Please don't touch the pitch

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
1 exeption to the rule for me has always been Mariah Carey - Someday +8 all the time as it's so slow to start with.

Agreed though that the majority of tunes sound worse pitched up, thats why I really loved hearing Alister Whitehead at hazy, as he played them virtually all at their original tempo's :D :king:

lastnightadj

Jun 16, 2002
Bournemouth/Amsterdam
I rarely pitch things up above a +2/3 - theres no need!

I like the slower 110/115 tunes such as Tramp and Mr Luthero to sound chunky at the correct tempo rather than chipmunked up

In fact I'm more likely to slow things down eg Hi NRG records at -8 or 33+8 :thumbsup:

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Bit of a tought one this as i have quite a random collection as i like a lot of diff dance styles i always seem to think they will go with anything so i usualy end up buying it and then realising my pitch range is quite large!

Im still gutted with my MC TAD - Party Time vinyl as its just far too slow for my sets,

Recently ive been mixing choonz like:

Booka Shade - Double Identity with choonz like Spin Up - Come Sunday

just cause i like them both but i gotta understand that sometime u really cant mix anything wiv anything unless u people think otherwise!!!

Anyway i try not 2 push the pitch up too much +4 is about as far as i wanna go but some choonz do need a little higher but i suppose that comes from my Happy Hardcore roots!!!

Silk's

:thumbsup:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
spiely said:
In your opinion what tune/s should NEVER be pitched up:|

A starter for ten - G&V Jay - Gonna Get The Boy. Nooooooooooooooooooo, please leave it lol:)

lol, IMO that tune should NEVER touch the deck, never mind being pitched up or not. That bit when the vocal goes out of time just makes we wanna puke. :hurl:

Dilemma - In Spirit sounds mint at normal speed

Last edited:

bucky

... didn't Matt Bell change the deck itself when playing the Zone? I've got a fair few early Zone tapes where everything is royally pitched up - some of it sounded good and I rated him back then for the way he worked some of the those records. Creative stuff. It was weird hearing something in Legends then up the M6 to hear the same record more up tempo.

OR have I got this totally wrong.

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
ilovepiano said:
lol, IMO that tune should NEVER touch the deck, never mind being pitched up or not. That bit when the vocal goes out of time just makes we wanna puke. :hurl:

That bit doesn't bother me, its the wacky "oh no I've dropped my rizzla papers over the keyboard let me find them quick" bit of out of tune piano later on that just makes me think what the fuck was the need for THAT?!

ilovepiano said:
lol, IMO that tune should NEVER touch the deck

I like that better though as hate that tune anyway lol :D

fred_funk

May 9, 2003
Landaaaaaan town
Konspiracy said:
If we're hijacking the post and saying tunes that need pitching up, how about every New Beat Tune ever :D
I'll second that motion.

Somebody sould do a scientific study of the average speed of records that came out of Belgium over a period of years.

- New Beat was a little too slow
- They had it just about right in about 1991 - see R&S releases for that year as an example.
- They started to go a bit Pete Tong by about 1995.

Slightly off track - I like stumbling across tunes that you are not sure whether or not they should be played at 33 or 45. My example for that is St. Melody - Qtopia (http://www.discogs.com/release/371322). I got a hold of the white label that didn't give too much information (i.e. no mention of 33 or 45). I did a chilled tape whilst using the tune at 33 only to find out years later that it should be at 45!

E

easty

Never mind pitched up records, the thing that gets me is pitched up decks. Whats all them about. The ones in the phoenix were mad, 1st tune I ever played on em upstairs was got to keep the fires burning. Put in on pretty pitched up as it's a bit slow for a hardcore tune then once it had started I realised pitching it up was a bit of a mistake as it was now very fast:$
Not a good way to start LOL

Wezza

Apr 21, 2005
Nearer Than You Think .....
bucky said:
... didn't Matt Bell change the deck itself when playing the Zone? I've got a fair few early Zone tapes where everything is royally pitched up - some of it sounded good and I rated him back then for the way he worked some of the those records. Creative stuff. It was weird hearing something in Legends then up the M6 to hear the same record more up tempo.

OR have I got this totally wrong.

yes your totally right Matt bell did play every thing speed ed up to + 4 i think all the zone tunes were faster than down here .

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
easty said:
Never mind pitched up records, the thing that gets me is pitched up decks. Whats all them about. The ones in the phoenix were mad, 1st tune I ever played on em upstairs was got to keep the fires burning. Put in on pretty pitched up as it's a bit slow for a hardcore tune then once it had started I realised pitching it up was a bit of a mistake as it was now very fast:$
Not a good way to start LOL

Did you not check in ur head phones ??

silocybe

Jun 17, 2003
france
Every time ive heard Mental cube "q" on mix tapes the dj has pitched it up way way too much....im not saying leave it alone , just dont over do it or it ruins the whole vibe...there again it can create a new one , anyway imo dont go pitch crazy