tonight on joolz holland..

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
Cheers for the heads up on this...
DJing myself tonight so thank god for the i-Player - making the unmissable unmissable. :cool: will catch this tomorrow.

I think dance music in general owes Grandmaster Flash a great deal... I remember an Arena programme on BBC2 in about 1981 which had Flash, DJ Herc, Bambaata etc just as the whole electro thing was about to kick off... Herc is cruising round the Bronx with two 5 foot speaker stacks in the back of his convertible... fantastic stuff. :cool:

BTW, if anyone's interested, also check out the "Flash" album that came out on Strut a few years ago - it's worth it just for the sleeve notes! :D

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
cheers simzzz i shall be watching :cool:

the program you mentioned adam was an episode of arena, called beat this a history of hiphop i also watched it years ago when it was on, and have since watched it on you tube but its in 6 parts and i think 1 part is missing :(

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
I just met Grandmaster Cas ('I'm the C-A-S and the N-O-V and the rest is F-L-Y') on the hip hop tour in New York last week. Top top bloke, loved Harlem and the Bronx, bubbling with energy, not all of it wholesome!

His musical philosphy was exactly like ours, the house music generation.

Will tune in for this for sure, thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
I just met Grandmaster Cas ('I'm the C-A-S and the N-O-V and the rest is F-L-Y') on the hip hop tour in New York last week. Top top bloke, loved Harlem and the Bronx, bubbling with energy, not all of it wholesome!

nice one ed we did the same, he is a top bloke, and very funny, the way he tells the tales:D did he do mc delight on the coach i managed to get his cd off him from the bus :thumbsup:

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
nice one ed we did the same, he is a top bloke, and very funny, the way he tells the tales:D did he do mc delight on the coach i managed to get his cd off him from the bus :thumbsup:

PM'ed ya phones: . Yeah he rapped on the bus with us as well, and got us shouting 'Grandmaster - Caz! Grandmaster - Caz!'. We had a good chat about the tune Funky Nassau by The End, which I had to work dead hard to id a few years back, via the Knee deep house remix, and back to a bar in Liverpool where I heard the original. So I was buzzing when he played it on the bus. He told me where to get a copy in NYC as well on vinyl, but I didn't get chance to go record shopping... (Actually I deliberately avoided it for fear of what I might end up carrying back!)

Anyway, fucking great horns, awesome break, funky party lyrics, its a bona fide classic.

YouTube - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau - Soul Disco 45rpm

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
yep its a tune ed phones:

just watched flash, did i sense he wasn't prepared to say that Grand Wizard Theodore was the inventor of the scratch ;) and who put ants in his faded pants :D still not bad for a funky awld dowg though phones:

simzzzz

yeah he took me around on that bus tour, top bloke :thumbsup: we was lucky as when you stopped off at the fried chicken place in harlem in walks Rahim from furious five, he got on the bus and a lift back to manhattan, caz and rahim freestyled all the way back. :king: twas wicked:thumbsup:

i missed grandmaster last night so will have to watch on iplayer

Duke

yeah he took me around on that bus tour, top bloke :thumbsup: we was lucky as when you stopped off at the fried chicken place in harlem in walks Rahim from furious five, he got on the bus and a lift back to manhattan, caz and rahim freestyled all the way back. :king: twas wicked:thumbsup:

i missed grandmaster last night so will have to watch on iplayer

i'll up it 4 ya all

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
PM'ed ya phones: . Yeah he rapped on the bus with us as well, and got us shouting 'Grandmaster - Caz! Grandmaster - Caz!'. We had a good chat about the tune Funky Nassau by The End, which I had to work dead hard to id a few years back, via the Knee deep house remix, and back to a bar in Liverpool where I heard the original. So I was buzzing when he played it on the bus. He told me where to get a copy in NYC as well on vinyl, but I didn't get chance to go record shopping... (Actually I deliberately avoided it for fear of what I might end up carrying back!)

Anyway, fucking great horns, awesome break, funky party lyrics, its a bona fide classic.

YouTube - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau - Soul Disco 45rpm

He was gonna show me where to buy records too, but I think he remembered me calling him a hustler (after he ripped me off buying a record at a show in Manhatten 1999) when I mentioned the show as we were heading back to Manhatten:(

At least it was after he'd showed us the Hip Hop goodies of the Bronx and Harlem and had earlier 1 on 1 chats where he taught me a bit of history:p

Gonna do the tour again at some point and hopefully I get Rahim (''..the ladies dream'') at the next one for an alternate insight ;)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Nice one JD:thumbsup:

I caught up with this on iPlayer and he wasn't at his best, but as always entertaining:thumbsup: :)

Would have been nice if he'd given props where they were due too, instead of letting Joolz make out he was the originator of the scratch and the man who created hip hop:|

I noticed he was using what should be my next mixer too ;)

simzzzz

Nice one JD:thumbsup:

I caught up with this on iPlayer and he wasn't at his best, but as always entertaining:thumbsup: :)

Would have been nice if he'd given props where they were due too, instead of letting Joolz make out he was the originator of the scratch and the man who created hip hop:|

I noticed he was using what should be my next mixer too ;)

is it on iplayer now ? i had a look this morning and couldnt find it !