Nu old skool tunes

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Ceejay

Jul 15, 2006
Preston
linktr.ee
How about re-inventing the day of rave by making toons like they used to be, everybody loves the old skool tunes, but we need the kids to understand it's not all cocaine,stella and fighting what it's all about(especially with scouse house as their source of music!!)if music makers bring back the old skool vibe by making brand new old skool tunes with the same samples we are used to then maybe we can start another dance revolution like '89, tell me what u think of this folks(are or am i talking complete shite!!)Chris.:hubba:

Last edited:

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
For me, one of todays problems with dance music is that its too genre based. Id like to hear a bit more diversity in a set more often.

Eg just been listenin to some upto date electro and although I quite like it it gets a bit much after a while and a bit samey

I heared an old Hacienda mix the other day and how refreshing it was to hear a little bit of everything... house, garage, techno etc

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
For me, one of todays problems with dance music is that its too genre based. Id like to hear a bit more diversity in a set more often.

Eg just been listenin to some upto date electro and although I quite like it it gets a bit much after a while and a bit samey

I heared an old Hacienda mix the other day and how refreshing it was to hear a little bit of everything... house, garage, techno etc

here here - thats how it was in clubland once upon a time :(

further_ahem

May 8, 2007
I still try and mix like that live - thats why I prefer really long sets - 9 hours long - youre only just getting into it after an hour!

Theres more time to expand the horizons of the listeners and get on a proper wavelength with them.

Thats another reason why (at least here in Oz), I hated that at raves there was about 20 DJs a night. Not enough time so they all just played the big tunes.

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
there will never another 89, it was a one off and for those of us who were lucky enough to live through it and be part of the chosen ones, be thankful

it was like the original summer of love in the 60's, the punk thing, the ska thing, the brit pop thing

if you think producers making old skool tunes now would drag back all the kids from hed kandi shite, r&b, grunge, goth or indie bands then you are sadly mistaken

you can never create a scene it just happens naturally

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
you can never create a scene it just happens naturally

You can influence it though and there's a load of new wave acid house tracks that are coming out and have been for the past year or so, which to me is only a good thing :thumbsup:

Viva Acid House :cool: 1988 - 2008 :hubba:

easty

VIP Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
theres been hardcore, breaks, house and every other genre made in an old skool style since old skool was new skool, theres loads of the stuff out there, i've got boxes full of it at home

Another thing as well, theres no way it was better back in the day, there was just not enough choice of music as there is now and there was just as much trouble if not more back then, than there is now

Clubland is ace and vibrant at the moment, its just that its a young persons game and most peeps on here are not young no more

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
Another thing as well, theres no way it was better back in the day, there was just not enough choice of music as there is now and there was just as much trouble if not more back then, than there is now

Clubland is ace and vibrant at the moment, its just that its a young persons game and most peeps on here are not young no more

you are talking shit IMO, it was not just about the music and how much differemt tunes were being made

it was about the whole scene and its freshness, it was about the drugs, the crowd the naughtiness of it all, the feeling of being one big family

as for trouble you must have been going to shite clubs, the ones i went to back in the day had none and there were no neds or chavs going either

i still love clubbing, i go to ibiza still, i go to new york clubbing still and i sometimes play out at old skool nights but the fact of the matter is it was better then

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
I have not been to any new clubs in this Generation of music but i seen a clip on You Tube and no one was dancing but just all chanting at the DJ like he is in a band or something it is like they are not listening to the music,i find that strange as i would never respect a DJ that much for me to stand and stair and chant at him or her all night i'd rather enjoy what he is playing have a few drinks etc then respect him or her after there set if i enjoyed it that is.I feel a lot of clubers who listen to DJ's in a club think it is really hard to mix like,when a DJ moves the fader up and down and the crowd go mad to it i find it so strange it's not hard to do that if it really good scrathing with the crossfader yes thats different thats raw talent.But for me oldschool music feels better,the music now i enjoy but that feeling i get from oldschool is irreplaceable,music now is not as raw to me it feels like Technology is taking over music and slowly killing it i might be wrong time will tell but i do like new music and will keep listening to it as i like Nu School Breaks and i am making a Electro House tune for the first time....But no! for me music was a lot better in the oldschool days! you never knew what was round the corner!

Last edited:

easty

VIP Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
you are talking shit IMO, it was not just about the music and how much differemt tunes were being made

it was about the whole scene and its freshness, it was about the drugs, the crowd the naughtiness of it all, the feeling of being one big family

as for trouble you must have been going to shite clubs, the ones i went to back in the day had none and there were no neds or chavs going either

i still love clubbing, i go to ibiza still, i go to new york clubbing still and i sometimes play out at old skool nights but the fact of the matter is it was better then

right so is there more choice in music now or in 1988?
Also check enormous mouse records website for tunes made today in an old skool style
also as for trouble, what did Manchesters 2 biggest clubs back in the day get shutdown for, that will be the hacienda and the thunderdome, and while we are at it throw in Konspiracy and most excellent

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
right so is there more choice in music now or in 1988?
Also check enormous mouse records website for tunes made today in an old skool style
also as for trouble, what did Manchesters 2 biggest clubs back in the day get shutdown for, that will be the hacienda and the thunderdome, and while we are at it throw in Konspiracy and most excellent
listen mate, there is more music now but it does not mean that music is better

there was more good music back then as most of the stuff now is shite, far more music i grant you but less quality control, if the music was better now then this board would not be so busy would it?

also where were you in 88, 89, 90, 91, 92? did you see any trouble in these clubs

when did these clubs shut down? you cant use manchester clubs as an example of the entire scene and not all closed down because of trouble but because of the drugs, crackdowns by police and the licensing authorities, owners selling up for housing etc etc

you were not there so you can have no opinion if the clubs are better now than 89

the clubs may be better now than when you started clubbing but that wasnt 89 so you are unqualified to comment

easty

VIP Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
listen mate, there is more music now but it does not mean that music is better

there was more good music back then as most of the stuff now is shite, far more music i grant you but less quality control, if the music was better now then this board would not be so busy would it?

also where were you in 88, 89, 90, 91, 92? did you see any trouble in these clubs

when did these clubs shut down? you cant use manchester clubs as an example of the entire scene and not all closed down because of trouble but because of the drugs, crackdowns by police and the licensing authorities, owners selling up for housing etc etc

you were not there so you can have no opinion if the clubs are better now than 89

the clubs may be better now than when you started clubbing but that wasnt 89 so you are unqualified to comment

lol fair enough I might not have been in the clubs but members of my family and friends were and I was old enough to read the paper
The thunderdome got shutdown cause a bouncer was stabbed, there were also bouncers shot at, i know this as I live 2 minutes away from the place.
The hacienda officialy shut cause it went into receivership and yes i did get to go in the hacienda but it had closed many times before this because of the trouble, bouncers were knifed etc so they had to put up metal detectors. These didnt help as the trouble continued
Konspiracy was shut because of the trouble
Now as for the tunes its a matter of opinion, most people on here will tell u the tunes from 1988 were the best as they were the ones they grew up with but musically theres no comparison between tunes made today and way back then, technically speaking they are far superior and sound a lot better today. Are they better tunes made today, well thats a matter of opinion, I like all the mid nineties stuff but if u think about it rationally, people making tunes today have a lot more experience of doing it, theres a far superior choice of music and they also sound a lot better technically. But like I say if u had a great time in 88 listening to these tunes your gonna be biased towards them and in your head no matter how good a tune is from a different period you'll probably say its not as good as it used to be
As for your original point, theres shitloads of tunes made today in an old skool style, if u have not heard them which u obviousy have'nt then how can u possibly say that music is shite today.

There is shit new dance music just as there is amazing new dance music... just as there is shit old dance music & amazing old dance music - it's all subjective.

However proportion-wise I'd say the years 1988 (& before) to about 1994 are so special - because everyone is still chasing tunes from this era - & they still command a price. That is why they are called 'classics'.

Jamie Principle - Waiting On My Angel

Jamie Principle - Your Love

The two tunes above were created in 1984 & were played on reel to reel tape & adored before even being finally pressed on vinyl in 1985 & 1986. They were both so ahead of the game for the time & even today are revered, respected & loved... you only have to listen to the crowd reaction whenever they are dropped to see this.

But then they weren't created in the be-all & end-all universe that is Manchester so they don't count :rolleyes:

Likewise you can NEVER create the buzz from back in the day... it was new, fresh, exciting, naughty & NOTHING like it had gone before.

Easty, no offense son, but you are wrong - you weren't there back in the day & you I doubt you remember growing up in Thatchers Britain... with the exception of Blues parties everything closed at 2, you had to wear a suit to get into a club & the music was shite.... Acid House & Raving changed everything.

