubbed out my last cigarette... I have not had a single one since that night at Lou’s house...

I made a pledge to myself that I was gonna do this shit and not ever in my life smoke another cigarette (For those that know me well... Fag ash Lil springs to mind! ;))

Now I didn’t decide to take this action because of the smoking ban, bollox to that Id have smoked anyway... But for certain reasons, happy reasons all round, that combined with so much love and support and understanding from Mr. Brit... Well this particular time was the right time to say "What the fcuk am I putting these nasty and stupid things in my mouth for!?"

16 years, it was no mean fete I can tell you... But I have officially awarded myself a "Chufty Badge" because I know that Im never ever going to ever smoke again! It’s Grimm! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So, going into a smoke free club after all these years is still really freaking me out as it’s been the norm for like ever! I understand the point of view now about how much its stinks, how minging it is, blah blah blah yawn yawn yawn for non smokers...

But I’m worried because now I have experienced both sides of this no smoking shite (Even now being a non smoker I’m finding myself spending more time outside with the smokers sat down nattering whilst there having a fag, than booging on the dance floor like what used to happen :confused: :confused: )

I’m proper concerned that this politically correct health wise law is going to absolulty put the final nail in the coffin for the club scene we all no and love!

Ooops sorry for the rarring but smoking and the club scene have been a massive part of my life for as long as I can remember and I feel I can comment on this subject!

Still.... YEAH!!!! I’ve kicked my nasty habit!! :D :D :D

S-J x :love:

P.S. Im not in anyway preeching on my soap box to you smokers... god bless ya's all I do understand! ;)

Last edited:

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
Agree with non smoking in places where food is being served / prepared. but you look at the core of what a pub was, for instance workin mans club, guy worked all day stopped off for a pint and a cig, people going in there knew that there would be smoke, occupational hazard simple.

For instance, the other night at my dads club there were people moaning about having to walk past the people outside who were smoking to get in the fkin place, to that ends non smokers aint ever going to be happy, and the sooner they realise that when tax aint going to the government via cigs, and the price of ale and fuel steps up, and it will, they will start droaning and moaning about that. Dont get me wrong, i aint slating non smokers lol, fair play to them for not giving in to tempation and being a sinner, I just feel that the government have gone about this in the wrong way, designated area for smoking inside would have been beneficial for both non and smokers, im looking at this from a business point of view and i have seen it from the inside, my old fella owns a couple of clubs and hes been lucky in that he can and has built purpose smoking areas outside with cover and heating, however the small corner pub is suffering, places that have been open for years, and again beer prices will go up. YET the house of lords is still full of smoke as they sit there quaffing down ginger beer and sherry! WTF.

rant over lol

Duke

Well, we've had 2 months of this smoking ban, and i have to say i think its the worst possible thing that could have happened to the club scene.
Even in venues that have specifically set aside outdoor shelters etc have took a big hit, its killing the atmosphere, which is probably the worst part IMO. Also the fact you can smell everything that was probably hidden by the smoke. BO, stale beer etc are all much more noticable now.

Before any smart arse cunts go off on one about the dangers of passive smoking, i'm well aware of the health risks and the all the other shizzle that goes with it!! I want peoples opinions on how its affected their locals, the clubs they go to etc
smoking is bad 4 u;) even if u dont smoke :p did u know
a few pubs r closing down by us because of the ban ,i spoke tp my bro who dj's up brum and he said most of the clubs r empty or most ppl r outside av a fag , it makes the dj feel like he's playing shite

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
the house of lords still smoking is an incorrect statement

it was parliament as a whole

they have decided to go no smoking even though they had an exemption

i am an ex smoker and i am very happy with the ban, i go to the pub to socialize and/or cop off, i do not go just to have a fag or a drink, i could do that at home

this is a democracy and smokers are in the minority, how many times do we need to say that it is just tough shit, only 25% of adults smoke why should everyone else suffer

it is a health and safety issue as well, it protects workers in areas where smoking used to be allowed

amymars

Apr 28, 2006
Standish
I love the ban....and I havn't been too bothered about the impact on clubbing, because I havn't really seen it.

It really must depend on whether or not your mates are smokers and what sort of places you go to. 'Pure' for instance, in Manchester city centre has been non smoking since it opened, and I loved it for the very fact that I didnt come out stinking of fags. It is always packed and I think its sort of 'once your in there, you cant be arsed to go out for a fag'. Nights like that havnt suffered at all, in fact, they have made it so much more enjoyable for non smokers. I suppose if any of my mates smoked I might feel differently.

I can see the impact it had on saturday....but in my eyes - in the long run it should help people stop smoking a bit which can only be a good thing. :)

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
the house of lords still smoking is an incorrect statement

it was parliament as a whole

they have decided to go no smoking even though they had an exemption

i am an ex smoker and i am very happy with the ban, i go to the pub to socialize and/or cop off, i do not go just to have a fag or a drink, i could do that at home

this is a democracy and smokers are in the minority, how many times do we need to say that it is just tough shit, only 25% of adults smoke why should everyone else suffer

it is a health and safety issue as well, it protects workers in areas where smoking used to be allowed

See your point and valid ones they are, but the workers you are protecting wont have jobs if bars close or have to cut back on staff, which is the point i was making, and trust me pubs have been hit by it in general as per my comment on some of my familes clubs. not waxing an electoral here like hehe, to be fair its has its pros and cons, atleast i dont go home stinking of smoke anymore :D
(just cheap perfume from some skanky lil biatch) ;)

I think the ban is good. I went to Back to basics the other sat night, and it was rocking, the atmosphere was the best i'd seen in aaaages - smoking ban or no...it was just packed out anyways...

I think once the winter comes, people will go out for one less, and they're not gonna hang about outside to chat either...coz it'll be bastard freezing!!!!

Like loz says, more and more people will quit too in the long run...

If the tunes are good inside, that where everyone will wanna be imo

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
i think ur are the minority in saying it hasnt affected pubs or clubs near u - where exactly are u living - is it a small village were no one smokes ffs

you know the pubs and clubs in my area where i live eh?

no not a village, a town with loads of pubs, we have had the ban longer than england and wales

and aint u a lucky sod for being one of the 75% of adults that dont smoke - i do agree its nice to be in an eating area and not having smokers lit up but ffs clubs and pubs are different smoking has always been a social thing now we are bannished outside to have a smoke

i am not lucky i was a 20 a dayer until 7 years ago, i made the choice to stop there was no luck involved, smoking is not a social thing it is an anti-social thing

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
i think ur are the minority in saying it hasnt affected pubs or clubs near u - where exactly are u living - is it a small village were no one smokes ffs woodys question was - is it ruining the club scene and yes i would agree it is affecting it as a lot of people that go to these nights do like a smoke when trollied i tend to smoke more then dont know about the rest of yas - and even the non smokers come out as they dont want to be standing like billy no mates whilst all their mates are out having a puff -

and aint u a lucky sod for being one of the 75% of adults that dont smoke - i do agree its nice to be in an eating area and not having smokers lit up but ffs clubs and pubs are different smoking has always been a social thing now we are bannished outside to have a smoke
a lot of pubs are closing due to smoking ban as well as bingo halls etc..... i think the government should have thought this out properly before slamming a ban on smoking :mad:

Lolol girlfriend don't need to watch Dynasty to have an attitude!

What's with all the effing and jeffing? The bloke was merely putting his point across in a polite way.

You say 'a lot' of pubs and bingo halls are closing down- do you have the stats to back this up? Even so, surley the government will have to run such stats against the increase of say families drinking out/ lunching it to see if it has lasting economic benefit.

I do worry about the tax issues though if more peeps give up, although of course you could argue that in general the Health Service will be under less 'lifestyle' induced illness, but then you could argue lol that they are massively funded by cigarette tax :axe: