Ripping Software, Adobe Audtion, Audacity & others....

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Just wondering what people are using to rip their tapes etc

I use Adobe Audition 3 which I got for free with the key code from the adobe site when they gave it out for free yrs ago by mistake really, I also
use Audacity.

I know Audition 3 is very old software but it seems to do the job, it takes a while to set up at first and a little while to suss out all the features, but I often wonder what the new version is like (is anyone using it?) the new one is so expensive, hence I've never tried it just incase I like it ...

Obviously Audacity is a free proggy and its quite easy to use once you get used to it, but I have always found it a bit slow & clunky compared to Audition 3.
I like how easy the noise reduction is to use in Audacity compared to Audition, but to be honest its very rare these days that I use the hiss reduction or noise reduction
in either proggy.
When I first started ripping tapes I used to spend hrs trying to get the sets really clean, has people were always asking for hiss free, but it can turn into a biy of a merry go round,
and imo it can really ruin the sound, these days I like to keep the recording has true has possible, the only time I do use hiss or noise reduction is if the tape is really bad..
Obviously the sound quality can have many factors, EG you set up, the age of the tape, tape heads being clean and so on, I always make sure my mouse is unplugged, my internet is turned off, and make sure my power cables are not touching, all of which can create noise on the recording.

Years ago I used to use Soundforge which was given to me by a mate, I found it to be very glitchy and it would crash for no apparent reason or it would have big sound drop outs
throughout the set, at first I thought it was my pc that I was using at the time, so I checked it on a couple of other pcs with higher specs and it was exactly the same, thats were I ended up trying Adobe, which at the time needed a higher spec Soundforge, tbh the once I had set up Adobe it ran perfect so soundforge went in the bin, I have no idea what Soundforge is like these days...

I often wonder which is the better one now because my copy of Audition is so old they dont do any updates for it other than bringing out new software.

Anyway it would be good to hear what other people are using (y)

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
I have audacity, Adobe audition CS6 and serato.

I mainly use Adobe for editing (clipping, normalising, click eliminating etc)

I used to have audition 3 too. Nice program, think it used to be called cool edit pro
Yes Dan it used to be called Cool Edit Pro until Adobe brought them out

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
I suppose it depends on what you get used to.

Back in what seems another life, Goldwave was the thing....... but then Cool Edit came along and I found that better.

As you say, this morphed into Adobe Audition and it sadly lost some of the key things I used to use Cool Edit for, unless I just don't know how to do it in the newer versions. The main one was that in Cool Edit you could press (I think) shift and a right arrow and it would auto-find the next kick or spike. That was a godsend for looping things in my view. I don't think you can do it any more.

But I got used to Audition. The "Normalise to -0.1" is handy, the various "favourite" tools like "autoheal" over blips and pops is neat, nose reduction detection to sample and removal of that spectrum from the rest of the file, etc are efficient - as are the "batch convert" utilities. You can set up various things, apply some tools, specify conversion rates, etc, and, like I did, convert scores of "wav" format files to FLAC whilst I go out and get the shopping in.

Audacity is okay, it gets a lot of jobs done for next to nothing, if not nothing, but despite trying it for a while, my "go to" is always Audition.

Reactions: chinatownswhite

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
I suppose it depends on what you get used to.

Back in what seems another life, Goldwave was the thing....... but then Cool Edit came along and I found that better.

As you say, this morphed into Adobe Audition and it sadly lost some of the key things I used to use Cool Edit for, unless I just don't know how to do it in the newer versions. The main one was that in Cool Edit you could press (I think) shift and a right arrow and it would auto-find the next kick or spike. That was a godsend for looping things in my view. I don't think you can do it any more.

But I got used to Audition. The "Normalise to -0.1" is handy, the various "favourite" tools like "autoheal" over blips and pops is neat, nose reduction detection to sample and removal of that spectrum from the rest of the file, etc are efficient - as are the "batch convert" utilities. You can set up various things, apply some tools, specify conversion rates, etc, and, like I did, convert scores of "wav" format files to FLAC whilst I go out and get the shopping in.

Audacity is okay, it gets a lot of jobs done for next to nothing, if not nothing, but despite trying it for a while, my "go to" is always Audition.
One thing I have noticed this yr is everytime windows gets an update I have to go into Adobe & re - set up my recording settings, it looses its recording channel, and it also changes the recordings to mono :mad: not sure why it does that

etech

Apr 25, 2006
Sunny side of Birmingham
I'm ripping my vinyl straight into a Tascam DA-3000. You can record high-res audio up to DSD 5.6MHz or PCM 192KHz/24-bit. I'll record at DSD 5.6MHz and then convert to 192/24 WAV for editing in Audition, and keep the DSD file as an archive. Izotope RX8 Standard has a few more features for cleaning up audio than Audition. Planning on getting it next time they have a sale on. Best investment/s I've made regards ripping vinyl is buying ultrasonic and Loricraft record cleaning machines and making sure the record is spotlessly clean before ripping. Saves a lot of time editing out pops and clicks.

Reactions: chinatownswhite

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
I'm ripping my vinyl straight into a Tascam DA-3000. You can record high-res audio up to DSD 5.6MHz or PCM 192KHz/24-bit. I'll record at DSD 5.6MHz and then convert to 192/24 WAV for editing in Audition, and keep the DSD file as an archive. Izotope RX8 Standard has a few more features for cleaning up audio than Audition. Planning on getting it next time they have a sale on. Best investment/s I've made regards ripping vinyl is buying ultrasonic and Loricraft record cleaning machines and making sure the record is spotlessly clean before ripping. Saves a lot of time editing out pops and clicks.
Regards cleaning, I brought a massive collection off a old mate (even found some of my own tracks that I had lent him & never got bk lol) loads of the tracks had been in his loft, a lot of dust and grit had got into the sleeves, you could almost hear the tracks being scrathed has I pulled them out the sleeves, so I brought one of those Disco Antistat cleaners the first gen one, I know its very basic, but I was very happy with what it did for such a basic machine, very time consuming though etc..
It did bring the vinyl up really nice, I then brought all new inner sleeves...

Obviously I know it wont have done such a good job has some of high end cleaners, but it made the unplayable playable.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I missed this post probably was started when I was away from the forum for a few months

Audacity is crap in my opinion it crashes all the time it just a nightmare but for free it get's the job done

I use Adobe Audition CS6 what is very hard to configure but once you have it configured correctly it is a lovely program to record from.

I personally think it is a lot nicer program to use than Audacity and I always fine it makes slight better recording than Audacity.

The one thing Audacity has got going for it, it is free but full of bugs, but to be honest I have found it to be a horrendous it crashes all the time take ages to load save files to your computer when you have recorded stuff, where's Adobe Audition does it in seconds and you can use the plugins from ozone what takes Auditions to another level.

Last edited: