the joy of decks ITV1 thur 12.30 pm

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
BUMP!

I think you'll all hate me, but fuckit, what do I care, Pah. :p

Such negativity from you lot, OK if you don't like something fair enough, but to keep on slagging it at every oppertunity seems a bit OTT to me.

I've enjoyed watching this show, missed the first couple, but loved the rest, here's a write up I've done on another forum, far far away...

{1st post}

The Joy Of Decks

Anyone been watching this?

ep2%20CHOOSE4.jpg

(My dad has been taping it for me, as I'd forget it was on and I've been catching up with it each week when I've seen him, my dads cool like that)

The 23 short-listed nominees were chosen from 300 plus nominations - from Catapult in Cardiff to Groove Finder in Portsmouth, from Vinyl Freaks in Glasgow to Massive in Oxford - we asked over 120 record shops and industry influencers, from all over the UK and Ireland, to nominate the most innovative music makers in their local area. Each nominee had to answer a series of probing questions, provide a 30 to 60 minute mix CD or MiniDisc and shoot a 5-minute profile video.

By the time we reached Episode 1 of the television series the shortlist was whittled down to 8. And then, during the first Episode, our Mentors chose which 4 would go on to ‘The Joy of Decks’ Journey.

I've missed the first episode, but seen the rest so far, it's the last one next Thursday...

It's only on for around 25mins, but has been quite good, I didn't like the episode where they were each advised on what to wear, styling in DJ'ing is something I think you should develop yourself (or if like me you just don't bother, and wear any old shit - fuckit, it's the music that you spin that makes you)

The chosen 4 and their mentors are:

Anthea - Mr C
Clodagh - Sister Bliss
DM Cut - Roni Size
Ryan - Tom Middleton

In the last episode they were to play a set in a big club having already played out in smaller clubs in the UK and Ibiza, and each of them have also made their own tracks with the help of their mentors, Ryan & Tom Middleton's being the funniest and funkiest, as Middleton is insane and loves to record the swishing of leaves and any outdoor sounds he can capture with his trusty minidisc...

They are all good, although my money is on Clodagh, an Irish girl who, out of all of them has only been DJ'ing the shortest time (2 years) she is really good, her attention to detail is amazing, mixing is spot on and she has a great energy, also I noted a lot of jealously from her mentor Sister Bliss after completing her warm up set at the big club, Bliss announces "If I'd have come in and seen her DJ'ing I'd have wanted it to be someone else" and going on to say she is just in a warm up DJ slot, and should respect that. Bullshit, she was just miffed as Clodagh played a blinding set and played some of the tracks she was going to play in her set, she "tore it up big stylee" and Bliss couldn't accept that.

Also, why I think Clodagh will win it next week, along with her energy and love (genuine) for what she's doing, she is keen to try new things, using 3 decks (none of the others did this, not even her mentor!) and looping/using f/x units to help her mix.

Also for an ITV program, this is bloody good!

http://www.thejoyofdecks.tv/

--

{2nd post}

Well I saw the last one yesterday when I went to see me dad...

All the DJ's along with their mentors went to play a set each at Liverpool's club - Nation.

Their mentors warmed up for them, then they went on (I bet that felt odd for the mentors, having to warm up heh)

Then a panel of judges debated and decided upon 1 winner, no runner up, no BFH for the losers, which I thought was a bit shit, fancy just the one winner? Even the DMC Mixing Championships have runners up, who each get a small prize as way of thanks for getting to the finals.

Anyway, Ryan Shaw won it, and a bearded Tom Middleton looked ever so proud.

--

So what did the 4 DJ's have to say for themselves?

Anthea:

Things have already begun to happen for Anthea after the filming of the final.

"I've signed up with Dan and Che from Tasty and apparently Ministry are interested..."

Anthea's also doing production work with Soul Camp - "...the whole project has made me feel more like a DJ, people even recognise me on the street now."

We reckon Anthea's well on her way to making a name for herself and if you want to see more of her straight away she'll be playing Rescue meets Debbie Does at the Mansion (33 Portland Place, London) on Saturday December 13th.

And for those who need to know... the tracks Anthea played in the final were...

Mindset "Sonic Monsoon" Rekawa Sound
Meeks & Bondurant "Orbit" Chateau Rouge
Chace "Take My Time" DTPM
Zoo Brazil "Musique Unt Mustq" MFF
Mastik "South Tribal" Difference
Bastards at Work "Ruby" City Spirit
DJ Sensations "RPO Traxx" Pro Traxx
Dee Nasty Vs Playin 4 The City "Don't You" Battle
Jordan Fields "I Wanna Thank You" Mo Wax

She played what sounded like a good strong set, she did lack confidence, but it's understandable when you're nervous, you aren't always going to be on top form.

Clodagh:

Clodagh got a good luck email from Carl Cox himself the day before the final saying "If YOU have fun so will the crowd" and boy did she listen to that advice.

"Playing to a thousand people was mental and the crowd in Liverpool were great. Plus I had 50 mates up from London so it was fantastic and I was really pleased to get everybody dancing."

Although she says she's still getting over Sister Bliss' criticism during Episode 5, Clodagh says the project has helped her "toughen up". She's starting a music production course in January, so just you wait and see.

