Audio Levels when using vinyl

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

stetheboro

Jul 21, 2001
Louisiana formerly Middlesbrough
Anyone got any pointers on monitoring volume levels when bringing in a tune on vinyl on a digital mixer.

I've got the RANE Seventy and obviously use the lights to try judge, but I always seem to get that 1 track move the crossfader slightly and its near double the volume of other tune.

Any pointers?

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
few suggestions.

a lot use upfaders only as said, personally I use both alot but do like my x fa

Test it in your headphones.. eg have it so you can hear both tunes... U will get used even if just for a quick test to do levels only.

lower the levels and particularly the bass on the tune u are bringing in.. sounds less harsh if you have to raise the volume than lower it.

sometimes lights can be decieving as bass heavy tunes will always will look higher - be aware of it and try know ya tunes.

sometime ya can do a sneak tease and put a bit of the tune in, before You plan to mix.

shit like strings, synth and piano intro are always bit More tricky so a bit more tlc required.

most important is to enjoy fookin up :)

Brock Landers

Staff member
A few tips: -

Don't use your crossfader at all. Set it in the centre and don't move it..

Set your cue mix to the centre and listen, with both sides of the headphones to the track playing and the track you are cueing. Adjust the volume of the cued track to match. Leave your EQs in the centre to do this. Also, try to play the "loudest" part of the cued track against the "loudest" part of the playing track. Once you're happy they are the same level (regardless of what the level meters are doing), dial out the frequencies of the cued track to suit (Bass/mid/high) before bring it in.

Never, ever have your mixer main out put pushing over 0db. This will really mess your sound up on a digital mixer generally.

Never, ever use your EQs over 0db (to boost frequencies). This will really mess your levels up.

Remember less is more, in most circumstances, so rather than pushing the levels as close to 0db as possible, remember that bringing down the level of the live track has the same effect as increasing the level of the incoming.