Ebay vinyl

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Howy

Feb 22, 2012
Southport
Was looking at buying some vinyl off ebay, anybody got any tips on buying 'job lots' or 'vinyl collections' off there. Are there any bargains to be had???

Best thing to do is ask sellers questions before hand or you could end up buying some utter pap.... lots of sellers post lists on their item which helps

Personally i avoid the sellers offering 50 pot luck records for 30 quid etc... however one never knows and i have gone crate digging , bought an unknown and it has been a great record....

I recently bought a funky house collection for £150 for 1100 tunes and made that back by selling just 3 of them for 50 notes each so there is some good deals out there.

I think that if buying a job lot you are going to get a good handful that no one wants - i bin them or take them to the charity shop... happy hunting. :D

BOD

Staff member
VIP Silver Member
Sep 4, 2007
over there
What kind of stuff you after. any style in particular? Post it up on here somewhere. Theres always people looking to make room for new stuff etc and theres a good chance you will get a better response and list of stuff than on ebay :thumbsup:

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
You really gotta be prepared to take the good with the bad, lots of peeps are now on the vinyl tip mate, I would do as Bod suggests, put up a request list of the tunes you like the sound of..ie the style/era etc. Buying job lots is akin to buying cars from auction...gotta be on the ball...and there is little point buying in the hope that you'll have a touch, 1 or 2 cleverly placed sought after labels can easily fool you into thinking it's a winner. I normally take my old stuff to the trade markets and give it to the sellers I buy from...so I reckon you could pick up a good core collection of the cheaper releases quite quickly...appologies for the poor punctuation...keyboard is damaged. Read the previous thread on here about paying too much for vinyl, siman91 has some advice from his personal experiences buying wax.

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
1 as Bod mentioned, buy what you want not what you think you can make money from
2 yes you will end up buying a load of rubbish in order to get your hands on a few gems
3 be prepared to travel
4 avoid dealers as guess what they know what they are selling.

I always stick to the above, go for poorly advertised lots with circa 1000 records a go. I have picked up some absolute bargains including circa £3k collection for £50 as poorly advertised with text only and poorly worded.

Local papers are a great source and be patient, I buy maybe 2 collection a year. I do know of one collection circa 30,000 records in good condition and from the right era ie 86-95 ish although some newer of all styles, was offered for £10-15k

S

Postie

VIP Silver Member
Jan 22, 2006
St Helens
Was looking at buying some vinyl off ebay, anybody got any tips on buying 'job lots' or 'vinyl collections' off there. Are there any bargains to be had???

What are you looking for mate.Im selling my collection which i put up on here,but had no takers,im willing to split it down if that helps or u can have the lot.If you heard me play on here youll no what i got...Pm me with deets...:D

Postie

VIP Silver Member
Jan 22, 2006
St Helens
This is some of my stuff

Attachments

• 551728_311887545552390_159861021_n.jpg
    551728_311887545552390_159861021_n.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 104

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
I thought u must of sold em kev.

My experience is it is really hit a miss and can be a ballache gettin rid, u are generally best buyin if u know the seller or exactly what is there - anything else is a gamble.

Havin said that a gamble can come good

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
As a seller, eBay is a nightmare, last lot went for £33 for 400 records 89-94, wasn't expecting much but £33 was a bit low! Saying that I look to spend upto 11p per record unless really wanted or something special meaning the sky is the limit.

Postie, any chance of a list or some pointers to what would be for sale and prices?

Thanks. S

Postie

VIP Silver Member
Jan 22, 2006
St Helens
If your willing to spend 11p a record im not your man lol.I got all sorts to many to mention but will do a list in the next week to see if i can tempt peeps.Genarally 87-95 house and hardcore.:D

Howy

Feb 22, 2012
Southport
Thanks for the advice everyone, honestly though 11p a record seems a bit steep! . . Just joking! Would be interested at looking at any lists of records anyone might be selling on here. Or maybe i might be best buying records one by one. I once 'won' an auction for 'old skool' vinyl off ebay. Only for it to contain haddaway megamixes and what seemed like stock aitken and watermans entire back catalogue on vinyl! . . . I didnt know whether to laugh or cry!!

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
11p per record is dealers money and what I aim to get collections for from local papers, ebay or other sources. The best was approx 4p per record for an x dj collection with loads of hardcore and £30+ records, the most for an entire collection was 36p per record although absolutely mint and again early 90's hardcore. As mentioned if there are records which I realy want then I will pay retail however if buying a collection then retail is out the window.

Unfortunately Discogs has made alot of people think their records are worth alot more than they actually are collectively. My collection is circa £50k retail however if sold as one lot would acheive approx £5k?

Postie, do let the above put you off and I would love to see a list.

S

dodgymix

Can get some right bargains

I saw 200 old house records on eBay 26feb2010 and one of photos has "robin wants revenge" hand written

I emailed seller to ask about said track

My wife went in labour, got a beautiful daughter and missed the vinyls

Sold for £2.12

He replied stating it was the one I wanted lol

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
^^^^^^lol...and if you do...don't have a toke before you go there...memory...or simply drill a small hole through the pile you're taking so they will be easy to recognise :D