Hacienda Hot 1988 Video Footage

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Geeky

Apr 10, 2002
Just come across this on youtube. I think this is from Tony Wilson's uncovered tape that was on the BBC documentary recently. Fascinating footage, looks like quite a lot of acid was dropped that night. :p

A bit disappointing the music has been dubbed over with the 94 remix of Yeke Yeke.

YouTube - Manchester. The Hacienda Hot Night

Last edited:

Geeky

Apr 10, 2002
Also found this pic. I always wondered what the pool would have looked like in there. lol :p

fac51pool1.jpg

Last edited:

Geeky

Apr 10, 2002
Nice find that buddy....lol hoping that pic is early on cas it looks dead:p

One....Newy
It actually looks quite clean and fresh in there. Never seen the place so bright. Not how I remember the Hac at all, although 88 was light years before my time. :cry: :S

Newy

May 10, 2008
Huddersfield
Yeah my first visits late 91 seemed to tie in with the fashion of cream coloured jeans...lol

A colour that didnt last long,some of the marks on em by end of night jus couldnt be explained:|

Maybe thats what the pool was really for ..half full of Daz n we thought they`d hired a bubble machine lol

One....Newy

Geeky

Apr 10, 2002
Yeah my first visits late 91 seemed to tie in with the fashion of cream coloured jeans...lol

A colour that didnt last long,some of the marks on em by end of night jus couldnt be explained:|

Maybe thats what the pool was really for ..half full of Daz n we thought they`d hired a bubble machine lol

One....Newy
My first night in there was February 94. I remember wearing a checked lacoste long sleave shirt, skin tight jeans and rockport (before every single chav got their hands on em) ;)

The embarassing thing was I took my shirt off on the back of the stage and lost it so spent the rest of the night freezing and shirtless. :$ :$ :$ :D :moonie:

Also was very lucky getting in that night. I looked about 14 and Damian Noonan was not having any of it. Luckily a ruckus broke outside on the road... I hurried over to the counter, paid and walked straight in. :mad:

The Hac was rammed that night, a complete lock out and the atmosphere was excellent. I even saw Steve Mcdonald from Coronation Street knocking out some shapes.

Last edited:

kofiluca

Sep 7, 2008
Good find - this footage was used in the recent Hac 25 yr anniversary exhibition at Urbis with a much different soundtrack!

Geeky

Apr 10, 2002
It looks smaller than I imagined !
Empty club always do. :p

I got a reply on you tube on my comment on the video. :D

YouTube - Manchester. The Hacienda Hot Night

You're right about the soundtrack.I was given the original video by Tony Wilson's son Oliver.It was aired on BBC 1's Inside Out with the original soundtrack.I edited and and added the Mori Kante track to give a better feel of what it was like when The Hacienda was really at it's best during this period. I worked at the club for over 14yrs eventually becoming the General Manager and I wanted to see if I could give the video a bit of the feeling I used to experience and for some unknown reason this particular version of Yeke Yeke sprang to mind.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and well spotted.

Cheers

Leroy Richardson

Newy

May 10, 2008
Huddersfield
The angles of those pics are descieving....looking down from those balconies they where high and the roof was miles lol.The memory I will always have is once you`d paid at the kiosk the butterflies in your stomach would be replaced by the bass in the speakers entering your whole body and almost ripping your chest out.....fantastic times for me..:thumbsup:

One....Newy

PepeLePew

Oct 27, 2005
Hyde
www.myspace.com
It looks smaller than I imagined !

It was big enough :D
It was always rammed 89-91. Barely enough room to dance. I didn't go back in till about 96 for LTJ Bukem/Grooverider and it was full as anything I've been to in recent years - but it still seemed half empty.
Don't forget the wooden dancefloor only represented at most 50% of the area that you could dance on downstairs. It was sometimes a mission just to try and get on to it some nights. And then it was absolutely littered with empty Red Stripe cans :pixie: