The seaworld story today..

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

beaker

Jun 24, 2005
Dr Huxtables
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/25/seaworld-to-decide-killer-whale-fate

Hi everyone.. I read about this early this morning and was really shocked and saddened to read what's happened and i cant help wondering if it is in some way a warning from this whale that its had enough. I believe he has been involved in two more deaths of humans, tho this was in full view of a stadium full on spectators. Is it fair to destroy him? If he were a dangerous dog he'd be put to sleep. Or is it Seaworlds fault for keeping these magnificent creatures locked up in a tiny pool , fed on fish as and when they perform like seals , so to speak?
Ste and i went to Orlando a few years ago now and i couldnt comprehend what it was going to be like there and how big the stadium and Shamu were going to be. Where the hell they sleep was another concern lol.. and even after seeing it all for myself i still cant get my head around the fact a fkin killer whale swims round and dives with there trainers balanced on there nose :crazy: It astounds me. And i know that if they decided they didn't wanna swim out and perform that day they weren't gonna .But for some reason , i'm guessing its the love, trust and friendship they develop with these trainers they must genuinely want to swim out dive and splash everyone.
My thoughts are with the family of Dawn the trainer who lost her life ..RIP

Just wondering if anyone else has any views on it? :(

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
it is the risk that the trainers take imo, end of the day it is a wild animal (trained or not) the animal instinct & will always show.

I'm sure the trainers know this

Still RIP to the trainer

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
I'm pretty sure that people who get into stuff like that know the risks. Same as people having tigers and bears and shit from cubs. You may well develop a great relationship and make the animal exceptionally tame, but it's always got to be in the back of your mind that it's a wild animal and one day it might just snap.

YouTube - Crazy bear attack women!!

It does make me wonder though why people continued to work with this whale after there had already been a couple of other incidents / deaths.

it is the risk that the trainers take imo, end of the day it is a wild animal (trained or not) the animal instinct & will always show.

I'm sure the trainers know this

Of course! It's like those two dudes who had a white tiger since birth...(sigfreid and roy???) and one day the tiger just decided to take the neck off one of them. Like Dan said, the instinct is always there...and sometimes will show to be fatal. Just a split second, and the domesticity is gone and the instinct is all that's left. Plus, we're kinda the size of seals aren't we...they flip them about for kicks never mind even eating them. They shouldn't put the poor thing down, it should get put back in the sea...

Plus, look at the state of the dorsal fin...flopped over pathetically...thats because they shouldn't be cooped up...it's sad.

lottie

Apr 24, 2006
where ever i lay my hat ( straw one )
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/25/seaworld-to-decide-killer-whale-fate

Hi everyone.. I read about this early this morning and was really shocked and saddened to read what's happened and i cant help wondering if it is in some way a warning from this whale that its had enough. I believe he has been involved in two more deaths of humans, tho this was in full view of a stadium full on spectators. Is it fair to destroy him? If he were a dangerous dog he'd be put to sleep. Or is it Seaworlds fault for keeping these magnificent creatures locked up in a tiny pool , fed on fish as and when they perform like seals , so to speak?
Ste and i went to Orlando a few years ago now and i couldnt comprehend what it was going to be like there and how big the stadium and Shamu were going to be. Where the hell they sleep was another concern lol.. and even after seeing it all for myself i still cant get my head around the fact a fkin killer whale swims round and dives with there trainers balanced on there nose :crazy: It astounds me. And i know that if they decided they didn't wanna swim out and perform that day they weren't gonna .But for some reason , i'm guessing its the love, trust and friendship they develop with these trainers they must genuinely want to swim out dive and splash everyone.
My thoughts are with the family of Dawn the trainer who lost her life ..RIP

Just wondering if anyone else has any views on it? :(

always been facinated with whales , sharks, went to sea world many years ago and came away feeling really sad after seeing them spesh after seeing the size of there holding tank :naughty: personally a big fat no to the whale being destroyed imo seaworld choose to keep them and the trainers are happy with the conditions they work in , no disrespect to dawn (rip) think its lovely that her sister has spoken out and said dawn wouldn't want it to be destroyed :)

stetheboro

Jul 21, 2001
Louisiana formerly Middlesbrough
I goto Seaworld in San Antonio at least once a year and it is by far the greatest theme/adventure park out there. Their shows are unique and its truly amazing to see human and animal interacting the way they do.

Do I think it is cruel to the animals? No way them animals are so pampered and are in the hands of the worlds best marine biologists/trainers. Having been so many times I simply cannot see any sadness in the animals, they seem to love it as much as the crowds do.

Now with this instance and this whale everyone knows the risks, this is a killer animal at instinct and like any other living thing has the possibility to snap. Look at Husbands and Wives, share lives together, have kids together but in some circumstances one may just snap and kill or hurt the other and thats without a killer instinct.

beaker

Jun 24, 2005
Dr Huxtables
It does make me wonder though why people continued to work with this whale after there had already been a couple of other incidents / deaths.

From what i have read no one was allowed to swim with this Orca after the other two deaths he was involved with. The first being when he and two female Orcas dragged a trainer off the the edge and she drowned. The other was a man who broke into Seaworld and jumped in with the whales. He was said to of died of hypothermia and was found naked on Tilis back. Serves him right imo, fool.

I agree with all the comments that there wild and can snap tho defo, and i think him being the breeding male among the group will give him a bit of extra erm spirit, for want of a better word. Glad to hear he isnt to be down tho:D

:love:

PepeLePew

Oct 27, 2005
Hyde
www.myspace.com
What's worse than a dog eating your shoe?

A killer whale eating your trainer.

Very little sympathy tbh. It's akin to a group of whales capturing Myra Hindley and putting her in a little semi secure section of the Wacky Warehouse; and having a chortle at how they can tease her to pull tricks.

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
Everyone needs to watch this.....

The Cove (2009)

These animals are bound to snap being held captive and being pissed off and/or bored!

Let them live in the wild, or if you are breeding them in captivity (not sure if they will breed if kept captive but hey ho) then at least give them space and shiz to swim around...

Respect to the trainer ans shiz and RIP but the animal is still that at the end of the day!

xx

Do I think it is cruel to the animals? No way them animals are so pampered and are in the hands of the worlds best marine biologists/trainers. Having been so many times I simply cannot see any sadness in the animals, they seem to love it as much as the crowds do.

Dude, it's like people keeping birdies...they're supposed to migrate, n be free to swim/fly work out hunting tactics n stuff...it's like prison if you think about it...yeah they get food, n interaction...but they don't have freedom.

They're not domestic, it's not the same as being in a bad mood...it's instinct. (We don't have much instinct left...we paid with that for our intelligence)....

I love the whales, n are amazed by them, their intelligence, and how they conduct their life. But there needs to be a healthy respect for them. This includes not judging them by our own standards. Their experience/understanding of life is is so far from what we experience, it's not even funny.

Having said that, like humans, they're indeviduals. Some will be lovely and friendly, others will be nasty and naughty...

I'm sorry, don't mean to offend ste (this message isn't just a go at you dude:wave: x)
I just think people don't have a hoilistic enough approach to the other beings around them....