Has The Credit Crunch Affected Vinyl Sales?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

mr sy1975

Dec 5, 2006
Sevenoaks, down south
Obviously those that sell vinyl have seen the market drop a lot over the last couple of years:p I gave up selling on ebay about a year ago and now sell only on Discogs;)

I only sell to fund my vinyl addiction, although recently I haven't sold that much, most of my tunes are well priced (IMHO) and those that are up for silly money are ones I don't really want to sell:| LOL

So how are other vinyl traders finding it at the mo?

sy69

Jan 17, 2004
Not Here
with the amount of money i have just withdrawn from my paypal i would say its made no difference:cool:
Discogs took over ebay for buying and selling tunes ages ago,there are still lots of folk who are looking for the tunes be them unknowns or anthems.:D

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
with the amount of money i have just withdrawn from my paypal i would say its made no difference:cool:
Discogs took over ebay for buying and selling tunes ages ago,there are still lots of folk who are looking for the tunes be them unknowns or anthems.:D

I'd agree with that, as soon as people could start selling on Discogs some prices plummeted. Its taken some of the fun out of it to be honest, not that it will ever beat rooting through shops:)

Old house music does seem to be going for a bit less, but other stuff like disco is going for fortunes

DJ Bin-Bag

Apr 7, 2003
preston
getting better

i still often root through all the car boots from time to time, often to no avail, but sometines you strike gold, ie now thats what i call a bootleg, 50p twist 50p on a car boot!

however, its swings and roundabouts, ie, i'd be prepared to pay 100 + for a soulmasters!

sometimes u pay top whack but there are still bargains to be had, from a selling point of view, i have some old hardcore which i never played cos i thought it was poo, which are now fetching mega money??? i may start selling these off to fund my house addictions.:king:

Mister_DJ

May 1, 2003
Location Location
I work in credit.

IMHO....

No, but I do think the cheap $ has deffo had a big impact. Certainly on what I've bought these last 12 mths. Its made stuff from the US much much cheaper.

With the US "crunch" you do see less buyers from the states lately however this will be positive for UK buyers as US sellers will want to sell!!

The impact of the "crunch" here shouldn't really be felt by the GP yet. Its more at a business level and tbh a lot of it is media doom and gloom currently. Things will be tighter no doubt, but give it another 3-4 months maybe and we might start to see a difference, what with the energy price and fuel rises we've been promised etc.

To echo Neil - 70s Disco, Italo/Cosmic stuff and also the scarcer/quality US and UK house and hardcore pieces do seem to be holding their value and in some instances are still going up.

The trouble with Ebay tho is it has become just too darn expensive to sell stuff on. More sellers are moving away from it (incl me), which actually I reckon will help the values in the long run as there'll be less to choose from! Tis all swings and roundabouts!

:thumbsup:

Mart
:rolleyes:

waxHead

Feb 15, 2006
The impact of the "crunch" here shouldn't really be felt by the GP yet. Its more at a business level and tbh a lot of it is media doom and gloom currently. Things will be tighter no doubt, but give it another 3-4 months maybe and we might start to see a difference, what with the energy price and fuel rises we've been promised etc.

To echo Neil - 70s Disco, Italo/Cosmic stuff and also the scarcer/quality US and UK house and hardcore pieces do seem to be holding their value and in some instances are still going up.

The trouble with Ebay tho is it has become just too darn expensive to sell stuff on. More sellers are moving away from it (incl me), which actually I reckon will help the values in the long run as there'll be less to choose from! Tis all swings and roundabouts!

Mart

I was actually having the discussion about the GBP/Euro vs the US dollar last night, as I friend of mine may be going to Italy in the spring - as long as the Euro stays below 1.75 Euro-to-USD. Seems like the British and European markets aren't doing THAT much better than the US (relatively-speaking) to maintain such a high currency difference for much longer. But, it's anybody's guess, as there's a possibility for so many different things to affect currency values (credit crunch - US and global, oil, presidential elections, etc, etc). Just found it interesting to read this after having talked about it a bit last night.

About the vinyl - yeah, some prices have definitely dropped. I don't mind living in the US and getting vinyl here, but it's been tough trying to buy records from overseas. The weak USD is a bit frustrating, but I've been hoping it means more int'l buyers will pick up my stuff off Discogs/GEMM. Not much luck yet, tbh. :| :S

ogs

id say overall im doing slightly better now sales wise than few years ago as discogs has taken over from ebay , saving me time + money as its free to list and its so much faster to list stock as once its done its done , plus u can turn it all off when ur away and busy doing other things , also ive done a lot more sales since this "best offer" feature came in :thumbsup: as ive multiple copies of most of my stuff ,so if its say £15 someone offers me £12 if ive 2 or more ill take it , agreed the arse has fell out of a large % of records value generally but i think more people are getting into the oldskool scene which keeps up a healthy demand for quality ,good condition classics , plus all these spanish loons into rare hardcore must have more money than sense:confused: sometimes i think the heat has really got to thier brains ..:p

In fact I blame Neil entirely for this... I reck he's sat on a shit load of Italo disco & just leaks the occasional Electric Chair mix to get everyone on an ID frenzy & then to fight over the tune ;) :D

anthonyf218

Jul 31, 2005

Mart

tend to agree on this, swings and roundabouts, loads have now moved onto discogs, but the prices of tunes on discogs have gone up, less and less bargains to be had on there, which could positively affect sales levels / interest back onto ebay. It would be interesting to see the average listing > sale time for an oldskool tune on oggs; plenty of decent tunes are being listed but too many tend to sit there unsold. Even with some tunes where there are more than a few listed for saleup there, you dont, as much as you'd think, see some dropping their prices to get the sale.

All personal impressions, opinions and guesses of course, tbh i dont truly think anyone can be confident or have have been confident on how things have gone.

Last edited:

mr sy1975

Dec 5, 2006
Sevenoaks, down south
tend to agree on this, swings and roundabouts, loads have now moved onto discogs, but the prices of tunes on discogs have gone up, less and less bargains to be had on there, which could positively affect sales levels / interest back onto ebay. It would be interesting to see the average listing > sale time for an oldskool tune on oggs; plenty of decent tunes are being listed but too many tend to sit there unsold. Even with some tunes where there are more than a few listed for saleup there, you dont, as much as you'd think, see some dropping their prices to get the sale.

All personal impressions, opinions and guesses of course, tbh i dont truly think anyone can be confident or have have been confident on how things have gone.

Im not sure Ant, I list a lot of tunes at 1 or 2 quid and yes they are not mega sought after, but they are the kind of tunes that a while back you might of got 5 or 6 quid on ebay. I think that discogs and the ammount of new sellers is actually having an adverse affect on prices:p

Although a lot of the big rare tunes still go on for big money, But I think that down to the fact that you can see the numbers of people that want em;) If you've got the only one for sale and 100 people want it, your not going to stick it up for a fiver (even if its shite):D

anthonyf218

Jul 31, 2005
Im not sure Ant, I list a lot of tunes at 1 or 2 quid and yes they are not mega sought after, but they are the kind of tunes that a while back you might of got 5 or 6 quid on ebay. I think that discogs and the ammount of new sellers is actually having an adverse affect on prices:p

Although a lot of the big rare tunes still go on for big money, But I think that down to the fact that you can see the numbers of people that want em;) If you've got the only one for sale and 100 people want it, your not going to stick it up for a fiver (even if its shite):D

fair play sy, we've all got diff opinions :p , its only what ive noticed. Maybe what I should have said was that i think the good bargains arent there. The ones which you put up for £1 - £2 are maybe ones which a lot of people have so thats just natual saturation and theres less demand; therefore you drop the price.

The good thing about oggs a little while ago was that you'd still be able to drop upon a tune for a fiver which in the normal world value was worth £40. Happens very little now; theres less and less opportunity for a seller to (make the mistake of?) putting up a tune for a bargain price because the tune might have 25 people in its wants list cos oggs is getting so popular.

If you turn this around, with people shifting onto oggs, ebays now becoming the place where you can pick something up for the bargain price. eg.. loads of italian stuff has been going for peanuts on ebay. But you dont see the same tunes on oggs being listed at those prices.

What you actually get now is people buying off ebay and them sticking them on oggs for the daft prices.

Sound familiar? ie. for the last couple of years (prob longer), a lot of sellers on ebay were buying off oggs and sticking them on ebay and they sold at big prices.

Now its been totally turned round, ebay > oggs.

Good example of this is where a few italian or big zone tunes have gone for very low prices on ebay recently. Low and behold they turn up from the same ebay buyers for sale on oggs for big prices a week later!

...."swings and roundabouts" :thumbsup:, and in time it could swing back for the same reasons. potentially.

mr sy1975

Dec 5, 2006
Sevenoaks, down south
yeah that makes sense. Although I saw a so called zone tune on oggs this morning, 3 copies were up for between 20 & 30 quid. It had also been released on a spanish label and there was one for sale on there for 5 euros. So its always worth checking other labels cause you might still find a bargin!!

fair play sy, we've all got diff opinions :p , its only what ive noticed. Maybe what I should have said was that i think the good bargains arent there. The ones which you put up for £1 - £2 are maybe ones which a lot of people have so thats just natual saturation and theres less demand; therefore you drop the price.

The good thing about oggs a little while ago was that you'd still be able to drop upon a tune for a fiver which in the normal world value was worth £40. Happens very little now; theres less and less opportunity for a seller to (make the mistake of?) putting up a tune for a bargain price because the tune might have 25 people in its wants list cos oggs is getting so popular.

If you turn this around, with people shifting onto oggs, ebays now becoming the place where you can pick something up for the bargain price. eg.. loads of italian stuff has been going for peanuts on ebay. But you dont see the same tunes on oggs being listed at those prices.

What you actually get now is people buying off ebay and them sticking them on oggs for the daft prices.

Sound familiar? ie. for the last couple of years (prob longer), a lot of sellers on ebay were buying off oggs and sticking them on ebay and they sold at big prices.

Good example of this is where a few italian or big zone tunes have gone for very low prices on ebay recently. Low and behold they turn up from the same ebay buyers for sale on oggs for big prices a week later!

...."swings and roundabouts" :thumbsup:, and in time it could swing back for the same reasons. potentially.

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
I saw a so called zone tune on oggs this morning, 3 copies were up for between 20 & 30 quid. It had also been released on a spanish label and there was one for sale on there for 5 euros. So its always worth checking other labels cause you might still find a bargin!!

Yeah but they don't sound the same unless they've got that little stamp on them! :D

etech

Apr 25, 2006
Sunny side of Birmingham

Nail hit firmly on the the head IMO. :thumbsup:

Yeah but they don't sound the same unless they've got that little stamp on them! :D

That is SO the truth;)

dodgymix

also ive done a lot more sales since this "best offer"

you keep rejected mine lol

Fair to say

Ebay is a rip off, great lets have a 10p lsiting day, oh wait a minute, all records, cd & dvd's cost 10p to list and they take 10% final value fee.
then paypal...complete waste of time.. I probably list 2 tunesa month no ebay.

Discogs is best way...even if some of my rare uns are a third of the other sellers prices with no interest.

My vinyl sales went crazy in Dec after I bought 100 acid techno tunes on labels like UR, red planet & "stay up forever"

Paid £30 and so far made half a grand, loads posted to Eastern Europe (Prague / Lithuania etc)