Jury Service

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Anyone ever done this before? Any stories to tell?

In a few weeks I start on a trial, no idea what it will be about until I turn up on the Monday morning

I heard you can be found in contempt of court for:

1. falling asleep
2. Being late
3. Not paying attention

Well thats me fucked then...

Whoever is on trial is gonna hang for this, I tells thee!

Last edited:

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
Are your works topping up your wages Neil? I only ask as Jonno got called up for it a few months back but he had to decline. I think you can only claim about £100 per week or something, and his work basically refuse to pay your normal wages.

He really wanted to do it too- he was hoping for a right meaty smackhead/shoplifting/murder/dealer roped in to give evidence combo scenario. He was so gutted lol we even thought about just going sometime and watching one anyway:condom: .

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
dare you to wear a burkha & an ipod ;)

I'd imagine they would be suprised if I turned up in one of those considering my name and the fact I am male

Got a pair of these on order tho just in case, draw a couple of eyes on the lenses, bobs yer uncle, 2 jobs in one, a disguise if its a loony who will come looking for me AND it will be incredibly difficult for them to tell if Im awake

bxp51811.jpg

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Are your works topping up your wages Neil? I only ask as Jonno got called up for it a few months back but he had to decline. I think you can only claim about £100 per week or something, and his work basically refuse to pay your normal wages.

He really wanted to do it too- he was hoping for a right meaty smackhead/shoplifting/murder/dealer roped in to give evidence combo scenario. He was so gutted lol we even thought about just going sometime and watching one anyway:condom: .

I think they are, although I havent had it confirmed yet. There is a code I can book to so that is a good sign:)

I do hope its an interesting one, they do have some heavyweight cases at this court, Im pretty sure the Shipman trial was there..:eek:

So I'll be seeing you at the one Im on will I...no shouting "Objection!!" Ive always wanted to do that:D

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
I think they are, although I havent had it confirmed yet. There is a code I can book to so that is a good sign:)

I do hope its an interesting one, they do have some heavyweight cases at this court, Im pretty sure the Shipman trial was there..:eek:

So I'll be seeing you at the one Im on will I...no shouting "Objection!!" Ive always wanted to do that:D

Lol we can't ever get a babysitter, though if we could we would be there!

You might get them who did the Hospital Inn on news years day!

Lucky you, it will be loads of fun- and they always finish early at like 3 ( I don't know this as i am always in court lol, i just know a few who have done service) so you get to go home then.

Off topic, but how odd about that kids tv presenter eh. Class A's, girlfriend found dead in the bath. What the bloody hell went on there!

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
Lol we can't ever get a babysitter, though if we could we would be there!

Lucky you, it will be loads of fun- and they always finish early at like 3 ( I don't know this as i am always in court lol, i just know a few who have done service) so you get to go home then.

Off topic, but how odd about that kids tv presenter eh. Class A's, girlfriend found dead in the bath. What the bloody hell went on there!

shes prob just OD'd in the bath, if it was any one else there wouldnt of been a big fuss over it

Entropy92

Aug 8, 2001
Stoke
Jury Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone ever done this before? Any stories to tell?

In a few weeks I start on a trial, no idea what it will be about until I turn up on the Monday morning

I heard you can be found in contempt of court for:

1. falling asleep
2. Being late
3. Not paying attention

Well thats me fucked then...

Whoever is on trial is gonna hang for this, I tells thee!

probably the only benefit from havin criminal convictions is that i wont have to endure this at some point!

D

Deleted member 6141

homer simpson said the trick to getting out of jury service is to say your predjudiced against all races lol

Harri74

May 29, 2007
Midlands
www.myspace.com
I got called for Jury Service in Jan 04. The case was some robbing smackhead who the old bill stumbled over hiding in some bushes in my town. The case got dropped though because the old bill forgot to synchronise their stories when they reported the arrest - doh! I saw the guy outside afterwards having a crafty fag.. i gave him a nod but he stared right through me - cnut.. ;)

I was called for two weeks but only sat on the one case which only lasted a day. There was another case but the mother had a change of heart at the last minute and the case against her daughter for robbing her credit card was dropped. I was hoping for a juicy murder or peedo case but sadly its not that exciting round here.. most days we just got sent home - was interesting though :)

Harri74

May 29, 2007
Midlands
www.myspace.com
The worse bit is at the start of the case.. each member of the jury has to stand up and take oath on the bible. Felt like a right twat. You have the choice of an alternative oath if you dont believe in god - i was gonna go for that but didnt want to make myself stand out - i was para enough :p lol so went for the church of england shizzle, just didnt blurt it out if you know what i mean.

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002

Heh, a meaty armed robbery with proper villains, although its a case of be careful what you wish for, Id rather not have some Manc scroat staring at me for 2 weeks. That boozer isnt far from my house if its the one I think it is

I'll probably get a 2 bit thug whos nicked a grannys purse, if I do Im recommending 30 years without parole to the judge

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
I got called for Jury Service in Jan 04. The case was some robbing smackhead who the old bill stumbled over hiding in some bushes in my town. The case got dropped though because the old bill forgot to synchronise their stories when they reported the arrest - doh! I saw the guy outside afterwards having a crafty fag.. i gave him a nod but he stared right through me - cnut.. ;)

I was called for two weeks but only sat on the one case which only lasted a day. There was another case but the mother had a change of heart at the last minute and the case against her daughter for robbing her credit card was dropped. I was hoping for a juicy murder or peedo case but sadly its not that exciting round here.. most days we just got sent home - was interesting though :)

So did you do the full 2 weeks? They havent clarified it in the docs Ive been sent. I could handle getting sent home everyday:D

anthonyf218

Jul 31, 2005
neil, ive done this twice, both at Liverpool crown court, once when i was 21 and the last time 2 years ago. Good couple of weeks, skive of early if ur not on a case. Company i work for just put it down as jury service and paid me normal pay (but i hear some companies arent so kind).

Anway, the last time it was for some football hooligan from Portsmouth (not shooms :D ).

Basically, Portsmouth where playing everton and two big gangs from either side kicked off big time around the Cavern Walk area. Anyway, it showed all the cctv footage where it was kickin off etc, and this lad from Portsmouth who was labelled the portsmouth ring leader, kept going back for more.

Anyway, his two best mates from Portsmouth give witness statements for him bla bla, but no-one was having any of it, the lad was a complete cock, and he was found guilty. Goin into the jury room and arguing it all out with the other jurers was wicked, we couldnt make a unanimous decision after a full session so the judge declared we could have a split 10 - 2 decision. So we ended up goin back in and got it to 9 guilty, 3 against, so we ended up playing mind games on the weak jurer to get her to change her mind. Well good lol.:$ In the end she changed her mind and the lad got convicted. After he was found guilty the judge couldnt give a sentence ... cos he was due up on anoher charge.

This is the mad bit...

When i went back to work after the trial (in manchester) we had a set of telecoms contractors build some telecoms switches from Portsmouth. And i was managing the contractors. Anyway, when i got back i told them about the trial and it turned out they knew the lad and one of the witnesses was his best mate! So unbelievably right in front of me he got on his mobile to the witness and started tellin him one of the jurers was stood in front of him. laughin.:crazy:

In the end, the lad told me that the convicted lad (im sure his name was something like Mark Hore, maybe shooms knows him?) was up on another charge of smugglin in £90k worth of resin from spain in a false floor of a transit van. I looked things up a while later on the crown court website and i think he got five years for that and 18 months for the case i was on, but both ran concurrently etc.

But anyway, the odds of me being picked for jury service, then get that case, and then fo it to be for someone who connected those lads from portsmouth who i was managing ... are long :redneck:

Last edited:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
How do they decide who to call in for jury service?:S

I've never been asked to do it anyway and apart from taking a piss outside Wigan cop shop when I was a young man with a full bladder and getting caught, my record is clean:p