The postal strike

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
I appreciate this is a little out of date, and I also appreciate there are a few posties on here, however I was watching the Channel 4 news last night and I found out a few things about Royal Mail - these involve so called Spanish practises, of which there was still quite a few (i.e. working practises that don't happen in the private sector). For instance it was said that if Royal Mail staff work half an hour's overtime they can claim for 3 hours, also there is no cross-functional working allowed, e.g. a delivery driver isn't allowed to move boxes round the sorting office.

Are these claims by the news true?

If this is the case, then Royal Mail staff don't really want to be getting everyone's backs up with their continued strikes, as sooner or later Royal Mail will be privitised, and if that happens it will be a case of welcome to the real world - no crazy spanish practises etc, don't like 2 and half percent pay rise - tough shit, find another job (the whole company I worked for once didn't get a pay rise for 3 years - apart from the fat cats at the top of course), wanna strike - you better believe your cards are marked. That's the real world and you just have to get on with it.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
I appreciate this is a little out of date, and I also appreciate there are a few posties on here, however I was watching the Channel 4 news last night and I found out a few things about Royal Mail - these involve so called Spanish practises, of which there was still quite a few (i.e. working practises that don't happen in the private sector). For instance it was said that if Royal Mail staff work half an hour's overtime they can claim for 3 hours, also there is no cross-functional working allowed, e.g. a delivery driver isn't allowed to move boxes round the sorting office.

Are these claims by the news true?

If this is the case, then Royal Mail staff don't really want to be getting everyone's backs up with their continued strikes, as sooner or later Royal Mail will be privitised, and if that happens it will be a case of welcome to the real world - no crazy spanish practises etc, don't like 2 and half percent pay rise - tough shit, find another job (the whole company I worked for once didn't get a pay rise for 3 years - apart from the fat cats at the top of course), wanna strike - you better believe your cards are marked. That's the real world and you just have to get on with it.

What are everyone's thoughts?

In the immortal words of Alan Partridge

"It's a political hot potato . . .here. . catch!"

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Not bothered about it either as it's saved me a fortune through not buying records:thumbsup: :D

It seems counterproductive to me as businesses have to use private operators instead and many might even choose to stick with them.

Do union fees still get paid through strikes, if so those union leaders wont be arsed as they wont be losing money like the rest?:naughty:

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
Here's a list of 12 "Spanish practises" (out of 92!!) from an article in yesterday's Telegraph (Telegraph Article)

* Two or three hour minimum daily overtime - so if 30 minutes of actual work is required and completed, then between two and three hours' payment is demanded;

* An additional allowance claimed for using particular vehicles - regardless of whether the individual has actually driven the vehicle;

* Automatic overtime if mail volumes reach a certain level - regardless of how many ordinary working hours remain that day;

* If a delivery round is finished before the end of the paid shift, the employee expects to be able to go straight home. But if it takes 10 minutes longer two to three hours' over time is claimed;

* Set overtime level is claimed at Christmas, even if there is no need for any additional hours and no extra hours are worked;

* An additional two hour payment on Easter Saturday - regardless of whether any work required;

* No flexibility between different parts of the same sorting office - if an employee sorts letters for a particular postcode, they will not sort for the adjacent postcode, even though both activities are often in the same room;

* Signing in and out for a shift on arrival - so that no record of actual hours worked exists;

* Collection drivers expect overtime pay for doing collections outside usual route - even if it is done within usual working hours;

* Overtime to cover for an absent colleague - a full day is claimed, even if only half day needed and worked;

* Ban on any cross functional working, even of similar tasks under the same roof;

* Additional meal and grace breaks as custom and practice

If these are the case (and the list has come from Royal Mail itself), then surely Royal Mail workers need to have a think what will happen if they are privatised, which the public is going to want sooner or later with continued strikes.

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
What a godsend!!!

Postal strike = no bills!!!

RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol, of course the credit card / ultility bill companies probably won't give a shit that the post didn't come though - in the words of Henry Hill from Goodfellas; "fuck you, pay me".

