Old Skool Club Nights

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

kitch89

Apr 4, 2006
Hertfordshire
Hi,
I dont often post on here but need a bit of advice if anyone can help. I used to go out often in the late 80s and early to mid 90s but have since got married, had kids and generally got sensible. I am getting a major craving to have a night out somewhere and listen to some quality music and get wasted again ! Is there anywhere around the London area where I could go and hear old music ie proper house, balearic or progressive (not hardcore or drum and bass) and not feel like im in a youth club or not stand out as an old bastard (im 39) ?
any help much appreciated

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
Sensible, smenshible! pah! Cant help ya on the London party scene,)altho I did do Camden Palace for my 21st :fekked:) but you may as well get yer ass up ere, they say its grim up North, we know different ;)

And as for feeling like yer in a youth club, dont feel so concious :D

Not digging this at you kitch but if you can answer then mint, but how come some self proclaimed old timers seem to put an age limit on to what is getting listened to?

Im 25 and missed it all the first time round, but I love the music all the same. Would of loved to be there first hand and heard them tunes for the first time, it dont bother me what age the ppl are in the club, so long as they are getting it, and loving it, i know some dont, but some who are just getting to know this scene are proper loving it and want to learn more, respect it so to speak.

At the end of the day, imo music is a feeling, and there is no age limit to what and how you feel.

And if all else fails, if ya cant beat em, join em ;) Never know you may be able to show em a thing or two :D

kitch89

Apr 4, 2006
Hertfordshire
Hi Betty, whereabout is up here ?
I can answer your question, I said a time because that is the music that I first got into the scene with and enjoyed for many years and still do. If I go out I would be looking to remenice on the old days rather than experience something new. I had some dodgy nights out years ago where the music was bad or the wrong type, so if I was gonna do it again I would like to know there's a good chance im going to like what i hear. Does that make sense ?

Art Awreet

Jan 12, 2007
London
Posted something similar about 3 months ago, being from up north. Would love to go to a 'back to 88-91/92' night in London where the main tunes are Italian/Belgian/US/UK House/early techno/balearic

Funnily enough I was also talking about this with a mate of mine last week who also lives in London and used to DJ at Legends when it first started in 1990

What you are looking for does not exist as far as I'm aware in London/The South, though some guys on here run occasional acid house one-offs. Perhaps they'll do one in central London?????

Part of the problem is that rave clubs playing house/techno rather than jungle had died out long before (1990?) in London, even when I came as early as 92'. It was already solid moody jungle/early drum/bass unless you went to a more 'dress-up' club like Gardening Club, Milk Bar, Pushka, Sign of the Times etc (i.e. ran by people who were raving in 88' and just got a bit more mature I suppose).

Old Skool nights (bar the occasional drum&bass/jungle 'back to 95's', which I would avoid at all costs) seem to be something that has been purposely avoided in London. I think this is due to the much stronger links between House music and fashion, rather than say indie or rock where it is common for those clubs to play almost majority older classics. You hardly ever hear older tunes in house clubs. I used to play old skool early and last sets at Uni in London back in 94/95 and would never play it in between, as it would have been frowned upon even then as 'living in the past'(even though indie gets away with it)

My gripe with modern-day house clubs is that they should perhaps lighten up a bit and play more classics, like the other music genre clubs, or even run occasional oldskool nights..............

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
Funnily enough I was also talking about this with a mate of mine last week who also lives in London and used to DJ at Legends when it first started in 1990..............

Guess that would be Richard Garvin then???? :confused:

Rich made a major contribution in shaping the Legends sound in 1990 by playing all the downtempo and Balearic stuff early on and that's what helped cement the club's reputation in the North West, as pretty well no other club was doing it like Legends. It still brings a smile to my face to think about the whole club rocking to a bunch of tunes which were less than 105bpm. Superb stuff.

Even now, some of those tunes are more sought-after than any of the big room classics of the time, and some of them haven't even been ID'd yet!

It's a pity that Kitch missed the Legends reunions - I'm pretty sure that they would have been exactly what he was after....

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
The thing with London is it has 2 types of people, those pushing to be on the crest of the next big thing (either creative types or the dreaded trendies) and then a load of people who were too posh to experience club/dance culture, whose idea of a dj is someone dropping, Robbie, Kylie and all sorts of other unmentionable shite.

Me and Danny have put on a couple of nights late last year that went well, but were only small, but we both like new music as well, so it turned out being a mixture of old and new. We're hoping to do some more this year, although Dan's djing career is really taking off now and he's got to focus a bit more on that. But if you are interest give me a shout (or we are on facebook Yeke Yeke Appreciation Society) and come along to the next thing we do.

The other thing is (and I'll sound like an old fart here, but fuck it its true) is that the kids (18-25 and maybe a little bit older) are way more self conscious about having a good time than the acid house generation. They are much more concerned with looking cool, and so the atmosphere at most events just isn't the same as what we experienced at Legends, or anywhere else 88-95. The key to enjoying yourself then has to be the music. I'm probably more into music now than I ever have been, and that keeps the interest going. I didn't feel old in Pacha Ibiza this year, and although a trip to the End last year made me feel a bit wrinkly, it was great anyway.

I used to play football with Richard Garvin when I was about 8 or 9 on Belvoir field in Warrington..........phones:

Art Awreet

Jan 12, 2007
London
Guess that would be Richard Garvin then???? :confused:

Rich made a major contribution in shaping the Legends sound in 1990 by playing all the downtempo and Balearic stuff early on and that's what helped cement the club's reputation in the North West, as pretty well no other club was doing it like Legends. It still brings a smile to my face to think about the whole club rocking to a bunch of tunes which were less than 105bpm. Superb stuff.

Even now, some of those tunes are more sought-after than any of the big room classics of the time, and some of them haven't even been ID'd yet!

It's a pity that Kitch missed the Legends reunions - I'm pretty sure that they would have been exactly what he was after....

Yes it is Rich Garvin! Will pass on the comments as meeting up with him later for a few beers. Am sure he'll be made up!

Going back to the original thread - I think it is there are parallels here between oldskool house and Northern Soul (which still holds decent occasional one-offs in London, attracting both older and younger folk)

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Yes it is Rich Garvin! Will pass on the comments as meeting up with him later for a few beers. Am sure he'll be made up!

Going back to the original thread - I think it is there are parallels here between oldskool house and Northern Soul (which still holds decent occasional one-offs in London, attracting both older and younger folk)

Let me know if you hear of a good Northern Soul Night. I know the Jazz Cafe does one, but it sunday nights, so not good for me.

Does Rich still DJ Art?

Art Awreet

Jan 12, 2007
London
Let me know if you hear of a good Northern Soul Night. I know the Jazz Cafe does one, but it sunday nights, so not good for me.

Does Rich still DJ Art?

Hi Ed,

Sorry for not responding sooner - not been on here for a few days

Yes will let you know - let me know if you here of any too

Rich doesn't DJ regular anymore, though I'm sure he'd be up for a one-off here and there! He's still defo got his tunes anyway!

To answer AdamW - I'm sure he'd be up for I'ding some tunes. I'll try and get him to join this site......

daygo

Jan 31, 2006
brighton
stores.ebay.co.uk
A few of mates put this do on in Brighton last month:

Name: Balearic Jukebox presents 'Come Together'
Type: Music - Dance
Description: New Monthly Club Night With A Difference!

3 Floors of 'Music To Make You Feel Good'

White Room - 'What Is Balearic?' - Hosted By The Balearic Brothers (Brighton) - An eclectic musical jukebox from Primal Scream to Reverso 68 via The Rolling Stones, Bocca Juniors, The Cure, A Man Called Adam, Grace Jones, Stone Roses, Andrew Weatherall and Talking Heads.....

Middle Room - Not Forgotten - DJ's Nigel Dawson (Renaissance), Enzo (Plastic Fantastic, Bedrock, Pacha, Ibiza) Ben Cherrill (Balearic Jukebox) - Think....Italian House, Guerilla Records, Leftfield, Fluke, Northern Exposure, Flying Records, Sasha, Full Circle and smiley happy people !

