New to this MB and wanted to say hello

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

DoublePromo

Mar 10, 2005
Last night I was doing a net search Greyhouse "New Beats The House" and I came across a link for this website. I have the record on US vinyl (House Nation Records) and was looking to find a Netherlands pressing for a remix (or extended mix) that I heard Tony Humphries play back in 1990, and, voila, here I am. I perused a few threads and see that many of you are really up on your classic house tunes covering a wide range of sounds and a wide range of years. My name is Will (DJ BigWill) and my website is www.doublepromo.com and I've been DJ'ing for quite a few years. Briefly, my favorite years of house music are from 1989-1994 and although I play a lot of new house music, I primarily play older house because, frankly, that is when the best house music was made. My concentration is on the harder to find / obscure / unreleased remixes that would be found on test pressings / promos / reels / acetates, etc. My philosophy is to play records that people are familiar with, but play the version that a lot of people haven't heard before, or have heard in a club many years ago and that song has stuck in their head but they just didn't know the name or artist. This is the equivalent of playing old and new music at the same time. In this day and age of computer technology and file sharing, and although some good music is being made, the sound of a lot of music is pretty sterile, bland, and same-soundy, anyone with a PC can call themselves a DJ and make a song/remix, and the same holds true today as it did many years ago (but it is more prevalent today) that one need not have talent to make a song. It's also created a "bandwagon" effect in which so many producers/remixers sound like one another that it is creating a large group of uneducated music listeners that give props to remixers/producers that in all reality make lackluster music, but, let me call it what a lot of it really is, cookie-cutter music. Even well-established and legendary producers/remixers have gotten lazy and joined the bandwagon effect, and all those that have contributed to the demise of what real house music is all about. By real house music, I'm talking about when music wasn't broken down into so many segments and definitions. When DJ's would play tunes that were defined by its sound, not by the label that people and the masses have given it. When I could hear the Derrick May remix of Sueno Latino, songs from Warped and Outer Rhythm and Strictly and Emotive and all the major labels, tunes by Reese Project, Robert Owens, Mr. Fingers, a host of Italo tunes from BCM / BCR / Irma / DFC, hear loads of unreleased songs, hear Detroit techno, hear Jam & Spoon, hear hip-house, and so much more and I would hear all of this in one DJ set. When DJ's weren't playing a night of safety records, and all of this being done at a time when the DJ wasn't bigger than the music.

Well, that's enough of my diatribe. It looks like I can learn a lot from the people that post on this board and I'm glad to be here. And, as I've digressed enough already, and I guess there is another area on this message board for people to post mixes, I've got a lot of mixshows online, and I've got a couple here that I think / hope that the lot of you will appreciate. The songs cover the years 1989-1994 and covers a decent range of sound and variety but with a central theme, emphasis on quality of mixing and delivery. I hope you enjoy them. I hope I haven't taken up too much of your time with a lengthy intro/diatribe, and I look forward to your criticism/feedback. (I notice that these two mixes contain 3 songs played in the same order, but both mixes were done about four months apart).

www.doublepromo.com/DJBWPRO-9.rm[/b]
Josh Wink - Strong Song - Happy Waxx
De La Soul - Saturdays - Tommy Boy
Lisa Fischer - Save Me - Elektra
Grey House - New Beats The House - House Nation
Monie Love - Grandpa's Party - Cooltempo
Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives - Arista
Soft House Company - What You Need - Irma
K-Alexi - Don't Cha Want It - Underground
Paradise Orchestra - Satisfy Your Dream - Energy
Father Funkin' - Keep Your Mind Changed - Discoid
Cover Girls - Wishing On A Star - Epic
Lisa Stansfield - Set Your Loving Free - Arista
Andrea Mendez - Real Love - Azuli
Andrea Mendez - Let The Music Kiss Your Soul - Azuli
Dreamhouse - I Can Feel It - United Sounds
Earth People - Dance - Apexton
Black Science Orchestra - Where Were You - Junior Boys Own
PM Dawn - Watcher's Point Of View - GEE Street
D.James/D.Anthony/Fay Victor - You Make Me Happy - Freeze
Orr-Some - We Can Make It - Debut

www.doublepromo.com/DJBWPRO-32.rm[/b]
Electribe 101 - Talking With Myself - Phonogram
Paul Simpson & Adeva - Musical Freedom - Cooltempo
A Separate Reality - Let No Man Put Asunder - Hard Discs
React To Rhythm - All Or Nothing - Guerilla
Inner City - Hallelujah - Ten
Babyford - Change - Sire
Unit 46 - Gonna Be Alright - Vinyl Solution
Jovonn - Running - Warner
Urban Soul - Alright - Chrysalis
Deborah Harry - I Can See Clearly Now - Chrysalis
King Amazin - Double Asunder - House Jam
Man Machine - Robot To Okoku - Outer Rhythm
Father Funkin - Keep Your Mind Changed - Flying
Robin S - Love For Love - Rhythm Records
Ace Of Base - Living In Danger - London/FFRR

grover

Jun 5, 2003
welcome to the board mate...... there is a few like minded people like yourself on this board...... thanks for the mix...tracklisting looks great.....look forward to seeing more of your posts :thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Hello Will....welcome to the board m8ty..........yup you sound like youll fit right in...........!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :D ;)

Liking the look of the mixes...thanking you in advance................. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Come have a chat with us in chill out too from time to time :$ :wave:

Debs x :king:

Ps ..... Greyhouse 'New beats the house' TUNE!!!!!!! :p phones:

DoublePromo

Mar 10, 2005
Apologies for anyone having a prob with the download. I think it was due to the URL being incorrect when I had it bolded. Please copy and past the link into your download application and it should work fine, or actually the links look clickable/workable. Mixes are 56K.

www.doublepromo.com/DJBWPRO-9.rm
Josh Wink - Strong Song - Happy Waxx
De La Soul - Saturdays - Tommy Boy
Lisa Fischer - Save Me - Elektra
Grey House - New Beats The House - House Nation
Monie Love - Grandpa's Party - Cooltempo
Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives - Arista
Soft House Company - What You Need - Irma
K-Alexi - Don't Cha Want It - Underground
Paradise Orchestra - Satisfy Your Dream - Energy
Father Funkin' - Keep Your Mind Changed - Discoid
Andrea Mendez - Real Love - Azuli
Andrea Mendez - Let The Music Kiss Your Soul - Azuli
Dreamhouse - I Can Feel It - United Sounds
Earth People - Dance - Apexton
Black Science Orchestra - Where Were You - Junior Boys Own
PM Dawn - Watcher's Point Of View - GEE Street
D.James/D.Anthony/Fay Victor - You Make Me Happy - Freeze
Orr-Some - We Can Make It - Debut

www.doublepromo.com/DJBWPRO-32.rm
Electribe 101 - Talking With Myself - Phonogram
Paul Simpson & Adeva - Musical Freedom - Cooltempo
A Separate Reality - Let No Man Put Asunder - Hard Discs
React To Rhythm - All Or Nothing - Guerilla
Inner City - Hallelujah - Ten
Babyford - Change - Sire
Unit 46 - Gonna Be Alright - Vinyl Solution
Jovonn - Running - Warner
Urban Soul - Alright - Chrysalis
Deborah Harry - I Can See Clearly Now - Chrysalis
King Amazin - Double Asunder - House Jam
Man Machine - Robot To Okoku - Outer Rhythm
Father Funkin - Keep Your Mind Changed - Flying
Robin S - Love For Love - Rhythm Records
Ace Of Base - Living In Danger - London/FFRR

AB45

Dec 31, 2003
Essex
welcome m8. Sounds like youll fit right in here (someones got to lol)
Enjoy ya stay :thumbsup:

p.s. if any of the scousers PM you with demands for cash for subscription to this site or for advice given (i.e. tune ID's) dont send em cash! its free :D :p

grover

Jun 5, 2003
AB45 said:
p.s. if any of the scousers PM you with demands for cash for subscription to this site or for advice given (i.e. tune ID's) dont send em cash! its free :D :p
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ya bastie :D

DoublePromo

Mar 10, 2005
Northern Star said:
Can have a nosey and ask where ya from Will :$ :p

Born and raised in the South Bronx, lived in Queens for several years, a few years in Brooklyn, and now in Staten Island. I'm a native New Yorker!

As the other fellow music fiends have said...

... a great introduction - pleased to greet you.

Be prepared for general banter and waffle about obscure tracks and loads of musical pedantry from us all.

Get ready for lessons in the (mis)-use of the English language in all its regional UK dialects!

Oh - and there will, of course, be huge levels of randomness and confusion - especially of a weekend - and even more if there's been an event put on by some of the old school promoters/djs on here. For some reason, people get a little :fekked:

Welcome :wave:

BrixTim

DoublePromo

Mar 10, 2005
brixtonite said:
... a great introduction - pleased to greet you.

Be prepared for general banter and waffle about obscure tracks and loads of musical pedantry from us all.

Get ready for lessons in the (mis)-use of the English language in all its regional UK dialects!

Oh - and there will, of course, be huge levels of randomness and confusion - especially of a weekend - and even more if there's been an event put on by some of the old school promoters/djs on here. For some reason, people get a little :fekked:

Welcome :wave:

BrixTim

Sounds good to me Brixtonite. I was in London last month DJ'ing in your neck of the woods at a spot called White Horse Brixton. Had a fab time there too. Will post links to the mix from that night as well as the tracklisting.