Blonde

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

amymars

Apr 28, 2006
Standish
I have been thinking long and hard about going blonde for a very long time now......

I want some advice from brunettes who have gone blonde in the past..... I'm just too scared to do it, for fear of it looking cheap, and for fear of it costing a bomb to have it dyed every couple of weeks. And also...I want my eyes to still appear quite green. Not sure if blonde would take away the emphasis.

Thoughts appreciated!!! :)

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
I have been thinking long and hard about going blonde for a very long time now......

I want some advice from brunettes who have gone blonde in the past..... I'm just too scared to do it, for fear of it looking cheap, and for fear of it costing a bomb to have it dyed every couple of weeks. And also...I want my eyes to still appear quite green. Not sure if blonde would take away the emphasis.

Gosh, thought provoking!;)

Just kidding, as actually its quite a common convo i have with Jonno. Shall i go lighter or darker, lighter or darker- i think its really winds him up. It totally fucks me off when he says 'i like it just the way it is'. Arghh, lighter or darker is what i wanted to know!

Its hard this one Amy as you're quite pale- what about having a few sorta caramel colours? I perhaps would stay away from going too light as you might look washed out.

I am naturally quite fair, but i am lucky in some respects as i have quite a dark skin tone. I would love to be brave and go really dark (or should that be light lol), but instead i stick with my usual boring inbetween shiz. I am going to be brave and get a bob, i just need to decide what colour.

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.

I want some advice from brunettes who have gone blonde in the past..... I'm just too scared to do it, for fear of it looking cheap, and for fear of it costing a bomb to have it dyed every couple of weeks.

At the risk of sounding like a girl. . . . .:$

I think your coloring, eyes, skin etc is very much suited to Brunette. While I'm sure you would carry off Blonde, I think Brunette is your look! Nature thought so.

It can take badly on some hair and could look cheap. . .bit of a gamble. My wife had a change of colour once and the hairdresser messed up. . . .tears mate I tell thee!:cry: Also You would need a very aggressive bleach to go blonde, could damage your hair mate.

It will cost a bomb as you will constantly need to have the roots done every 2/3 weeks. You did say you were looking to save money a few weeks ago, this would be an extra expense. It would be cheap if you did it yourself. . .a fortune at the hairdressers.

If you change your mind it will require recoloring back again, matching your original colour while it grows out could be awkward.

How do I know all this for a bald person. . . I colour the wife's hair for her! What a shameful admission!:$ :S

PM Sonz, she is in the trade.

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
Go for it.

The worst case scenario is that you don't like it, and in which case you can just dye it back to your original colour.

MizzDeedz

May 6, 2006
Dont do it amy!!!!.

My natural colour is dark brown and i went blonde..........regret is not the word. It ruined my hair and yes even though for a while i liked the colour i soon grew to hate it and now its taken some time and help from a great hairdresser.... I am now light brown. I changed hairdressers and he told me my hair did not even feel like hair as the bleach had taken its toll on me. Its taken a few months but now my hair is back in fab condition and I love my colour. I have a semi-permanent colour put on it now so that if im not sure itll fade out..........but i love it anyway. Also its not that easy to go straight back to your old colour if bleach has been used on your hair - i know as i found out the hard way.

If you have any doubts then dont do it - i regretted going blonde and im now trying to get back to how i was before my run in with a bleach bottle!!:|

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003

I think your coloring, eyes, skin etc is very much suited to Brunette. While I'm sure you would carry off Blonde, I think Brunette is your look! Nature thought so.

It can take badly on some hair and could look cheap. . .bit of a gamble. My wife had a change of colour once and the hairdresser messed up. . . .tears mate I tell thee!:cry:

It will cost a bomb as you will constantly need to have the roots done every 2/3 weeks. You did say you were looking to save money a few weeks ago, this would be an extra expense. It would be cheap if you did it yourself. . .a fortune at the hairdressers.

If you change your mind it will require recoloring back again macthing your original colour while it grows out could be awkward.

How do I know all this for a bald person. . . I colour the wife's hair for her! What a shameful admission!:$ :S

PM Sonz, she is in the trade.

Ahh, thats actually quite sweet. I can't even get Jonno to wash my hair for me at the mo. I have not been able to do it since last friday as i literally cut my head open at the weekend and the stiches mean i can't do it myself- as its right across my face i don't want to cause any damage as the scar is going to be frikkin huge already. I might go to the hairdressers at the bottom and get them to do it- its called the Hacienda lol.

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
Ahh, thats actually quite sweet. I can't even get Jonno to wash my hair for me at the mo. I have not been able to do it since last friday as i literally cut my head open at the weekend and the stiches mean i can't do it myself- as its right across my face i don't want to cause any damage as the scar is going to be frikkin huge already.
Can I just say here that this wound was to the bone - to the bone!

A no messing about deep cut.

MizzDeedz

May 6, 2006
It can take badly on some hair and could look cheap. . .bit of a gamble. My wife had a change of colour once and the hairdresser messed up. . . .tears mate I tell thee!:cry: Also You would need a very aggressive bleach to go blonde, could damage your hair mate.