Basement - The Future - DJ Demi (SOS, ARTdaMISS Records) Plus Tim Sneath (Sonic Safari) - The hottest cutting-edge underground house DJ's every month

Raise Your Hands If You Understand !

The problem? Everyones got kids now or they're in rehab!:crazy:

geeselad

May 25, 2007
Hi,
I dont often post on here but need a bit of advice if anyone can help. I used to go out often in the late 80s and early to mid 90s but have since got married, had kids and generally got sensible. I am getting a major craving to have a night out somewhere and listen to some quality music and get wasted again ! Is there anywhere around the London area where I could go and hear old music ie proper house, balearic or progressive (not hardcore or drum and bass) and not feel like im in a youth club or not stand out as an old bastard (im 39) ?
any help much appreciated

You took the word right outta my mouth man, your not alone, are we weird, shoudnt wqe be golfijng with our mate?

Art Awreet

Jan 12, 2007
London
I note that some posters on here (e.g. Cutter) are involved in multi-room old skool nights in London, but the main problem for me is that the Jungle/drum&bass dominates and the oldskool house is always tucked away in a smaller room.

Although oldskool house/techno is my thing, I also love a bit of decent oldskool hardcore (e.g. Jem 77's 'Out of Time' and MK13's 'Sensory Deception remix') as long as it isn't too fast and had the techno beat under it, but I have never particularly liked Jungle/drum&bass (bar one or two well-made tunes e.g. Phuture Assassins 'Future Sound', plus most tunes by Manix, Blame, and 2 Bad Mice), the daft sped up 'baby noise' singing and the bad attitude that it seemed to have with it.

To me, by end of end 92', Jungle/drum&bass was a completely different scene, which I had no interest in

Not a big fan of multi-room do's due to the Jungle/drum&bass involvement and attitude, but perhaps Cutter etc might put on a few one-off dedicated oldskool house/techno nights??? Sure some folk on here might be interested

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh

Gav

Feb 6, 2004
London
i think the interest in london is there, its just finding it thats all. A girl I know who is turning 30 this year is having a party and the theme is oldskool, and so many people I know are champing at the bit for this night...me and a mate are gonna play all night, and I'm gonna maybe gauge interest from the crowd in relation to putting a one off night on later in the year......I have never had any difficulty in meeting people who would be up for going out to an oldskool night down here, but I guess its like anything, if people believe the interest isn't there then nobody bothers.......if anything comes off I'll give all the London OSA bods a heads up! :thumbsup:

kitch89

Apr 4, 2006
Hertfordshire
Now this looks cool, the white room and the middle room, is this on every month ?

White Room - 'What Is Balearic?' - Hosted By The Balearic Brothers (Brighton) - An eclectic musical jukebox from Primal Scream to Reverso 68 via The Rolling Stones, Bocca Juniors, The Cure, A Man Called Adam, Grace Jones, Stone Roses, Andrew Weatherall and Talking Heads.....

Middle Room - Not Forgotten - DJ's Nigel Dawson (Renaissance), Enzo (Plastic Fantastic, Bedrock, Pacha, Ibiza) Ben Cherrill (Balearic Jukebox) - Think....Italian House, Guerilla Records, Leftfield, Fluke, Northern Exposure, Flying Records, Sasha, Full Circle and smiley happy people !

Basement - The Future - DJ Demi (SOS, ARTdaMISS Records) Plus Tim Sneath (Sonic Safari) - The hottest cutting-edge underground house DJ's every month

A few of mates put this do on in Brighton last month:

Name: Balearic Jukebox presents 'Come Together'
Type: Music - Dance
Description: New Monthly Club Night With A Difference!

Raise Your Hands If You Understand !

The problem? Everyones got kids now or they're in rehab!:crazy:

Looks dead good that :D And I thought Brighton was just full of bummers !

All mixes I've heard from Electric Chair in Manc were foookin ace - shame it's finished & I never made it to a single night :cry: