The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
I cannot comment as i will never get asked
10_1_1121.gif

;)

anthonyf218

Jul 31, 2005
How do they decide who to call in for jury service?:S

I've never been asked to do it anyway and apart from taking a piss outside Wigan cop shop when I was a young man with a full bladder and getting caught, my record is clean:p

think you just need to have a clean record, and its then chosen at random fom the electoral register or something. I think most people also think you can do it only the one time, but not true. Once ur in there, again its chosen at random for each case, and they ask you whether theres any chance of you knowing or knowing of the defendant etc. if so, they give you a little interview and decide whether to let you on the jury.

Honestly, top two weeks, theres about 200 people in a big waiting room with a little canteen and tvs etc, and if you start chatting to people its sound, good break from the normal job. :thumbsup:

digthemusic

Mar 25, 2002
burnley
You can do the jury service even if you have been a bad lad, but not if you've spent time in the big house :cops:

I got called up a few years ago and had a week long cause of a bloke who was up for being a paedophile.

I used to go through the same entrance as him in the morning :eek:

When you go into the court room at the start of the case, your made to stand up one by one and the defendant say's wether he'd like you on the case or not :S

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
neil, ive done this twice, both at Liverpool crown court, once when i was 21 and the last time 2 years ago. Good couple of weeks, skive of early if ur not on a case. Company i work for just put it down as jury service and paid me normal pay (but i hear some companies arent so kind).

Anway, the last time it was for some football hooligan from Portsmouth (not shooms :D ).

Basically, Portsmouth where playing everton and two big gangs from either side kicked off big time around the Cavern Walk area. Anyway, it showed all the cctv footage where it was kickin off etc, and this lad from Portsmouth who was labelled the portsmouth ring leader, kept going back for more.

Anyway, his two best mates from Portsmouth give witness statements for him bla bla, but no-one was having any of it, the lad was a complete cock, and he was found guilty. Goin into the jury room and arguing it all out with the other jurers was wicked, we couldnt make a unanimous decision after a full session so the judge declared we could have a split 10 - 2 decision. So we ended up goin back in and got it to 9 guilty, 3 against, so we ended up playing mind games on the weak jurer to get her to change her mind. Well good lol.:$ In the end she changed her mind and the lad got convicted. After he was found guilty the judge couldnt give a sentence ... cos he was due up on anoher charge.

This is the mad bit...

When i went back to work after the trial (in manchester) we had a set of telecoms contractors build some telecoms switches from Portsmouth. And i was managing the contractors. Anyway, when i got back i told them about the trial and it turned out they knew the lad and one of the witnesses was his best mate! So unbelievably right in front of me he got on his mobile to the witness and started tellin him one of the jurers was stood in front of him. laughin.:crazy:

In the end, the lad told me that the convicted lad (im sure his name was something like Mark Hore, maybe shooms knows him?) was up on another charge of smugglin in £90k worth of resin from spain in a false floor of a transit van. I looked things up a while later on the crown court website and i think he got five years for that and 18 months for the case i was on, but both ran concurrently etc.

But anyway, the odds of me being picked for jury service, then get that case, and then fo it to be for someone who connected those lads from portsmouth who i was managing ... are long :redneck:

That is crazy:crazy: , cant say Id be pleased with someone connected to the accused knowing who I was:S .

Knowing my luck I'll bump into them at the bar in my local:barney:

mr ben

Mar 22, 2006
huyton
i am as we speak on the phone to a call centre in some far off foreign land about a charge on my BT phone account that should not be there , i have been on hold for twenty odd minutes , cut off , redialled and have spent another twenty odd minutes on hold .... since then i have tried and failed to explain my problem whilst being placed on hold a further 3 times .........

the point i am trying to make is that if i could get my hand down the reciever of the phone i am on , some of you maybe on jury duty judging me lol :p

oh and im still on hold :mad:

i got called up on jury service about 9 year ago
my work got a form to fill in asking how much i earned, and as its quite a small firm they put down quite a bit more than what i was actually on, with the outcome i got paid like a months wage for 2 weeks!!, thing was at the time a mate of mine had a record shop 150yards from the courthouse! so guess where i spent my lunchtimes, i used to go back to court and had to get my bag of around 10 12" searched every day! bang went the extra money! :cry:

i was on a rape case, i dont really want to go into detail but on the evidence and the judges summing up (he does sway you one way or the other!), when we went into the room to decide the verdict the foreman of the jury said "before we discuss anything, can i have a show of hands for not guilty" and everybody put their hands up! so after about 2minutes we rang the bell and told the clerk we had a unanimous verdict
i can still see the lads face as he took to the stand
and his face as the foreman said "not guilty"

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
How do they decide who to call in for jury service?:S

I've never been asked to do it anyway and apart from taking a piss outside Wigan cop shop when I was a young man with a full bladder and getting caught, my record is clean:p

Yeah people are picked randomly from the electoral register then checked for convictions/connections/political biases. Its meant to be a random cross section of society, people from all different backgrounds & levels of occupation, the idea being that you are being tried by your peers because its fairer than being tried by someone like a judge who is more likely to be biased towards strict punishment & conviction etc with them being part of the justice system.

Marcus, people with legal backgrounds can do it now, have been able to for a while, because it was decided they are as much a part of the cross section as anyone else, even judges are eligable now. Although in reality, people with higher profile jobs like docs, dentists, judges get out of it due to their workload anyway, so it never ends up being a perfect cross section.

I'd love to do it, some of it is seriously dull though, even when I watched a murder case during work exp I was asleep in the public gallery while they were going over the same bits of evidence over & over & oooooover, best bit was when they pulled out exhibit A,....the murder weapon.... some mahoosive axe with a huge spike on the other end....:|