Does anyone cook?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
Just watching Saturday Kitchen and it got me thinking.....does anyone these days actually cook?

I know I don't :$ :$ ....well apart from chucking the odd pie or pizza in the oven. But I never make anything from scratch.

Just wondering why these cooking programmes are so popular, I'm guessing there must be some people out there that cook from scratch using raw ingredients??

Needless to say if I did, I'm sure it would still come out singed to burnt! :S

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
on a serious note, yes they do, i cook occasionally when i'm in the mood, i make a nice chilli, lasagne, cantonese sweet n sour chicken etc. tried to learn how to cook curry but the attempt turned me into a fat bastard so i gave up lol ;)

also had some ace food at bod n northern star's houses, cooked from scratch, it's well worth it if u can be arsed m8 :D :thumbsup:

Harri74

May 29, 2007
Midlands
www.myspace.com
I do a cooked dinner (spuds, carrots, greens, meat) about 3 times a week. Usually make a chinese, curry or chilli at weekends. Rest of the time its pasta.
Could use some inspiration though tbh.

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
no not really, but i have never had too, jem finishes work early to collect kids and by the time i get home its either ready or well on its way. i can cook all basics ie, warm stuff up, chillie from jar, omlette, etc, but i wouldn't know where to start from scratch :$ i hope she never goes on strike like she often threatens :eek:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Me and Alex do a lot of cooking from scratch - you can make it as quick or as complicated as you like, so depending what weve got on depends what we cook. I do a lot of carribean food which can be quick and easy to knock together :thumbsup:

Did stuffed peppers with home made garlic bread which took about half an hour healthy and tasty, Lasagne is another fave of mine about 30 mins prep time and bung it in the over for an hour :thumbsup:

Mmmmm Food :p

DC Mills

Apr 8, 2007
Me n Jim both cook. Having roast lamb tonight. I love to make most stuff from scratch as I am such a fussy midden & I know what has gone into it. I do admit to using jars of stuff the odd time tho, especially if I'm on late shift. You cannot beat good home cooked food tho. :D

DC Mills

Apr 8, 2007
Me and Alex do a lot of cooking from scratch - you can make it as quick or as complicated as you like, so depending what weve got on depends what we cook. I do a lot of carribean food which can be quick and easy to knock together :thumbsup:

Did stuffed peppers with home made garlic bread which took about half an hour healthy and tasty, Lasagne is another fave of mine about 30 mins prep time and bung it in the over for an hour :thumbsup:

Mmmmm Food :p

Mmmmmm Lasagne. Made one last week. Was ace!!!

PepeLePew

Oct 27, 2005
Hyde
www.myspace.com
Love cooking from scratch. I've got an adventurous palate. I make some of the tastiest food I've ever eaten, probably because it's got all the ingredients I love in it, it in the quantities that I want. Only problem is that it usually takes me 2 hours plus to do it, and neither Sarah or I can be arsed waiting that long. So it's a once a week occurrence. But there again I do a mean cheesey beans in 10 mins :thumbsup:
Sarah likes to cook and does some great meals too. Neither of us are fans of ready meals. But we do eat too many take outs and restaurant meals

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
I cook. . . .I think loads of people do. The huge number of cookery shows and books indicate that cooking has become popular again.

I must admit that I find cooking for one is less fun than cooking for others. . ..but I still try to make the effort.

I love cooking and think that it is something that you can benefit from almost everyday. . financially, physically and mentally.

Last edited:
I must admit that I cooking for one is less fun than cooking for others. . ..but I still try to make the effort.

I like cooking for myself. I tend to cook fish of some sort, and things just the way I like them. When cooking for others, I have to accommodate their tastes (which I do not mind at all, I love looking after people and filling them with food)...but sometimes it's good to spoil yourself.

In answer to the question...yes I do. Lots of meals from scratch, I try strange things I've never cooked before too...just to see what it tastes like.

The food I favour, is quite traditional, with lots of flavour and the best quality ingredients...think River Cottage (fking love that show).

Kieran and I were talking abut setting up an oldskool country pub, and having food, growing our own ingredients...I nearly cried at the excitement that i might do it one day. I love hosting you see...I love the satisfaction of sending someone away after I've looked after what ever it is they need (food, comfort etc) xxx