Mike Pickering - Sep 1987

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Dr Good Groove

Sep 19, 2005
London
A little something I found lurking in the cupboard...

Attachments

• ID Mag Issue 51 - Sep 1987 - Mike Pickering.jpg
    ID Mag Issue 51 - Sep 1987 - Mike Pickering.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 132

Tim Acid

Nov 1, 2003
The Acid House
theacidhouse.com
interesting read that was ta....

spesh with the North South observation in music tastes.... Its seemed in later years the patterns would shift...the southerners opting for harder sounds on the dance floor with no lyrics....while the ital screamers took of in the North.

:thumbsup:

Dr Good Groove

Sep 19, 2005
London
Pickering was ahead of the game if you look at this chart. He was playing these tunes way before some people, who were still into hip hop / rare grooves.
The scan is from ID mag btw, Sep 1987.

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Dr Good Groove said:
Pickering was ahead of the game if you look at this chart. He was playing these tunes way before some people, who were still into hip hop / rare grooves.
The scan is from ID mag btw, Sep 1987.

Completely agree, its amusing how the media would have you believe London started the House movement in the UK ;)

Dr Good Groove

Sep 19, 2005
London
Konspiracy said:
Completely agree, its amusing how the media would have you believe London started the House movement in the UK ;)

Lol, I'm London but the old southern media folklore "One day four men from London called Paul, Johnny... spent a week in Ibiza and house music was born" has always stretched the credibility a touch...

Markz

Bit like this you mean.....

Flash forward a decade or so and the same Paul Oakenfold is sitting in the plush pool bar at Pikes Hotel just off the main road between Ibiza Town and San Antonio (just a stone's throw from Amnesia in fact). He's sipping on his freshly squeezed and reminiscing about the parties he went to at this very hotel: Freddie Mercury, Grace Jones, the whole champagne set shenanigans.
These days Oakenfold is a living legend. It's a crap term (generally used of clapped-out lounge singers and ageing, cosmetically enhanced film stars) but in his case it happens to be appropriate. Just check out the story of his ecstasy conversion. Because that's a legend if ever I heard one. But is it true?

"For me, it's all about the music. The drugs just complement the music. I suppose if you speak to people who aren't so into music then they'll tell you otherwise. But music and drugs have always gone hand in hand; it's more a question of what was the drug of the generation; whether it's marijuana, cocaine or E." Yeah. But is the story true?

"Sure it's true. Before '87, I came here and just got off on Alfredo's music. Then I took a pill and it was, like, 'Oh my God!' And then? Well. You're on a mission aren't you?" Mission is right. Because when the four pioneers returned to London, they attacked the club scene with a missionary zeal; preaching the Balearic gospel to anyone who'd listen. Danny opened the seminal Shoom with his girlfriend Jenni and Nicky took the music to a more populist level with Trip at The Astoria. But it
was Oakenfold who really set himself a challenge when he negotiated a Monday night (Future) at what was then London's most celebrated venue, Heaven. Within a month he was 12 grand in debt and was beginning to wonder if he'd made an expensive mistake.

"I believed in it though. Even at the time it felt significant and right. We didn't care if we were making a statement but we just felt that we were on a better buzz than the people in London. Not even a drug buzz. Just having a lot more fun. At first we only had that hardcore following that had been to Ibiza, the people who gave out flyers and the bar workers, and we were barely breaking even. But slowly everyone brought someone who brought someone who brought someone. And it just got going. Just like Ibiza itself."

This seems to be a theme of Oakenfold's life; that word of mouth philosophy and his passion for sharing the music. And its a theme that has taken him full circle; from his time on the Amnesia dancefloor as one of the first proto-ravers to tonight's session at Cream's opening in Ibiza at - where else? - Amnesia. Though these days the venue is Brit-dominated, and the stretching queue is strictly Anglo-file.