Which is more Hip Hop?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
Blapps Posse- Don't Hold Back, or DJ Mink's Hey Hey Can U Relate.

For me it's Don't Hold Back everyday of the week.

phones:

Gav

Feb 6, 2004
London
.....or as one guy from east london once referred to them after I played, very proto breakbeat?

you know what kids are like today, they need to give everything a name...if you're flyer says 'dirty electro boogaloo disco funk dub breaks then you're onto a winner I find.

DAMO 72

Aug 11, 2004
giggletown
Hmmmm.... good question, i like it. For me i had to think for a few mins between the two but im gonna go with dj mink as blapps is a tad played out in my opinion and mink's hey hey is a bit more raw in every sense of the components of hip hop in my opinion of course.
D:cool:

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
Hmmmm.... good question, i like it. For me i had to think for a few mins between the two but im gonna go with dj mink as blapps is a tad played out in my opinion and mink's hey hey is a bit more raw in every sense of the components of hip hop in my opinion of course.
D:cool:

I have never heard it played out, if i did i would be creaming in my Kappa's:condom:

For the reasons you go for Mink, i go for Blapps bizarrely- to me is is more raw. I think Mink's has aged better, but that is another reason i go for Don't Hold Back, it's just of that time and sound's less polished:thumbsup:

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
.....or as one guy from east london once referred to them after I played, very proto breakbeat?

you know what kids are like today, they need to give everything a name...if you're flyer says 'dirty electro boogaloo disco funk dub breaks then you're onto a winner I find.

Soz i shoul have elaborated, i don't mean like falls into the cat of hip hop, but just FEELS it.

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
DJ Mink gets my vote

i never really thought of Blapps being a hip hop tune, i never really played the original near as much as the later remix... maybe its cos of liberal use of the 'Need You Now' samples that give it that more breakbeat house feel. Whereas DJ Mink have more of those proper hip hop elements... ive played DJ Mink out a few times and also heard it get played whilst ive been out a few times too, Steve Thorpe used to cain it at Tangled...its wicked especially that kc riff towards the end, everyone loves that bitphones:

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
anyone know anything about Mink, or who is 2wice The Trouble (FON version) or if you have it on Warp... its K.I.D, The & Carruthers, no mention of 2wice!?!?

anyway one massive tune but as far as i can tell they all have just slipped of the radar:confused:

anyone know anything about Mink, or who is 2wice The Trouble (FON version) or if you have it on Warp... its K.I.D, The & Carruthers, no mention of 2wice!?!?

anyway one massive tune but as far as i can tell they all have just slipped of the radar:confused:

Pauly can probably enlighten us... it's a Yaaaarkshire tune innit :D

My copy's on FON but w/l... it's ace to see that despite 3 releases (Fon, Ozone, Warp) this tune still commands a price... & rightly so :king:

PS I do love everything on Blapps / Pure Bhoomie but deffo would say it's more ruffneck house/hardcore/hiphousecore lol

And for my money the best tune was Bus' It (remix) :love:

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
....in answer to your question though, I'd go for DJ Mink, but shoot me down in flames if you want..;)

am with you Gav. Mink is waaaay more hip hop. Great to meet you the other night. Hope Mark didn't ask you to see some puppies on the way home....

Gav

Feb 6, 2004
London
am with you Gav. Mink is waaaay more hip hop. Great to meet you the other night. Hope Mark didn't ask you to see some puppies on the way home....

I was lucky, I never got any puppy lines..........maybe people are waiting for when I look more inebriated and my natural defences thus will be lowered....

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
I think you need to go home and re-asses your life Amelie ;)

There is no time for that round my crib homie, i way to busy busting b-boy moves 24/7 and just being dead fly in general for that- i even just got a phone call off Big Daddy Kane asking me advice on how he can get his ass looking a bit pimp again. It never stops, honest- i just made the kids tuna butt's for lunch and i used my Kangol shape cutter on the bread and arranged the hula hoops in the shape of a mic:condom: