What do you prefer?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Quezzie for the collectors, what do you go for and what do you think is more collectable - promos or original releases?

Was reading something the other day that said that original releases were always worth more than the promos. The article was about rock, so got me thinking if the same could be said about dance.

Discuss... :)

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Promo's every time and I mean white labels over marked promos.

I cant see how general release is more than promo unless the artwork is something special and they are suggesting promo's have a hard life with pro dj use.

S

Postie

VIP Silver Member
Jan 22, 2006
St Helens
Personally i have no preference but i try and stay away from white promos,some of them can be of poor quality as alot of us know.When i have bought vinyl i tend to not look look at the value, promo or not,many a tune i have bought for 20p and i have liked it.When i buy i tend to keep for life,as 30 years have proved ,couple of times ive thought about selling when oldskool feels stale but never go through with it.:D

for me it depends...

i recall wanting imports before they were pulled and signed by british labels then remixed to high heaven with the original mixes sometimes being over looked with the release of 2 or 3 remixes. Having said that, I agree with Postie, if the tune is good and as long as its on vinyl then i will buy.

There is something nice getting an original promo, especially on import but if i dont have it i'm not going to lose sleep. some of my favourite records are 3 a penny but they all have value to me. generally i can recall which shop i bought them in too!! :thumbsup:

tilt

Mar 2, 2004
Germany
I prefer original releases. It is not that easy to find anything if you have thousands of white labels floating around.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
With like for like records having the same mixes on, i'd go for proper releases everytime:thumbsup:

The reason is, they're far easier to find when i'm mixing, or just looking for a tunes amongst racks of other tunes:crazy:

It's already a struggle sometimes to find a particular record and I have been known to spend a couple of hours looking for a tune, before giving up :doh: