Cancel Xmas!

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
No .. . . .I don't mean abandon our celebrations on the 25th of December, just that we stop using the awful "word" Xmas. :mad:

It's Christmas and should be called that for a whole number of reasons!

Saysay

VIP Gold Member
Apr 20, 2003
Madchester
www.mixcloud.com
Hehe, i do use the abbreviation out of laziness.

Just checked on wiki and apparently the 'X' comes from greek letter 'chi' which when translated means christ and has been used by english people for hundreds of years. Bit of useless info for you there :D

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Hehe, i do use the abbreviation out of laziness.

Just checked on wiki and apparently the 'X' comes from greek letter 'chi' which when translated means christ and has been used by english people for hundreds of years. Bit of useless info for you there :D

Trace, your research does you credit and rather undermines my case somewhat! :$

I still hate the abbreviation though!

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
In Bez's book he always referred to Shaun Ryder as 'X' :D

who was horse then :confused: i have got to admit it didn't half confuse me, great book, jemma is just about to start it tonight and my shaun ryder one has just come through today :D

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
who was horse then :confused: i have got to admit it didn't half confuse me, great book, jemma is just about to start it tonight and my shaun ryder one has just come through today :D

Ryders brother I reckon :thumbsup:
and didnt they possibly sometimes refer to his dad as Horseman , when he used to drive them to gigs etc...?

JD7

Aug 5, 2004
Glasgow
Heh u all know that the Red and white wearing fat dood is the legacy of Coke? - Well it could be, maybe or might be bullshit

"Father Christmas is an evolutionary creation, influenced by folklore, legend and religion"

I say fuck it all - give the folks their presents lol - Our Children, our folks, our nan & pops. Please don't forget the 'US' we in betweeners who have olds and newers, or know of both parties. Give us the faze out crimbo's we remember, haven't had for years due to work, no work, issues and no snow winters.

This time of year used to be about fun and frollocks, I think the Sex Pistols got it right about never mind about the bollocks - winter darkness, could be a sad time, no warmth, short days and sadness.

I say NAY !! Standup, jump up - jump around - get to a party, get to a club, enjoy time with your friends that remember the good, great times of your clubbing pasts.

They are only a phone call away - hell, making that call - could change your year !!

:D

I think it is important to note that christmas should now be known as 'Coke-mas' from now on. I think someone mentioned about 'Santa' wearing red because of coke, this is true, St Nicholas wore green originally, and coke adverts had him in 'coke' red...et voila. Also, a lot of people signify the start of Christmas when the Coke christmas ad is first aired on telly. Did anyone see the ADVERT FOR AN ADVERT last night, a coke a cola premiere of their 'new' xmas ad, due to air on the 8th.
I hate that a brand should encroach on an important family time, like coke does with christmas. I find it a very poignant symbol that capitalism plays such a major role in what people think is important...people are missing the point and need to open their eyes a little xxx

sozzle for the rant, but not all advertising is bad...but stuff like this gives the industry a bad rep.

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
I like the coke ads, but xmas starts when i say starts not when an ad is aired.

As for the spelling of christmas/xmas....i dont care its just a word, i am not religious so dont see it as a religious time of year, just an excuse for time off work, good fun, seeing family, friends and caring and sharing and eating good food. I dont go to church havnt stepped foot in one since i left school apart from weddings and funerals.

Saysay

VIP Gold Member
Apr 20, 2003
Madchester
www.mixcloud.com
As for the spelling of christmas/xmas....i dont care its just a word, i am not religious so dont see it as a religious time of year, just an excuse for time off work, good fun, seeing family, friends and caring and sharing and eating good food. I dont go to church havnt stepped foot in one since i left school apart from weddings and funerals.

Me too Debs :)