DD turntable maintenance...anyone do it?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
I remember years ago...probably 92 in my technics manual about oiling every now and then...never bothered coz in between working , raving and djing my ass off..I couldn't be arsed....so from 88- 95 I must have clocked up thousands of hrs
Just checked today and it recommends every 2000hrs...which is about every 3 years if you play a album a day..

So knowing this...anyone do any maintenance of their decks.
I only ask because my "new" decks are stantons t80...well I got them cheap so they needed a clean up....but couldn't find anywhere to oil it

Reactions: Brian (DJ Back)

Brian (DJB)

VIP Gold Member
Apr 8, 2018
Rochdale
I remember years ago...probably 92 in my technics manual about oiling every now and then...never bothered coz in between working , raving and djing my ass off..I couldn't be arsed....so from 88- 95 I must have clocked up thousands of hrs
Just checked today and it recommends every 2000hrs...which is about every 3 years if you play a album a day..

So knowing this...anyone do any maintenance of their decks.
I only ask because my "new" decks are stantons t80...well I got them cheap so they needed a clean up....but couldn't find anywhere to oil it
you know what mate i wouldnt have a clue where to start on this , again like youve said oiling ? where and how ? look forward to your reply as youve got me interested ;)

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
I've never done it personally, watched a couple of vids but then thought, if I fuck it up then it's fucked :p there are folks out there that offer servicing. I'd be more inclined to do that (unless I had a spare older deck to practice on)

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
Well after spending a few hrs trying to find any info on stanton decks...it was time to get my tools out coz it was bugging me now.

1st took the platter off then undid all the screws...then the 4 center screws around the spindle...the spindle dropped....so lifted the plate around it to see...and you can't go no further due to wires etc....so replaced it all back again.
Got some lego out and flpipped the deck over
Took pics this time
20220214_095935.jpg

Still no access to the spindle....so I flipped the deck on its side and removed the 4 screws around the spindle again
20220214_101804.jpg
20220214_101820.jpg

Well it turns out you just can't do it...I suppose that's what you get for cheap decks, non serviceable parts...I paid peanuts for them both and will keep them till they die then get a set of the best

• Wow
Reactions: Ade-Analogue

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
I thought that....but it seems like they are glued in..tbh playing them today and the that particular deck 5he sound that comes out is a bit ropey and the default setting is 33..but if you switch up to 45 the button randomly goes back to 33...or just stays on 45..to sort this I just press the on off button and its back to 33....might get a new deck quicker than I thought

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
Cheers for that...see this is the problem...technics are a great make which means its easy to access and service/maintenance....cheaper brands well.you can't

So I was mixing the other night....the ropy sounding deck was only playing in left speaker, playing around today I cleaned the contacts in the head shell...nothing
Changed the leads...now plays L&R speaker....but still sounded shit.
Changed the head shell with the good deck......presto...sounded sweet
So just ordered up 2x reloop blue concorde....well they gotta match...

Just realised I'm paying £6 less for the cartridges than I did for a pair of decks :eek:

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Cheers for that...see this is the problem...technics are a great make which means its easy to access and service/maintenance....cheaper brands well.you can't

So I was mixing the other night....the ropy sounding deck was only playing in left speaker, playing around today I cleaned the contacts in the head shell...nothing
Changed the leads...now plays L&R speaker....but still sounded shit.
Changed the head shell with the good deck......presto...sounded sweet
So just ordered up 2x reloop blue concorde....well they gotta match...

Just realised I'm paying £6 less for the cartridges than I did for a pair of decks :eek:
Yep they aint cheap, I remember when Shure stopped making there stuff, the m447s went through the roof , just one stylus was over 100 notes on ebay, even now a replacement stylus with needle protector is about 80£ from JICO who filled the gap on replacement parts.

I think when the time comes I will probs try the reloops.

Reactions: Ruffenuff

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
Just got to say my reloops came yesterday ( still says ortofon inside the box)...fired up the ones and twos...sound was amazing and cueing up records is way more easier....never liked the look of the concorde back in the day.
Today I'm a BIG fan
Reminds me from when switching tile cutters from the norm to a Rubi tile cutter....you have to be in the game to know..but it's a game changer

Reactions: chinatownswhite

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
Always nice is a brand new set of carts....I bought the ortofon VNL and i'm loving em