Clodagh asked that we thank a few people for her... so, thanks to James Zabiela ("such a nice guy") for teaching three decks mixing, Siya from Electric Beats for scratching techniques and Mr. C for being "so nice" on the night of the final. And, of course, Sister Bliss for picking her in the first place.

And, for those who need to know, Clodagh's tracks for the final were...

Beyonce "Craxy In Love" Sony
Wild Child "Renegade Master" Ultra
Fat Man Scoop "Be Faithful" Def Jam
50 Cent/Sneakers "Sugar In Da Club" (Pimps In Da Club Mix Bootleg)
David Guetta "Just A Little More" Virgin
Way Our West "Mother Fucker" Distinctive
Dave Armstrong "Release The Tension" (DJ Flex Mix) Eyescream
Clodagh Vs Sister Bliss "Oiche Mhaith" Joy Of Decks
Kosheen "Wasting My Time" (Jack Knife Lee Mix)BMG
The Sinners Present "Sad Girls" Size Records
Pirate "Leaving The Sun" Tsunami
Energy 53 "Cafe Del Mar" Lost Language

The girl has balls, class and a real 'fuck off attitude' she takes risks, ok her first mix wasn't good, but she quickly recovered and you could tell the crowd loved her! she should have won in my opinion, or at least come 2nd, but there was no 2nd place, bah.

DM Cut:

DM has been busy since the filming of the final - "Me and my vocalist have been back in the studio and I've been on the phone selling up the show like we did in Liverpool... I just want to keep playing out... I'd love to go back to Liverpool and Edinburgh and I wouldn't mind playing in Ireland or Brazil..."

Well if you can't make it to Brazil to see DM you can catch him tonight (Friday Dec 12th) playing Traffic at Rhythm Factory, Whitechapel Road E1 and on December 18th in Watford or on New Years' Day at Telepathy.

We're confident the D 'n' B scene will recognise how progressive DM's sound is and that his own particular brand of music will be coming to a jump-up near you soon.

And, for those of you who need to know, DM's tracks for the final were...

DM CUT "Intro" Dubplate
Unknown "What We Gonna" (Remix) V Recordings
London Electricity "Different Drums" Remix Hospital
DM CUT "Decade" Dubplate
Unknown "So Vain" Breakage
Mason "Ruff Rugged And Raw" White
Unknown "Ready To Ride" Dubplate
DM CUT "Different Minds" Dubplate
Nu:Tone "Spread Love" Remix Hospital
DM CUT & Roni Size Feat I-One "Feel This Way" Joy Of Decks

Can't say I was ever impressed with anything he did, I found myself cringing a few times where he was using an MC and Vocalist over his DJ'ing, also playing mostly his own stuff in his set I thought was a bit anal.

Ryan:

Well the lad from Halifax has taken the prize and quite literally pulled it out of the bag. He ripped up the floor with his set in Liverpool (tracks listed below) and now the hard work really begins...

"Me mind is just spinning. I'm chuffed to bits... to be a DJ and earn a living from it is mental and now I'm just looking forward to learning more on the tour."

Bridging transitions with re-edits and sampled loops he'd prepared in the studio with Tom, Ryan's final set included everything from hip-hop, house, D 'n' B and rock... "I want to do that all the time now. I played tracks that really meant something to me and now all I want to do is buy more records."

For those who really need to know, Ryan's selection for the final was...

De La Soul "Rollerskating Jam Named Saturday" Tommy Boy
Young MC "Know How" Fourth And Broadway
Madonna "Music" Warners
Green Velvet "La La Land" Parlophone
Daft Punk "Da Funk" Virgin
Chicken Lips "He Not In" Azuli
New Order "Blue Monday" Factory
Ryan Shaw and Tom Middleton "Ryan's World" Joy Of Decks
The Realm "Something For Your Mind Your Body And Your Soul" (Accapella) Label Unknown
Leftfield "Phat Planet" Hard Hands
DJ Zinc "Ready Or Not" White
Outkast "Hey Ya" BMG
Jet "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" Electra
Truby Trio "Universal Love" (Tiefschwarz Mix) Compost

So, really he won it as he played for the crowd, playing the most familiar tracks and classics! - that's cheating in my book, ok he's got tons of confidence in what he's doing, but it felt like he was a wolf in sheeps clothing...

--

Over and out :cool:

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
yeah the thing was thou, the program was that over dubbed that you didnt really get to hear any of the mixing being done.

i dont think in any of the programs you got to hear a record all the way throu

i would have preffered if it was just a static camera recording them djing so we could all hear really what they were like

it doesnt have to be fancy to be good

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
In an ideal world...

I agree to an extent, but this is ITV we're talking about, sadly they have to shove everything they have into a 25 minute slot.

I remember seeing the Hitman and Her from Blackpool when Mix Factory did a set at the club they were at, and it didn't show you *much* mixing, was funny to see XTC though, heh, he looked all serious (the typical DJ look) ;)

You'll only get solid mixing footage with things like the DMC Mixing Championships I'm afraid, it's just the way it is.

acestu

Sep 29, 2003
Outer Space Mon Capitan
DJ IDOL!

Just watchin it on ITV2 it's a bit like pop idol with DJ's instead of singers, I know which one i'd rather watch.....

Cheers
Acestu:crazy: as ever!

Attachments

• mrcpresentstoryanshaw1(1).jpg
    mrcpresentstoryanshaw1(1).jpg
    5 KB · Views: 104