England Squad Announced

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

johns_ar

Feb 20, 2002
www.northeastclubchat.co.uk
The 23-man provisional England squad for the Euro 2004 finals in Portugal...

James (Manchester City), Robinson (Leeds/Tottenham), Walker (Leicester); G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Man Utd), A Cole (Arsenal), Bridge (Chelsea), Campbell (Arsenal), Terry (Chelsea), King (Tottenham), Carragher (Liverpool); Beckham (Real Madrid), Scholes (Man Utd), Gerrard (Liverpool), Butt (Man Utd), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Dyer (Newcastle), Lampard (Chelsea), J Cole (Chelsea); Owen (Liverpool), Heskey (Liverpool), Rooney (Everton), Vassell (Aston Villa).

On standby: Southgate (M'boro), Upson (Birmingham), Parker (Chelsea), Defoe (Tottenham), Smith (Leeds), Wright (Everton).

stee

Mar 10, 2004
soundcloud.com
johns_ar said:
The 23-man provisional England squad for the Euro 2004 finals in Portugal...

James (Manchester City), Robinson (Leeds/Tottenham), Walker (Leicester); G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Man Utd), A Cole (Arsenal), Bridge (Chelsea), Campbell (Arsenal), Terry (Chelsea), King (Tottenham), Carragher (Liverpool); Beckham (Real Madrid), Scholes (Man Utd), Gerrard (Liverpool), Butt (Man Utd), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Dyer (Newcastle), Lampard (Chelsea), J Cole (Chelsea); Owen (Liverpool), Heskey (Liverpool), Rooney (Everton), Vassell (Aston Villa).

On standby: Southgate (M'boro), Upson (Birmingham), Parker (Chelsea), Defoe (Tottenham), Smith (Leeds), Wright (Everton).

Bet the French are worried! :|

Isn't being sarcastic great?! ;)

Here's Johnny

Nov 29, 2001
Scotland
stee said:
Bet the French are worried! :|

Isn't being sarcastic great?! ;)

As a typical Jock (our duty is to support whoever England are playing since w're so shite) I have to agree.

With the exception of Joe Cole (who won't start any games), I can't see any flair or invention in the squad that will trouble the French, Italians, Portugal et al. You always need players with a spark of genius that will do something different - like Gazza - to do well in these competitions.

This squad doesn't have it. Crammed full of workmanlike players - Butt, Hargreaves, Heskey, Vassell, Carragher who try hard but lack real international quality. As for David James, Ian Walker and Phil Neville, the words cart and horse spring to mind.

The sooner the FA punt Eriksson on to Chelsea, the sooner you get rid of the defensive minded long ball game and the sooner (god forbid!) England will have a chance of winning things.

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Here's Johnny said:
You always need players with a spark of genius that will do something different - like Gazza - to do well in these competitions.

Moment of genius, you mean this one...;)

SPGASFL085.jpg

You are right though, we are lacking in the creativity department unfortunately :|

truly-madly

Jan 12, 2004
Deepville
www.truly-madly.com
I reckon we've got the best midfield in the tournament if he plays Lampard. Sven seems to be making noises in that direction, with Gerrard on the left.

Gerrard/Scholes/Lampard/Beckham

Nuff creativity there!

I think if all our first choice stay fit we've got a good chance, but cover for pretty much every position is diabollical. I'm so excited already, butterflies an' everything.

E

easty

where is shaun wright philllips. He has been superb all season, he has been by far the best young player in the country and he does not even get a sniff. WHAT A JOKE

Here's Johnny

Nov 29, 2001
Scotland
truly-madly said:
I reckon we've got the best midfield in the tournament if he plays Lampard.
Gerrard/Scholes/Lampard/Beckham

Nuff creativity there!
QUOTE]

Beg to differ

France's midfield:

Pires/Viera/Zidane/Giuly

I know which quartet I'd have any day