Here's a list of 12 "Spanish practises" (out of 92!!) from an article in yesterday's Telegraph (Telegraph Article)

* Two or three hour minimum daily overtime - so if 30 minutes of actual work is required and completed, then between two and three hours' payment is demanded;

* An additional allowance claimed for using particular vehicles - regardless of whether the individual has actually driven the vehicle;

* Automatic overtime if mail volumes reach a certain level - regardless of how many ordinary working hours remain that day;

* If a delivery round is finished before the end of the paid shift, the employee expects to be able to go straight home. But if it takes 10 minutes longer two to three hours' over time is claimed;

* Set overtime level is claimed at Christmas, even if there is no need for any additional hours and no extra hours are worked;

* An additional two hour payment on Easter Saturday - regardless of whether any work required;

* No flexibility between different parts of the same sorting office - if an employee sorts letters for a particular postcode, they will not sort for the adjacent postcode, even though both activities are often in the same room;

* Signing in and out for a shift on arrival - so that no record of actual hours worked exists;

* Collection drivers expect overtime pay for doing collections outside usual route - even if it is done within usual working hours;

* Overtime to cover for an absent colleague - a full day is claimed, even if only half day needed and worked;

* Ban on any cross functional working, even of similar tasks under the same roof;

* Additional meal and grace breaks as custom and practice

If these are the case (and the list has come from Royal Mail itself), then surely Royal Mail workers need to have a think what will happen if they are privatised, which the public is going to want sooner or later with continued strikes.

'kinell !

I'm in the wrong job.... :|

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
It has to be pointed out that we (or at least I) are debating this in works time, on a works asset & being paid for it ;)
Lol, that's true I had thought of that, but we're only costing our companies bottom line rather than the taxpayer.

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
What a complete load of bollocks :condom: :rofl:

Absolutely none of that goes on in the office i work at , maybe the odd overtime claim here and there but nothing as great as that , our manager is so strict on giving overtime out its near impossible to get it

At end of the day royal mail effectively want to give us a pay cut over the next 3/4 years , remove our door to door payments which we rely on to make our wages up and also remove our final salary pension . Plus they want to introduce flexi time where as you can be told no less than two hours before your starting time , oh today your at such an office or your doing such a job .. Hmmm no thanks id like to know what im doing day to day thankyouplease ..

We do not get paid for being on strike and yes we do still pay our union subs , i have lost around 800 pounds this year so far due to the strikes , money which i will never get back , even if we do get the pay rise

Dont believe everything you read in the papers :condom:

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
Ok heres your replys to this lot

* Two or three hour minimum daily overtime - so if 30 minutes of actual work is required and completed, then between two and three hours' payment is demanded; Lol i wish :condom:

* An additional allowance claimed for using particular vehicles - regardless of whether the individual has actually driven the vehicle; Again lol

* Automatic overtime if mail volumes reach a certain level - regardless of how many ordinary working hours remain that day; As if :D

* If a delivery round is finished before the end of the paid shift, the employee expects to be able to go straight home. But if it takes 10 minutes longer two to three hours' over time is claimed; Yes we do go home once the job is done as our job is job and finish , rubbish claims about the overtime tho :condom:

* Set overtime level is claimed at Christmas, even if there is no need for any additional hours and no extra hours are worked; . There used to be set overtime at xmas , not any more tho

* An additional two hour payment on Easter Saturday - regardless of whether any work required; Rubbish :D

* No flexibility between different parts of the same sorting office - if an employee sorts letters for a particular postcode, they will not sort for the adjacent postcode, even though both activities are often in the same room; :rofl: What the fuck :S We sort all the mail as one lot

* Signing in and out for a shift on arrival - so that no record of actual hours worked exists; All hours worked are recorded

* Collection drivers expect overtime pay for doing collections outside usual route - even if it is done within usual working hours; We dont have that problem ?

* Overtime to cover for an absent colleague - a full day is claimed, even if only half day needed and worked; No the work is absorbed into our days hours

* Ban on any cross functional working, even of similar tasks under the same roof; Rubbish :D

* Additional meal and grace breaks as custom and practice Again rubbish , we get a 40 min break which we take before we go out on delivery

mrshifter

Jan 20, 2005
Dodge City
I always thought being a Postie was all wandering up garden paths and being met by frustrated housewives in loose fitting dressing gowns :p

Or is that milkmen?

Or have I been watching too many of Robin Asquith's 'Confessions...' films ;)

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
I always thought being a Postie was all wandering up garden paths and being met by frustrated housewives in loose fitting dressing gowns :p

Or is that milkmen?

Or have I been watching too many of Robin Asquith's 'Confessions...' films ;)

Haha adventures of a postman :condom:

Ive only had that happen to me once , and that was about 10 years ago , stood there in not very much :eek: Thing is i bloody knew her anyways :rofl:

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
What a complete load of bollocks :condom: :rofl:

Absolutely none of that goes on in the office i work at , maybe the odd overtime claim here and there but nothing as great as that , our manager is so strict on giving overtime out its near impossible to get it

At end of the day royal mail effectively want to give us a pay cut over the next 3/4 years , remove our door to door payments which we rely on to make our wages up and also remove our final salary pension . Plus they want to introduce flexi time where as you can be told no less than two hours before your starting time , oh today your at such an office or your doing such a job .. Hmmm no thanks id like to know what im doing day to day thankyouplease ..

We do not get paid for being on strike and yes we do still pay our union subs , i have lost around 800 pounds this year so far due to the strikes , money which i will never get back , even if we do get the pay rise

Dont believe everything you read in the papers :condom:
That's fur enough.

These practices came from Royal Mail themselves though, and the union hasn't come forward to deny them, so the average man in the street believes these practices are common place.

For the average joe these alledged practices paint the workers with the same brush as those in the 70's, i.e. a bit cheeky. The fate of those workers was decided by Maggie with her no nonsense approach and privatisation - which was actually popular with the average joe. Bad publicity like these practices and the strikes will lead for calls for the privatisation of Royal Mail - and then you are up shit creek without a paddle when it comes to working conditions.

Your union should go on the counter offensive and say that catagorically these practices don't exist, and then explicitly give the actual reasons for the strike, because public opinion is all important to government policy, if public opinion is against you the politicians will make calls to privatise. Labour won't at the minute because they've explicitly said so in their manifesto - although you can bet your arse it won't be in the next one - and the Conservatives won't give a solitary shit if they get in - so either way it's not looking good come the next election if public opinion is against you.

Currently Royal Mail loses 5.6p on every stamped letter - if this was a private Royal Mail making such losses then you would see a huge amount of changes, probably including no pay rises at all.

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
The calls for making RM private have been going on for a long time now ..

These practices are so out of date and im sure the union will retaliate to this and prove wrong , its just another publicity stunt int it .. :condom:

The reasons for the strike have already been in the press as far back as april :thumbsup:

They bang on about reducing costs to get a flexible workforce , which really means cheap foreign labour dont it :condom: So no i agree it dont look good at all :cops:

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
The calls for making RM private have been going on for a long time now ..

These practices are so out of date and im sure the union will retaliate to this and prove wrong , its just another publicity stunt int it .. :condom:

The reasons for the strike have already been in the press as far back as april :thumbsup:

They bang on about reducing costs to get a flexible workforce , which really means cheap foreign labour dont it :condom: So no i agree it dont look good at all :cops:
It's all part of the PR battle to sway public opinion. Royal Mail has obviously released these practises to the press during the strike which infers that's the reason you are striking (joe public has forgotten the other reasons back in April).

Of course the wildcat strikes don't help public opinion because they just smart with the general public of the unpopular strikes of the 70's - especially when the reason for the strikes would appear to the public to be the workers wanting to go home and still get paid (i.e. finishing when you finished your round).

At the moment your union isn't winning the PR battle (especially when they aren't even in unison with some workers it would appear).

I doubt they'll ever get foreign labour btw - that would be so hugely unpopular to the general public as to be untenable.