The first ever record you actually went out & bought?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

zoom

Mar 26, 2005
........First ever dance tunes i got were.

The maxx - cocaine
Primal Scream - loaded
Anything by The Project on R&S.
Psycho Team - psycho...

-z.

Man Alive

Apr 30, 2004
www.lo-rain.com
Naughty_Raver said:
My mum got me that tape for Christmas when I was about 5, was it a red tape? I still have it, although I taped the network charts over it when I was about 8 :eyebrow:

One of the 1st records I can actually remember buying was I'd Rather Jack- The Reynolds Girls, ooops, and all the kylie and Jason shit, but I was only 10 then :S

I'd rather Jack - than Fleetwood Mac :thumbsup: Can't remember if the Shakey one was a red tape, just remember a snide track called 'Shooting Gallery' :)

In hindsight, I should try to forget it and pretend the first thing I bought was an obscure Kraftwerk track or something, but you can't deny your history - mine includes a very brief Heavy Metal stage age 10, a 'chart music' stage, before getting into Hip Hop in 87 and House in 88, thank the lord! :spin:

Soda Jules

Art Garfunkel - Bright Eyes. :cry: I think that must be right up there with the Rupert the Bear theme tune for coolest first buys.

First record I specifically bought for my first DJ gig (school disco) was 12" of Janet Jackson - When I Think Of You. Supposed to be a dance mix, but breaks down to nothing more than a woodpecker after about 3.5 minutes. :confused: Typical Shep Pettibone 80s remixing.

Naughty_Raver

Jun 25, 2005
London
www.fantazia.org.uk
zoomtang said:
My first single was the theme tune from RUPERT THE BEAR.

"rupert, rupert the bear. Everyone knows his name......."

When i -ahem- got a bit older, the first albums i bought were in a little record shop in Scarborough. I got :

Jethro Tull - aqualung
Led Zepplin - IV runes
Small Faces - Ogden's nut gone flake.

This was about 1982, shop owner give me a really good deal cos i went in with my mum & dad spending my birthday money :D

-zoom

My mum also bought my a Rupert bear song, by Paul McCartney, the frog song, I remember my dad letting me stay up to watch TOTP when that was no.1, and also Uptown girl, Billy Joel :D

Sasha

May 22, 2005
Monaco
groups.msn.com
First record ever bought was "Fame"...(always dreamt of being a dancer, still at it at the ripe old age of 32 although now I am the oldest one in the class!!!!)... we used to do star jumps off the stage in the school hall when they played it at the school disco.:D

silocybe

Jun 17, 2003
france
Soda Jules said:
Art Garfunkel - Bright Eyes. :cry: I think that must be right up there with the Rupert the Bear theme tune for coolest first buys.

Aye , i had that though it was bought for me as opposed to buying it , I remember me dad bought me one of those battery powered decks that you had a plastic microphone on , you pushed the little button on the mic and hey presto your voice could be heard over the top of the track. I'd probably say that bright eyes was the start of my record collection and ive still got it in me 7's box all scratched up to fuck.

grover

Jun 5, 2003
speaking of crap songs...... does anyone remember a tune called ben about a rat or something?
think it was wacko jacko who sang it..... would love to hear that again lol

nowthen

Nov 6, 2002
Stockport
First record i remember getting was that daft Doctor tune

' an your heart goes...bum-diddy-bum..diddy-bum. '

or somat like that:S

When I got a set of decks circa 91 I bought Tricky Disco an Dino Lenny - Cocaine on the same day from Eastern Block, never bothered buyin any more an when i couldn't master mixing in a week or so an got sick of hearing them 2 I sold the decks!

I kept the tunes, dunno what happened to em tho.

fred_funk

May 9, 2003
Landaaaaaan town
I have absolutely no idea what was the first tune that I bought....be that as a youngster or even when I stared buying house music.

How the f**k can you lot remember?

I can't remember what I did yesterday let alone over a period of years.

grover

Jun 5, 2003
i think this was the first album i bought:|
Geraldine.jpg

fred_funk

May 9, 2003
Landaaaaaan town
grover said:
i think this was the first album i bought:|
Geraldine.jpg

This is a much better game. My memory is hazy, but here one of my first album purchases...

(Sorry, just realised I loaded up a bitmap first time - no need really)

Attachments

• Vinyl_Devastatin Dave.JPG
    Vinyl_Devastatin Dave.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 55

fred_funk

May 9, 2003
Landaaaaaan town
grover said:
hehe that album cover site is great isnt it:thumbsup:
Yes, sorry if you've seen a few of them already - a mate sent me a bundle of these earlier on in the week.

Here's my absolute favourite...

BTW "Por primera Vez" means "for the first time" in Spanish. It's just not right! Whoever allowed this to make it as a vinyl cover should get the jail.

Attachments

• Vinyl_Por Primera Vez.JPG
    Vinyl_Por Primera Vez.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 53