I'm sorry if this comes as a shock but there is a huge great big world outside of the M60 circular.

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
lol fair enough I might not have been in the clubs but members of my family and friends were and I was old enough to read the paper

The thunderdome got shutdown cause a bouncer was stabbed, there were also bouncers shot at, i know this as I live 2 minutes away from the place.
The hacienda officialy shut cause it went into receivership and yes i did get to go in the hacienda but it had closed many times before this because of the trouble, bouncers were knifed etc so they had to put up metal detectors. These didnt help as the trouble continued
Konspiracy was shut because of the trouble

Now as for the tunes its a matter of opinion, most people on here will tell u the tunes from 1988 were the best as they were the ones they grew up with but musically theres no comparison between tunes made today and way back then, technically speaking they are far superior and sound a lot better today. Are they better tunes made today, well thats a matter of opinion, I like all the mid nineties stuff but if u think about it rationally, people making tunes today have a lot more experience of doing it, theres a far superior choice of music and they also sound a lot better technically. But like I say if u had a great time in 88 listening to these tunes your gonna be biased towards them and in your head no matter how good a tune is from a different period you'll probably say its not as good as it used to be

As for your original point, theres shitloads of tunes made today in an old skool style, if u have not heard them which u obviousy have'nt then how can u possibly say that music is shite today.

1. exactly you were not there so you cannot possibly know what it was like at the start of this scene so you cannot comment. you can say it is better now than when you started but not back then. you read the paper so you know that the clubs were not as good then as now???

2. when did you start clubbing?

3. actually mate my favourite music is from 91/92 then from 95/96 but the scene for me was better 89/90

4. the troubles in manchester, and lets face when was the hac closed, are an exception to the rest of the uk and there was less of this trouble at the start of the scene than later on. clubbing where i did there was almost zero trouble until about 95 when there was more coke and drinkers in the scene

5. i said "most" new music is shite. there is a greater proportion of shite to good stuff nowadays because there are so much more producers. i still buy loads of music but i have to troll through loads of shite to get it, and i also go clubbing to clubs where they play modern music and still love it, you just have to choose your clubs more carefully as there a lot of shite clubs playing shite music

6. my original point was that you cannot ever create 89 again, this is a fact you were not there so you cant possibly know

try reading what i am saying first and not trying to judge the whole start of the scene on what your cousins told you, mnachesters clubs closing down many years after 89, and what the papers say

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Don't argue with easty, just nod and everythings all ok :D

J/k :p

seandelier, I know where you are coming from with the amount of music being produced today, it's much easier for people to make music with just a PC than years ago when they had to have a few bits of kit, drum machine, couple of synths, a sequencer (or a computer with one) and a mixing desk at least, plus effects, so there weren't as many people making music as they all couldn't afford the kit they needed. Nowadays its all software based, so if you have a fairly decent spec'd PC it doesn't cost you anything else as most will d/l the software for nothing.

There is less quality control, the amount of shite out there is shocking and you do have to sift through it.

Here's the tester though...

We remember thousands of great tunes made in our 'best era' (whatever you want to class it as, usually 88-92 - although I'd go back as far as 83..) How many great tunes will todays teens remember in 20 years time from their 'best era' ? Compared to our thousands of great tunes, I bet theres are only less than a hundred, if that.

There might be more tunes being made now, but 80% of them are shit, whereas back in our golden era with less producers it was a reversal, only 20% of stuff that came out was shit, 80% was amazing.

The problem that I have with new music is producers being too lazy to change the presets of the programs they use, so you are just hearing the same beats and the same sounds churned out so much all the time.

As for this minimal bollocks, well that's another thread but 99% of that is boring and lacks everything a track should have.

:D

Tell you what though, when you do find good new music, you grab hold of it with both hands, Lindstrom & Prins Thomas, Booka Shade and the likes are right up there imo, also at more realistic tempo's instead of all the faster rubbish that was around in the mid 90's, they have taken it back to slower bpm's which works so much better, the sounds have more of a groove and sit and work nicer together.

phones:

DavidM4

Jan 6, 2004

bang on :thumbsup: i remember at blackburn parties - yazoo(82), gloria gaynor(78), carly simon(82) and the roses to name a few gettin dropped and goin down a storm, so there is only good music and shite music.:thumbsup: