Ethnic Prayer - Havana

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

mikey

Jan 15, 2002
just a question about Havana - Ethnic Prayer which a lot of people on here will have,which is the original 12"????
i've got 2 copies,one on Limbo and one on Top Secret Italy.
it samples Tears for Fears (i think).
the one on Renaissance has the sample but is cut up,i gather this was because of copyright.my Limbo copy is like this too.
i imagine there's an original white label out there with the proper sample on.that's what the Top Secret copy is like.
anyone understand what i'm on about?
cheers
mikey

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Yeah, I remember this, the original white was quite limited, and it used to fetch quite a bit then, used to go for 10+ in Manchester. not seen it in years. It had the original sample from a tears for fears record, I cant remember either, and it was far superior to the limbo copy which ive got as well. The limbo copy came out about 6 months after the white.

Never knew it came out on an italian label but the UK copy is deffo the original cos I think theyre scottish. The question is how did those italians get hold of the unlicensed version..?

mikey

Jan 15, 2002
cheers lads

i knew limbo was the original,just wondered whether there was a white.i've never seen one.
the ojne on top secret is defo the one from the tears for fears (thanks for the conformation there K) coz i've heard the TFF one on the radio at work.
the only reason i asked about it was becuase i thought it strange that the italian one has the full sample in,althought they're never bothered about sampling are they...:naughty:
i've only got the limbo one on the last year or so,just thought i'd ask.
cheers again marras!
mikey

mikey

Jan 15, 2002
by the way...

yeh pauly,i've got those two,they're good as well.i'd say schtoom is my fave of theirs,1st limbo release init?
mikey

wildpitch

Aug 12, 2002
Wasn't it the same story with the Mukka track as well? I'm sure I can remember the white label I have being in demand at the time for the fact that it had the "original sample" in it whereas the release didn't as they coulddn't get clearance for it. I think that was Tears For Fears or Yazoo or something.

Here's Johnny

Nov 29, 2001
Scotland
Mukkaa "Neebro" used Yazoo's "Nobody's Diary" and did get sample clearance.

Tears for Fears blocked Limbo from using the xylophone sample from "Change" on Havana's "Ethnic Prayer".

More usesless information for ya:

Mukkaa were Billy Kiltie (23rd Precinct Records, Glasgow) and Stuart Crichton aka "Solo" (remember Come On, So Beautiful?)

Havana were also Glasgow DJs/producers, probably the best known being Gipsy (I Trance U - came out also on Limbo)

mikey

Jan 15, 2002
re: More usesless information for ya:

Stuart Crichton was also behind Narcotic Thrust,which is an anagram of his name.....:axe:
mikey