How Vinyl Records are made

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
What a process I had no idea it was that complicated .One 12" needs two silver discs.
What TRAX in America did though was when it reached the pressing stage they threw in old 12"s and remelted them thats why the recordings and quality of vinyl is so bad ,some of mine are even badly warped,

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
Yeah, I heard that steve. Didn't they used to buy all the returns off major labels for a pittance then melt 'em down and repress em at their own plant?

There were some Trax reissues recenetly and they had to remaster them off the original vinyl, you can hear the pops the original pressing was that bad! I think there's even a disclaimer on the sleeve...:S

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Yeah, I heard that steve. Didn't they used to buy all the returns off major labels for a pittance then melt 'em down and repress em at their own plant?

There were some Trax reissues recenetly and they had to remaster them off the original vinyl, you can hear the pops the original pressing was that bad! I think there's even a disclaimer on the sleeve...:S

I've had them with little specs of white paper stuck/bonded into the surface!

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
Thats right Adam,and the guy who owned it all made all the money as all the artists were happy just to get all the stuff on vinyl ,he was then pressing it on old 12" and knocking it out and taking all the money.

He must have made a few bob then, some of the trax releases sold 1000's in the USA and that's before they pressed 'em for European export... greedy b*****d!!!

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
Yeah some records seem to have a core of a papery substance..maybe to save on the amount of vinyl being used i dunno

No, I think it all goes back to steve's original comment, if you use "pure" fresh vinyl you get a much better pressing but if you use melted down wax you get imprities creeping in and that's where the flecks come from.

In the early eighties a couple of the big US majors (Epic & Mecury) took to pressing on much thinner vinyl to save money and their pressings were crap too, especially if they were LPs. They were terrible! :(

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
No, I think it all goes back to steve's original comment, if you use "pure" fresh vinyl you get a much better pressing but if you use melted down wax you get imprities creeping in and that's where the flecks come from.

In the early eighties a couple of the big US majors (Epic & Mecury) took to pressing on much thinner vinyl to save money and their pressings were crap too, especially if they were LPs. They were terrible! :(

The last record I had on Epic was Shakin Stevens - Shakey!

My Grandad bought it me for Christmas!

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
He's kept Oxfam going though, you gotta hand it to him... :D
It's actually amazing some of the vinyl you do find in Charity shops isn't it?

It's almost worth trawling through eight dozen copies of The Goombay Dance Bands Greatest Hit and endless Five Star singles to find that one gem for 10p... we've all been there.... ;)