If you change your mind it will require recoloring back again, matching your original colour while it grows out could be awkward.

Yes very true on the cant change back as quick as you think and growing it out can look awful - i have my hair done every 6 weeks as the colour is just slightly lighter than my natural colour and even though its not really obvious i still have to have it done because of my roots are slightly darker - i have semi permanent colour on it now. To go blonde on your hair amy would take an aggressive colour as you are very dark and tbh your hair colour is lovely and I think you should stay as you are.
As for costing a bomb..........I spend approx £40 - £50 every six weeks now on my hair (wash, cut blow dry and colour) and my hairdresser does a fab job :thumbsup:

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
I have not been able to do it since last friday as i literally cut my head open at the weekend and the stiches mean i can't do it myself- as its right across my face i don't want to cause any damage as the scar is going to be frikkin huge already.

Sorry to hear that!

Hope it heals well mate.

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
Dont do it amy!!!!.

My natural colour is dark brown and i went blonde..........regret is not the word. It ruined my hair and yes even though for a while i liked the colour i soon grew to hate it and now its taken some time and help from a great hairdresser.... I am now light brown. I changed hairdressers and he told me my hair did not even feel like hair as the bleach had taken its toll on me. Its taken a few months but now my hair is back in fab condition and I love my colour. I have a semi-permanent colour put on it now so that if im not sure itll fade out..........but i love it anyway. Also its not that easy to go straight back to your old colour if bleach has been used on your hair - i know as i found out the hard way.

If you have any doubts then dont do it - i regretted going blonde and im now trying to get back to how i was before my run in with a bleach bottle!!:|

What Miss Deedz said :thumbsup: I had the same prob as you, NEVER again will I go blonde, altho I did have a few caramel bits in it a bit ago, but I didnt like it, so off it went. :D

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
Aaaah this dilemma is ever so common to me....

Well i'm naturally dark & i've gone blonde twice. The crucial thing is getting it the right shade of blonde to suit you so you don't look cheap like you say & it suits your skin tone so its not too fake.

Basically, in a nutshell, your hair will definitely be in worse condition, and it probably won't ever suit you as well as it does dark nomatter what shade you manage to get it, & you will probably end up going back dark at some stage again to the detriment of your hairs condition,

BUT, if you can't fk about with your hair & experiment while you're young when can you?!, it feels ace having a change & for me having my hair in a slightly worse condition was WELL worth it to be blonde for a bit, it brightens up your face, you can wear LOADS more colours of clothing with it, you DO attract more attention (lol), its definitely more fun. I find it easier than dark to maintain, only need roots doing & it doesn't fade out like dark dye.
Its just one of those things a brunnette has got to do for a bit I think lol. Plenty of time for brunnette when we're grown ups. & if you don't do it now you will always be wondering.

On that note, i'm thinking of going brunnette again soon lol, what do you think?!!! LOL

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Yes very true on the cant change back as quick as you think and growing it out can look awful - i have my hair done every 6 weeks as the colour is just slightly lighter than my natural colour and even though its not really obvious i still have to have it done because of my roots are slightly darker - i have semi permanent colour on it now. To go blonde on your hair amy would take an aggressive colour as you are very dark and tbh your hair colour is lovely and I think you should stay as you are.
As for costing a bomb..........I spend approx £40 - £50 every six weeks now on my hair (wash, cut blow dry and colour) and my hairdresser does a fab job :thumbsup:

Agree.

Amy has lovely hair and suits it.

£50 every 6 weeks is going to be around £450 a year. A wash, cut and dry at Toni and Guy is £25 and probably is only required once every 8 weeks without the need for coloring. That comes out at around £175 a year a saving to Amy of £275 a year. You could have a holiday abroad for that!

Look at what a tight wad I am! ;)

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
Aaaah this dilemma is ever so common to me....

Well i'm naturally dark & i've gone blonde twice. The crucial thing is getting it the right shade of blonde to suit you so you don't look cheap like you say & it suits your skin tone so its not too fake.

Basically, in a nutshell, your hair will definitely be in worse condition, and it probably won't ever suit you as well as it does dark nomatter what shade you manage to get it, & you will probably end up going back dark at some stage again to the detriment of your hairs condition,

BUT, if you can't fk about with your hair & experiment while you're young when can you?!, it feels ace having a change & for me having my hair in a slightly worse condition was WELL worth it to be blonde for a bit, it brightens up your face, you can wear LOADS more colours of clothing with it, you DO attract more attention (lol), its definitely more fun. I find it easier than dark to maintain, only need roots doing & it doesn't fade out like dark dye.
Its just one of those things a brunnette has got to do for a bit I think lol. Plenty of time for brunnette when we're grown ups. & if you don't do it now you will always be wondering.

On that note, i'm thinking of going brunnette again soon lol, what do you think?!!! LOL

I liked your hair when it was brown with a few blonde bits in Chez (if ya want my onion anyways :D ) btw not saying I dont like it blonde, I do but, I was looking at some piccys the other day with you with brown hair and it looked in well good condition, shiny and healthy like, thats the one thing I hated about blonde hair, you couldnt see the shine no matter what-lol :D