Strings of Life ( which mix ? )

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

jonblack

Aug 21, 2003
Birmingham
I just want the classic original mix, what's it called ?
and what's the 89 mix about ?

After searching a few 2nd hand shops I tried HMV for bootlegs but the rack was empty. I asked a guy who worked in the Vinyl section and he tried to sell me the new vocal version :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

grover

Jun 5, 2003
flam boy ant mix all the way never really hit uk till 88 but it was a pleasure to hear it for the first time in the hacienda and watching people run up to the dj box with "what the fuck is this" faces on them :D ( i was one lol)

jonblack

Aug 21, 2003
Birmingham
Thanks all. Guess I'll go for the original and 89 - then buy some of the mixes when I can afford em :(

Juans Magic + Flam Boy Ant sound interesting. Someone on Disogs was talkin about the 'unreleased mix' as well ? ? :S

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
Don't pay over the odds for this! If you're not fussy about owning a proper original you should be able to get one of the transmat classic copies for £6 or so, they are on constant repress... this includes the flam-boy-ant mix.

grover

Jun 5, 2003
i maybe wrong(soz but ive got quite a few diff mixes of strings of life on diff lables)
but i'm sure the "unrealeased" version that people talk about is the instrumental that came out on transmat/buzz in 92
i can't find my 89 version to confirm but i'm sure the 89 one has a beat and the 92 release has no beat
the 92 release sounds wicked with a breakbeat behind it.....here's a clip(minus the breakbeat lol )

Attachments

• mayday.mp3
    238.5 KB · Views: 49

Fallout

Nov 29, 2004
For me it's usually the second one on the original pressing http://www.discogs.com/release/4675

The Flam-boy-ant mix is equally brilliant.

All I know is it's not the one they've just released with Kathy Brown singing over the top of Danny Krivit's Soul Central remix. "Stronger on my own" they've called it - but that to me is virtually as bad as treading in dog shite on the beach barefooted!

However - in the same breath - I've been playing the Danny Krivit remix of Strings out since I got a promo from Whistle Bump of it back at the start of last summer, and not only do I think he's done a top job - but this tune works VERY well!

There have been a lot of rehashes and bootlegs over the years - the Ashley Beedle/10th Planet 'Strings of Life' from 2001 is pretty good. And I've go a break beat tune called Stringz - Bring The Drama which samples SOL - you can get a copy/or hear it at http://marksclassics.co.uk/fulldetails.asp?id=25868

Plank 15 also did a version of Stings' and Pete Heller, Soul Mekanik, Redanka and Aztec Mystic all did remixes of it.

There's another one I've got which is called Strings Ain't What They Used To Be.

I've also got a booty which has the Soul Central/Krivit version of Strings with Kylie/Slow over it - and this tears the place apart!

Whatever - the original is still my favourite - since the first time it tore my head apart at Shoom - I have never tired of this tune - and never will.

The Kathy Brown one is sure to bring the tune to the ears of a new generation, and keep Derrick May's amazing music alive a kicking for a good while longer.

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
Fallout said:
There have been a lot of rehashes and bootlegs over the years - the Ashley Beedle/10th Planet 'Strings of Life' from 2001 is pretty good.

I liked that one although it seemed to get slated by most people. Suppose any remake of a tune like strings is gonna get slagged off though. Incidentally the 10th planet one was from 1995, not 2001.

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
I may have posted this before but there was a version out which had vocals over the top that included

'Trying to rule my heart, trying to rule my heart
Trying to................and all the things that you might break me
Say yeah, say yeah, say yeah, say yeah'

Any idea which mix this one was? 91/2 ish I think.

I love the Danny Krivit one, its a bobby dazzler.

Dj M Jaxx

Oct 12, 2001
YORK UK
www.myspace.com
If your after the best original version of strings on strings, you wanna get a copy of Derick Mays - Innovations - box set

usualy goes for around £20....and has a colection of 5 12" tunes mixes

this was produced in 87 when he origanaly did the sais tune

Jaxxy :thumbsup: