Proper Gutted - advice needed

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

glazzy

Jan 4, 2002
Do you have a reciept for the engine and fitting with the reciepts that came with the car?

If you do then it should be under warranty still and you may be able to get it sorted that way.

failing that give me his addy and ill go round there and petrol bomb the bastard for you :mad: for free.........!!!!

:) there's a plan. You could get a load of y' mates together, get ballied up and throw him into the back of a van and torture him till he agrees to sort something out.

jayne x

I'd obvoiusly try, police....but they're not much help are they? Yeh and go to citizens advise, but if all else fails, a good Key scratch all over his lovely car should do the trick. It costs a fortune to repair....somwhere near ur £500. :|

OR Get some imulsion and chuck it on his car...even better road paint....not ever getting that shit off!!! I really would aswell the cuntish weasal deserves it....you could probably pay someone to do it.....if ur over the right side of the law urself.

ruffers

VIP Silver Member
Bugger

My thoughts -

Get a second opinion from another garage.

Did you get a receipt, what does it say? (Sold as seen etc)
I don't think ebay will be any help as you didn't buy the car through ebay...

Might be worth getting a vehicle check from a mechanic on the whole car to establish it's proper condition, which could help if you go the following

This is from http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/goods-service/motor/fs_b02.shtml#4

"You have fewer legal rights if you buy privately. The car must be as described, but the other rules don't apply. If a private seller lies about the condition of a car, you can sue for your losses - if you can find the seller." Although how you can prove someone lied about the condition rather than just didn't know something is difficult.

So we know where the seller is, but how you'd actually go about this "suing" I don't know, try the CAB like someone said. That site does establish that you have some right to recompense though.

Other thoughts -
The engine; it appears to have been fitted less than 10K miles ago. I'm asuming you got all the paperwork for the car? Check to see if there's a receipt for the engine fitting in there, there may be some guarantee/warranty on that. Personally I'd ring the engine place first and not tell them who you are with a dummy enquiry to establish their warranty policy.

How did you pay? If by paypal even though it wasn't through the auction there may be some cover in there.

The guy has sold a few cars through ebay before reading his feedback so he knows the score, I'd go back reasonable not all guns blazing but that's me.

I'll not include the hindsight comment here ;)

tag

Mar 11, 2004
Byzantine period
Goin off the script the cars is descibed a s havin major engine work done so he has not listed the item correctly,even though you did not purchase through e-bay he had still give false description of car.Do you have e-mails from him offering you the car?If so that should give you something to go off.

good luck mate ,hope everything works out,keep us posted

tag:thumbsup:

Str33tb0y

Sep 14, 2005
this is not a great deal of help, but a similar thing happened to me, i bought a uncle Festa as me first car, and it turns out it had a been in a huge accident, my fault should have checked before hand, but the guy was the same wiv me, sold it to me as if some old lady had been looking after it since she bought it new etc.

I ended up getting one of my mates to make it go alrite for as long as it could without spending in to much moneh on it and sold it to two Asian blokes from Luton for the same as I payed for it :thumbsup:

was lucky i guess

hope u get it sorted bruv, that well sux, some peeps just have no morals wotsoever :(

Foookin gutted for yer Binbag fella.... can't offer much advise really other than agree with persuing it thru small claims court but it takes time :(

Thoughts go out to you n yer missus - was a real cnuts tricks that n no mistake... any half decent seller would try n help or come to some arrangement with you... seems as soon as he had yer dosh he couldn't give a flyin one...:mad: :naughty:

Vickles

Jan 21, 2005
Butty's pub :D
The lousy fucker

old_skool_daze said:
Youl should aways take a mechanic with you to give a car a once over.

Bloody ell, kick a man while he's down why don't ya :naughty: just what the guy needed to hear :condom:

Really sorry to hear this pal, right near christmas as well the b@stard :mad: :mad:

Can't really offer any advice, only repeat what others have said.

I'd deffo give Citizens Advice a shot, it's false advertisement :mad: :naughty:

Just found this piece of useful information.

http://www.hants.gov.uk/regulatory/advice/buycars.html

Snippet from website said:
Buying from a private seller
You do not have as many legal rights when you buy from a private individual. A private seller only has to describe the car correctly. He is not responsible for faults.

What if the car is faulty?
You have 2 options to choose from. Both of these options give you 6 years to start a legal claim under the Sale of Goods Act.

If you have only had the car a short time (usually only a week or so), you may be entitled to reject the car and claim a refund.

- You will need to stop using the car at once and contact the seller to discuss the matter.
- Make it clear to the seller that you wish to reject the car.
- Confirm your complaint in writing. Keep a copy and get a certificate of posting from the post office.
- You are entitled to have your traded-in car returned to you if it is still available, or to have the full value allowed on it, if it has been disposed of.

If you tell the trader too late to get your money back you can still insist on compensation for 'loss of value'. This will normally be the cost of repairing the car. In practice this may mean that the trader will carry out the repair.

- The repair should be carried out within a reasonable length of time.
- If they are not able to do this, you may be entitled to compensation such as the hire of a car.
- If you are not happy with the repair, inform the trader, in writing, that you will be asking them to pay for the work to be done elsewhere.
- If the repair adds to the value of the car, the trader may be able to ask you to make a contribution to the cost.

It is for you to prove the car is defective with this option.

Since 31 March 2003 the law gives you another option if you purchase a car after this date. You can request a repair or replacement. If the car cannot be repaired or replaced or this is considered too costly, taking into account the type of fault, you have the right to some or all of your money back. Within the first six months, it is for the trader to show the car was not faulty when purchased.

The car only becomes yours when it is delivered and not before.

You can rely on public statements made by the trader or the manufacturer that influence your purchase, e.g. information in adverts, leaflets or on the internet.

Hope this helps :thumbsup: