Friendliest / Dodgiest club

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Friendliest, Wigan Pier in 92, never saw any trouble there at all. Even the management used to dance about.

Dodgiest without a doubt Konspiracy towards the end before it was shut down. Safety in numbers there. A couple of my mates wouldnt go in there if we had tried (and failed) to get in the Hac after one of em had his coat slashed while he has wearing it.

My Faves

Sequins 92-95 is cool same people nearly week in week out

eveybody knew each other and i never saw any trouble.

everybody used to hang around outside as well chatting for hours afterwards

the only trouble about being outside was the tossers from Oz used to lob bottles and stuff over at the crowds..it deffo kicked off all over the prom when that happened

The cooler where fever went to next was friendly too as it was mainly the same people

Dodgy deffo bowlers and Mr Smiths (Still a gamble going in there now

Alan

Re: Re: wow crunch in birmingham

edinjapan said:
A man of taste!

Mark Jarman and the other resident at Crunch Jon Hollis were GODS! Not sure if they are still doing it. If you get him down for Come together mate I'll be there with knobs on!!! Shoom is an old Crunch boy as well, am sure we must have hung off the same ceiling....

:fekked:

Got old tapes of his I still hammer!

Jus come across this thread (ooerr !) - yeah Crunch was a top top night - not as cliquey as Wobble on the Saturday - top tunes, top smiles & top fitty's !!:eyebrow: & boy did that floor 'wobble' :fekked:

Other Brum hotspots about that time (94 ish) - Steering Wheel, Marco Polo's and Studie Bakers.

For me best club by miles was Shelleys & Eclipse (1991) Eclipse went a bit moody in 92 & I'd lost interest in the hardcore by the time it turned into the Edge (Dougal ??? Feck off I say).

Dodgiest places were blues partys in deepest darkest handsworth, mosely, lozells pre my raving days when it was ragga, dub, red seal & red stripe !

Other dodgy places - travellers rave in Coalville nr Leicester in 92 where brew crew crusties steamed a load of 'city boy' ravers who turned up to party - plus had police presence/helicopter - Easygroove played that night !

From what I read in various good books about rave culture Konspiracy/Thunderdome/Clink STreet were pretty dodgy too - anybody have memories about them ?

DeeDee

May 13, 2002
Over the hill in St Helens
frendliest=shelleys by far followed by legends and wigan pier in the early 90's
dodgiest=applebys(damn right danster mate, still didnt stop us going though)monroes, any fantazia event some club in manchester that i cant remember what it was called but the all-nighter had been going 20mins when sum gangster couldnt get in so decided he would come back with a shot gun and blow the doors open,next thing plod everywhere,club shut and had to go to the banshee....that was a wicked club couldnt tell you if it was shady cause it was to dark to see anything, all the walls were painted black, it was pitch black apart from a strobe and tons of smoke being pumped out of the smoke machine, iwalked straight into a brick wall and wouldnt risk going to the toilet in case i did it again!!!

Last edited:
lizer said:
Wasnt just the one incident in the drome,happend weekly remember em coming back all smashed saying u see that lad get the bottle over his head ,u see that gang of lads all doing that 1 fella in,and this happend every time they went.
Not sure about the very early days,im talkin in about 93 ish when it went more hardcore.

Im sure one week the mc got lamped as well? unconfirmed that one tho

Its one place i would of love to have gone to cos the music was me fave at the time but i wouldnt touch it cos of atmosphere shit like that brings just messes the whole night up, para about if u looking at someone for more than 5 seconds

I was going there from end of 91-92 so maybe thats why I never saw no trouble :D

In 93 everything started to change..and I think thats when clubs started to go a bit dodgy....

I presumed you were talking about early 90's old skool clubs, but agree with dannster and butty there about GT being among the friendliest....one of the reasons I go there is cos its wicked seeing everyone which makes the atmosphere tops :thumbsup: but I'll also say that Come Together is another really friendly place with a top atmosphere :)

Dodgy clubs I have been to included The Moonraker in Llanelli...dodgy cheesy chart club where you were guaranteed to see a fight everytime you went there (normally started by the bouncers) I got punched in the face once just for standing in the way :S :mad:

And I went to a few Spiral Tribe "raves" in Bristol in 93/94 and one time I was with my boyfriend at the time (who was 6'5" with long ginger hair) and the minute we walked in the door he started getting hassle, being called a hippy un all that by this group of lads...they didnt realise I was with him at first and I heard them plan to jump him and beat the shit out of him...so after paying £10 to get in..we left after not even being there an hour :S On the way out I said to the bouncers..expect some trouble in here tonite...

The next day on the news...a group of lads (that had been kicked out for causing trouble) came back just as the night was closing with shotguns, threatened the promotors and bouncers, beat them up and took off with all the profits.....

oldskoolboy

Dec 13, 2002
land of the fairies
@ popham airfield there were that many people the police couldnt do anything and i think it was 5000 capacity but i think by the end of the night it was summat like 20000-people doing mad things to get in!:thumbsup: :hole:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
throw some london names in the hat...

friendly would be seduction raves in margate 90/91, could drop £20 on the floor and somebody would hand it back to you

dodgy would be tasco warehouse se18 91/92..top top nights but you realy had to watch your back at all times.

worst experiance i have had is being held up by a guy with a knife in astoria but that was a one off and astoria was far from dodgy.

si

scaz

Apr 24, 2002
wigan
siman91 said:

friendly would be seduction raves in margate 90/91, could drop £20 on the floor and somebody would hand it back .

si

i dropped £70 in yates in manchester over christmas and this girl handed it me back.

big respect to the women cause i didnt have a clue i dropped it.

you wouldnt always asscoisate manchester with friendlinest

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
spiely said:
In light of the Angels thread i thought i'd drag this up for any new members....:thumbsup:

Good call m8 :thumbsup:

friendliest = The Orbit (1st and foremost) in 12 ys or more of going never got into or saw any serious trouble :D :love:Shelleys, Legends, hacketts, early monroes, sequins, love shack many more too :thumbsup: Back to basics in its hay day was wikked too:thumbsup: as well as hard times ;)

badest = late monroes (scared the shit out of me:( ), Later Hacienda became very ignorant,arrogant and tense, quad park later on, the all dayers used to be well scary too at park hall.....i specifcally recall one event there was about 20 scousers outside who had been refused entry...we were just approaching the door at the time and the scousers outside were screaming at the door people and threats were flying....we were rushed in as they sensed things were getting dark......next thing we know all the trash cans in the car park were being thrown at the glass doors......and big rocks and anything else they could get hold of etc :mad: not nice to see at all and if we'd have been 5 minutes later we'd prolly have been caught up in the whole thing :cry:

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
Northern Star said:
Good call m8 :thumbsup:

friendliest = The Orbit (1st and foremost) in 12 ys or more of going never got into or saw any serious trouble

(

Couldn't agree more- did anybody ever go there straight?
Also would like to give a mention to Atomic Jam when it was at the Que club & Whooosh that used to take place in Nottingham.

Dodgiest, although I have never been involved in any bother- Marcus Garvey centre (aka the Ballroom) Nottingham. It's been going for fucking years that place, first went in '91 for the Shamen- Synergy tour & went last year for Jeff Mills- nothing had changed, although the music was obviously much better.
MGMs Nottingham- RAVE NIGHT- was threatened a couple of times in there.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Friendliest - Probably Wigan Pier, because I knew half of the club and one of the bouncers in there (1991/92)

Dodgiest - Hippodrome (92)

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
SCR101.5 said:
Couldn't agree more- did anybody ever go there straight?
Not a chance lmao :fekked:

them were the days we'd be off it in the car on route :p :$ was bloomin ace tho cus as ya pull into the car park there would be loadsa folks waving you in and dancing round their cars..then off to the littel pub accross the road then in ;) absolutely ace...my times out n about wouldnt be the same with out the orbit :love: phones:

Soda Jules

I know it was mentioned a few times in the original discussions on this thread both for and against, but I'd definitely nominate Drome in Birkenhead as dodgiest. Edgy atmosphere or wot? My mate got mugged inside the foyer in front of the bouncers who did FA about it. Bus ride back sat top front on the double decker whilst speeding through Queensway tunnel was always quite fun though.

I went to that rave at Popham Airfield that was suggested as "dodgiest". It wasn't all that bad despite wandering around the whole night on my own. I didn't finish DJing down the road in Basingstoke until midnight, so I'd arranged to meet my mates by the dodgems at 3am... which of course there weren't any so probably not the best plan in retrospect.

Jules

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
Northern Star said:
Not a chance lmao :fekked:

them were the days we'd be off it in the car on route :p :$ was bloomin ace tho cus as ya pull into the car park there would be loadsa folks waving you in and dancing round their cars..then off to the littel pub accross the road then in ;) absolutely ace...my times out n about wouldnt be the same with out the orbit :love: phones:

Hahaha & the pints just wouldn't go down your neck in that pub, because you'd be too excited about the night's forthcoming activities.

coggledots

Aug 11, 2005
Harrogate
pauly p said:
Freindliest club : Leeds Warehouse 1990-1991 (great people but there was the odd skermish between dealers with macheties but that was part of the fun).

Dodgiest : 1989 - 1992. Any of them blues bars in Chapeltown, Leeds like Sonny`s, Trades club, oh and kin`ell the dungeons (petrol bombs stored in the toilets, people swarming the cars outside, tables full of narcotics like a flea market, big dogs, kickboxing etc...

Pauly P

God! how could i of forgotten the chapeltown after parties! :S Deffo dodgie but i was that spannered i never really noticed :eek: Once came out of sonny's or 52's or one of the other number's in Chapeltown & saw a couple of lads fitting a new stereo into their beemer & thought to meself 'funny time to be fitting a stereo innit'

As i got closer to where my car was parked i noticed something not right with my passenger door, as i got closer realised the lock barrel was hanging out! Guess what?

YEP twas MY stereo they were fitting :mad:

Could hear em laughing as they watched me approach my car too the cnuts :mad:

Then to make it worse had a mate who thought it was hilarious to keep saying all the way home 'Charlie turn them f*ckin' tunes up will ya' :mad:

coggledots said:
God! how could i of forgotten the chapeltown after parties! :S Deffo dodgie but i was that spannered i never really noticed :eek: Once came out of sonny's or 52's or one of the other number's in Chapeltown & saw a couple of lads fitting a new stereo into their beemer & thought to meself 'funny time to be fitting a stereo innit'

As i got closer to where my car was parked i noticed something not right with my passenger door, as i got closer realised the lock barrel was hanging out! Guess what?

YEP twas MY stereo they were fitting :mad:

Could hear em laughing as they watched me approach my car too the cnuts :mad:

Then to make it worse had a mate who thought it was hilarious to keep saying all the way home 'Charlie turn them f*ckin' tunes up will ya' :mad:

lol it was cheeky down there ;) :S
Whose idea was it to go to these places :fekked: