Tunes that changed your life - any genre

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

waxHead

Feb 15, 2006
The one song I can credit to shaping my entire life is Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2). I can remember my parents playing this when I was a kid, and I think it's the song that's led to my love of music. Amusingly, the only other one is probably Robert Miles - Children, as this really got me into trance, which has since led me into every other genre of electronic music. That one's not too great - no kidding! - but it deserves a mention ;)

Entropy92

Aug 8, 2001
Stoke
remeber going to spain with me old dears in about 1990 at 12 and buyin a "now thats what i call music" tape at manchester airport to put on me walkman which had orbital-chime on and then thinking whats the rest of this shite doing on here

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!

lol i remember one of my mates jordee buying this Various - House Hits '88 back in 1988, he only had it about a week n i borrowed it, one of my fave tracks was jack in the opera house, i kept the album for about 2 years, kept makin excuses up to him so i could have it longer, gave it back in the end :thumbsup: i remember it being a great summer that year to lol :thumbsup:

lol i had that as well ;) i remember borrowing my uncle dens personal casette stereo lol was the size of a flippin house brick as well - took the tape everywhere with me :pphones:

Billy Liar

Sep 15, 2003
Uckerschmuck
Top thread...mine in no order..
theme from camberwick green-even at such a young age , it taught me that the world is not as we think....
hearing orange lemon and acts of madmen at Meltdown in Leeds at the astoria..."right ...I fkin get this" whilst candyflippin.
New Order-Power , Corruption Lies.
Brian Eno-An ending
Kingsmen - Louie Louie

hazofthe dome

Jan 14, 2008
Near Alty
A tune that changed my life was proberly looking back now, was 'Looking for the perfect beat' by afrika bambata.

Myself and my friend were maybe 13 ish 1983, and all getting into breakin and in hand with that rap/electro music.
And it kinda dictated my taste in music for the next 15 years or so.
Another crucial moment is Clear by juan atkins as thats the crossover from electro to techno in my eyes and in 83-4 juan was lightyears ahead ..

And seeing mantronix live in the hacienda was close to being the best gig i ever went to, to this day..
Many great night in the hac, but that was a bit special..:king:

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
Always a tough one to pick out your favourite songs, but I`ve got two life changing musical moments - 1) Nov 1979 - I was a young teenage rocker watchin Top Of the Tops and on comes a pasty faced, jumpsuit clad, young fella wearin dark make up - 3 seconds into the opening synth riff & BOOM - musical perception changed forever! Are Friends Electric? - Tubeway Army - a bone fide classic & I`m still a huge Numan fan to this day.:cool:

Couldn't agree more. :D
I've got all the early Numan stuff...
I've just picked up a 12" copy of "Down in the Park" off the Bay to complete the set after nearly 30 years of searching... :D :D :D :D Still sounds amazing today.

JayTee

Feb 12, 2007
Warrington
Couldn't agree more. :D
I've got all the early Numan stuff...
I've just picked up a 12" copy of "Down in the Park" off the Bay to complete the set after nearly 30 years of searching... :D :D :D :D Still sounds amazing today.

Yeah me too mate - love the old stuff, but also his new music too. Really like the hard industrial edge it`s got - awesome live too:fekked:
Do you know he`s touring the Replicas album this year? - I`m going to the Academy in Manchester in March to see him. Will be the 11th time Ive been at a Numan gig!

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
All had an impact on me for different reasons.

Beatles, The - Yellow Submarine / Eleanor Rigby Eleanor Rigby btw! Earliest memory of a tune that made you think lyrics were important and could change how you feel.

Morrissey - November Spawned A Monster Made me realise that lyrics could be poetry, inspired, about any subject and could change your view of the world forever.

M|A|R|R|S - Pump Up The Volume Made me realise lyrics were not always important! I first heard this on "The Roxy" on Saturday morning TV as a kid and thought wow this is cool. Probably sparked my love of dance music. (althought I think Depeche Mode probably did that first without me realising!)

Last edited: