Mike Pickering & Graeme Park, Nude @ Hacienda Aug 1989 - the Century FM set

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

solarex

Jun 5, 2003
Download:

http://www.mixesdb.com/db/index.php/1989-08_-_Graeme_Park_%26_Mike_Pickering_%40_Hacienda_Nude

Question:

I have a few questions regarding this set and recording, which is an absolute stunning and atmospheric piece of musical and club history.

Does anybody know the story of the recording. Who has made it? And how? It seems evident that it is made on two C90 cassettes. But the quality also suggests that it is not made on just a portable battery powered deck on the middle of the floor. But then how?

Was it originally broadcasted on the radio back then? And was the recording made with broadcasting in mind?

What is (was) Century FM?

Any clues in this respect are very welcome. Has this recording been discussed in detail on other forums?

Last edited:

Noel

May 12, 2003
Wolverhampton
Question:

I have a few questions regarding this set and recording, which is an absolute stunning and atmospheric piece of musical and club history.

Does anybody know the story of the recording. Who has made it? And how? It seems evident that it is made on two C90 cassettes. But the quality also suggests that it is not made on just a portable battery powered deck on the middle of the floor. But then how?

Was it originally broadcasted on the radio back then? And was the recording made with broadcasting in mind?

What is (was) Century FM?
As far as I know Century FM is\was a Manchester based radio station. They broadcast this recording on NYE 1999, I would imagine they used the original DAT recording of the night. Someone recorded it and encoded an mp3 of around 3 hours in length (172 mins if irc). Others (including myself) then split this mp3 into different parts to put onto tapes or cd's... this will prob be one of the copies you ended up with. :)

Geeky

Apr 10, 2002
As far as I know Century FM is\was a Manchester based radio station. They broadcast this recording on NYE 1999, I would imagine they used the original DAT recording of the night. Someone recorded it and encoded an mp3 of around 3 hours in length (172 mins if irc). Others (including myself) then split this mp3 into different parts to put onto tapes or cd's... this will prob be one of the copies you ended up with. :)
Has anyone got an MP3 made directly from the original DAT? Mine is the radio MP3 copy.

I don't thinks so... not as far as I know anyway. To be fair the radio mp3 is top quality and there is only one brief radio jingle if irc...

Just before Carly Simon iirc :D

This is possibly THE best set I've ever heard, in terms of sound quality, tunes & crowd reaction... essential.... & to think it's coming up to its 20th anniversary !:eek:

Riddler

Feb 7, 2009
New York
I don't thinks so... not as far as I know anyway. To be fair the radio mp3 is top quality and there is only one brief radio jingle if irc...

I've been wondering about this mix for a while. I ripped it back in 2003 from an old peer-to-peer file sharing site. As I recall it has one radio ident over the mix about half way through. The quality is very good, very unusual for back in the day and the fact that it's in one piece (2h 52m) is very unusual. Century FM was a commercial station back in the late 90's (it launched in 1998), so I'm not sure why they would have had DAT recordings of a club night that happened before they did.

I'm also skeptical that this is an original due to the tune selection and standard of mixing. I went the Hac most Fridays in 1989, especially through those summer months and don't recall a set this like this. True Parky's mixing was flawless even back then but this is just a little too good, like it was done on CDs. The set list runs more like a "back to the old tunes" night. My memory is that they played a lot more obscure tunes between the hands in the air tunes and this mix seem like floor filler after floor filler. Also, they tended to keep just an illusion to the last tune - not mid-way through the night.

I also know this set made it into Hooky's book but I'm not too sure if that makes it any more true it's an original.

Interested to hear what you think...

Noel

May 12, 2003
Wolverhampton
I've been wondering about this mix for a while. I ripped it back in 2003 from an old peer-to-peer file sharing site. As I recall it has one radio ident over the mix about half way through. The quality is very good, very unusual for back in the day and the fact that it's in one piece (2h 52m) is very unusual. Century FM was a commercial station back in the late 90's (it launched in 1998), so I'm not sure why they would have had DAT recordings of a club night that happened before they did.

I'm also skeptical that this is an original due to the tune selection and standard of mixing. I went the Hac most Fridays in 1989, especially through those summer months and don't recall a set this like this. True Parky's mixing was flawless even back then but this is just a little too good, like it was done on CDs. The set list runs more like a "back to the old tunes" night. My memory is that they played a lot more obscure tunes between the hands in the air tunes and this mix seem like floor filler after floor filler. Also, they tended to keep just an illusion to the last tune - not mid-way through the night.

I also know this set made it into Hooky's book but I'm not too sure if that makes it any more true it's an original.

Interested to hear what you think...
Just had another listen to the radio jingle, sounds like it say's "towards 2002" which would lead me to believe it was broadcast NYE 2001 (rather than 1999 as I said above). I downloaded the original 172m mp3 rip from one of the peer-to-peer file sharing apps of the day (prob Napster or Audio Galaxy?). My file is dated Feb 2002 so I probably downloaded it not long after it was ripped ..so you would think the info it was labelled with was that of the person who ripped it (can't remember exactly, as I may have re-named mine, but I think it was along the lines of Park & Pickering Nude Hacienda Aug 1989). That label could have been incorrect but it seems unlikely unless the person who ripped it was deliberately trying to mislead people?

Also, have another look at the tracklist... most the tracks played, despite now being considered classics, are actually from around Aug '89 and the few that are from earlier were being played around Aug '89 ..there are a couple of old Hac sets from July\Aug '89 it can be compared to and a lot of the tracks are the same. It might seem like a "back to the old tunes" night because late summer '89 was the best period for house music IMO and there were a lot of big tracks that ended up being classics from that period, but I think there are some obscurities\less well known tracks in there (some of which took us years to ID!) like T-R-P, MC's Logik 'Get Involved', New Order 'MTO', Mix N’ Tel 'Feel The Beat' Gary Jackmaster Wallace 'House Has Taken Over Me', The Bass Boyz 'Lost In The Bass'. I also can't remember a Park or Pickering re-union set that concentrates so specifically on one time period, the tracks they play usually range from '87 to mid '90's house with none of the Hip Hop that they used to play. The nearest one I have is from 2005 and contains stuff like Ce Ce Penniston 'Finally', Robin S 'Show Me Love', Sunscreem 'Perfect Motion', Brand New Heavies 'Get Back To Love' (GP Club Mix) and similar along with some late 80's stuff. The only re-union I can think of that it would have a chance of being from is the re-created Hacienda night for the 24 Hour Party People film which was recorded 2nd March 2001, but even for that I doubt they would have stuck to such a specific period and played tracks like Mix N’ Tel. I haven't seen the film since it was released but seem to remember '88 tracks like Mantronix 'King Of The Beats' & 'Voodoo Ray' being used ..they could have been dubbed over of course.

I can see where you are coming from with the quality and length of the mix but don't think it is as unlikely as you do, that a Manchester radio station could end up with a DAT copy of a night at the Hac. I may be wrong though... Maybe some of the peeps who were members here when the mix first surfaced (Konspiracy? Shooms?) have some more info...? I can't remember anyone questioning it's authenticty before and there has been some real Hac experts on this site over the years.

Riddler

Feb 7, 2009
New York
"The only re-union I can think of that it would have a chance of being from is the re-created Hacienda night for the 24 Hour Party People film which was recorded 2nd March 2001".

It defo wasn't that night. I went to that night (a brief glimpse of me made the final cut and ended up in both the movie and trailer :D) and the music was crap. They kept stopping and starting the tunes to allow for the filming - makes sense really but didn't make for a great night for the crowd!

Riddler

Feb 7, 2009
New York
Just had another listen to the radio jingle, sounds like it say's "towards 2002" which would lead me to believe it was broadcast NYE 2001 (rather than 1999 as I said above). I downloaded the original 172m mp3 rip from one of the peer-to-peer file sharing apps of the day (prob Napster or Audio Galaxy?). My file is dated Feb 2002 so I probably downloaded it not long after it was ripped ..so you would think the info it was labelled with was that of the person who ripped it (can't remember exactly, as I may have re-named mine, but I think it was along the lines of Park & Pickering Nude Hacienda Aug 1989). That label could have been incorrect but it seems unlikely unless the person who ripped it was deliberately trying to mislead people?

Also, have another look at the tracklist... most the tracks played, despite now being considered classics, are actually from around Aug '89 and the few that are from earlier were being played around Aug '89 ..there are a couple of old Hac sets from July\Aug '89 it can be compared to and a lot of the tracks are the same. It might seem like a "back to the old tunes" night because late summer '89 was the best period for house music IMO and there were a lot of big tracks that ended up being classics from that period, but I think there are some obscurities\less well known tracks in there (some of which took us years to ID!) like T-R-P, MC's Logik 'Get Involved', New Order 'MTO', Mix N’ Tel 'Feel The Beat' Gary Jackmaster Wallace 'House Has Taken Over Me', The Bass Boyz 'Lost In The Bass'. I also can't remember a Park or Pickering re-union set that concentrates so specifically on one time period, the tracks they play usually range from '87 to mid '90's house with none of the Hip Hop that they used to play. The nearest one I have is from 2005 and contains stuff like Ce Ce Penniston 'Finally', Robin S 'Show Me Love', Sunscreem 'Perfect Motion', Brand New Heavies 'Get Back To Love' (GP Club Mix) and similar along with some late 80's stuff. The only re-union I can think of that it would have a chance of being from is the re-created Hacienda night for the 24 Hour Party People film which was recorded 2nd March 2001, but even for that I doubt they would have stuck to such a specific period and played tracks like Mix N’ Tel. I haven't seen the film since it was released but seem to remember '88 tracks like Mantronix 'King Of The Beats' & 'Voodoo Ray' being used ..they could have been dubbed over of course.

I can see where you are coming from with the quality and length of the mix but don't think it is as unlikely as you do, that a Manchester radio station could end up with a DAT copy of a night at the Hac. I may be wrong though... Maybe some of the peeps who were members here when the mix first surfaced (Konspiracy? Shooms?) have some more info...? I can't remember anyone questioning it's authenticty before and there has been some real Hac experts on this site over the years.

I really hope its genuine as it's the only example I have of (virtually) a full night from back in the day. As you know it's not unusual to get 4 - 5 and even 6 hour mixes floating around today but all current nights. I have a mate that worked on the launch of Century, might ask him if he remembers anything about it.

I appreciate your insight Noel.

Noel

May 12, 2003
Wolverhampton
That's the 24 Hour Party people Re-union ruled out then. There seems to be quite a few re-union nights these days but I can't remember there being that many back in the early naughties. Thought some more peeps might have weighed in with an opinion on this....

I will sort you out with that mix... ;)

i recorded it to minidisc on the night it was broadcast... if i recall correct didn't terry christian introduce it as a set recorded live back in the day... reason i recall this is i listed to his show loads after that thinking he was gonna play more sets:$

i have seen it as february 89 too

i will dig out the minidiscs and have a play - see if there was an intro to the night it was played

Noel

May 12, 2003
Wolverhampton
i recorded it to minidisc on the night it was broadcast... if i recall correct didn't terry christian introduce it as a set recorded live back in the day... reason i recall this is i listed to his show loads after that thinking he was gonna play more sets:$
Did wonder if Terry Christian might have been the source due to his apparently very large collection of Hacienda sets... was gonna mention it in my post above but though I had waffled on enough already! :|

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Had this on over the weekend, first time in ages.

Christ it’s brilliant. Still sounds fresh. Will be 30 years old next year!