Storing Vinyl in a Garage

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
How do , not posted for a while on here:thumbsup:

Due to circumstances Im having to move my vinyl, decks etc into the garage for space.

Anyone any experience of doing this? Im looking at the 35L XL Really Useful plastic boxes plus silica gel to make sure there are no moisture issues. The boxes are pricey so it may mean I have to put some in cardboard boxes.

Any help appreciated

ComaProject

Oct 24, 2010
Moisture is a killer (and so are mice!), so the plastic boxes are imho a must. If you do use cardboard.. make sure they are put on shelves.

Also, don't load the boxes too tightly.. but still make sure the records are upright. And if you have any tunes that are sealed, take off the shrink wrap... as that could cause your records to warp over time.

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Vinyl should be ok but sleeve will become screwed prety quickly.

Over the summer months watch temps and over the winter I would make sure there is plenty of ventilation and leave a heater with a frost therm in there. If you can seal the boxes then this would be best as it will keep the moisture out.

Security would be my other concern. Maybe hire one of the lock ups from ez store etc?

Pity your miles away as my parents have a room above their garage where me and my brother store spare records, is secure, dry and heated so perfect.

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Thanks lads. Cheers for the offer siman, but I couldnt put them into storage, cant afford it and I'll want to be out there as much as I can to give them a spin from time to time.

After consideration it looks like Im definitely going to take the hit and get the plastic boxes, can be used again if I ever move them back in the house. They'll be stored off the ground with silica gel in the boxes, plus I'll be setting mini air con unit that will be timed, so thats covered.

Its relatively cool, dry and clean in the garage anyway so heat shouldnt really be a problem. I'll be doing the same with a heater for the winter.:)

There is an alarm on the garage as well as decent locks so security should be fine. Ive marked all the records with a security pen that shows up in UV light just in case.

The decks are in flight cases and I'll be covering the electronics with a dust proof sheet.

Not sure the neighbours would appreciate me pinching the recycle boxes heheh, I'd need the whole estate!:D

:thumbsup: