Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Some**** Somewhere in Summertime
:rofl:
This made me lol...

It was time to be "realistic about the ability of cities such as Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle to regenerate struggling nearby towns such as Liverpool, Bradford and Sunderland.
Yeah, Manchester, give up trying to regenerate "nearby town" Liverpool... Newcastle, just give up trying to rejeuvenate "nearby town" Sunderland...

Some quality reader comments on that sun article in the link :thumbsup:

Rather than lowering the tone of nice pleasant places like London, Oxford and the South East, I think we should just build a fuckoff great big wall, with barbed wire, armed guards & and observation towers.

We could position it carefully so that places like Ilford, Watford & Luton would become someone else's problem.

Passers-by could be encouraged to dispose of any annoying loose change by whizzing coins over the wall... or leftover food... old clothes... tab ends etc... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Aye I saw this as well and just thought "it's Norman Tebbit, with his get on your bike comment all over again."

Manchester is very affluent in parts, Leeds is a financial capital in the North.

True, many Northern towns are not as successful as Manchester and Leeds. . .but Liverpool and others are catching up after lagging behind. I suppose the worry is they have missed the regeneration boat, just as the economy takes a turn for the worse.

However, there are some Northern towns, that with the best will in the world will struggle to amount to much, bar a major socio-economic miracle.

While London has a lot of wealth, it also has rediculous house prices and cost of living which often level things up. Also these muppets who write reports like this after only seeing the "north" on documentaries seem to forget all the poverty, crime and sink estates the capital has?

A smidgen of truth in what they say, but 95% twaddle.:|

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Wouldn't want you lot down here, you'd only lower the tone of the Home Counties with your wooden clogs & whippets ;)

You're all baby-eating scum living in cobbled streets & your rainbows are black & white.... :p

I went to the North once.... it was closed... :D

Wednesday is half day closing mate.

Kate.S

Sep 14, 2007
might be viewed as "barmy",

That's about the only thing I agree with. I heard about this on the news this morning and personally think it's a load of rubbish really. How much are they paying these people to think up this crap :confused: :naughty: That's what annoys me :cops:

Kate.S

Sep 14, 2007
Irony is Kate, we are paying the fuckers. Out of our income tax.
I'd love a job on a government think tank me. I bet they're on a fortune salary, and how hard can it fucking be?

Yeah they're on a fortune no doubt!! It's so irritating that they get paid to think up so much s*it! We should form an OSA think tank, we'd come up with far better ideas ;)

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
It's the usual "Soundbite" politics favoured by New Labour to
A: Cause kneejerk reaction
B: Get the gobshite in question's name bandied about the gutter press.
It seems to have worked.

Do as i do.
Treat it with the contempt it deserves, ignore it.

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
I
I'd love a job on a government think tank me. I bet they're on a fortune salary, and how hard can it fucking be?

Not hard at all mate. Judging off all the naff ideas they keep coming up with, it seems to me that they do nothing all day except sit around and smoke crack

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
It's the usual "Soundbite" politics favoured by New Labour to
A: Cause kneejerk reaction
B: Get the gobshite in question's name bandied about the gutter press.
It seems to have worked.

Do as i do.
Treat it with the contempt it deserves, ignore it.

I was under the impression it was a Conservative leaning think tank? I may be wrong. Although the Conservatives have distanced themselves from the report.

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
To be brutally honest, i didn't fully read the entire news reports, i'd formed the opinion that it was total bollocks by the second paragraph..

Yeah yeah, forming uninformed opinions and all that, but i really didn't feel the reports were actually worth wasting any further time on.

Apathy? Fuck yeah, and there lies everything that's wrong with the British political model at this time?
Maybe the real reason behind this kind of press statement is to induce apathy, divide and conquer? If that's the case, it seems to have worked...