Are there any good internet providers really???

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
Hey,

My housemates and I have got Sky. The whole shebang (full channels, phone and net).

The internet is actually the shittest Ive ever come accross. Sometimes my computer links to someone elses net down the street - and I think, wow the internet is good today...it turns out it's not even mine! I think that is terrible. I tried to upload a 30 second video, and I was told 245 HOURS!!!! I'm so angry. I won't be getting sky again - can't wait to get freeview. Fuck the movie channels and HD - I honestly could not give a shit. All the program listing are repeated every week - and there is about 1 or 2 good things on in the month (not on terrestrial.) For the price I pay - I could buy those. Grrrr, I'm angry...at myself mostly for getting suckered in!

I've had a look around, and most broadband providers seem to be crap. Why can't there be a good one? Does anyone here have a good one?

xxx

stetheboro

Jul 21, 2001
Louisiana formerly Middlesbrough
If it aint cable your essentially stuck with BT shitty networking and cables, meaning that honestly it wont get too much better speed wise anyhow whoever you go with.

Im with BT for the simple fact that if something goes wrong (which is all the time) I can get directly at them rather than having to actually have my ISP do it.

Then again BT aint no angels. I had a problem with one of their routers tried with another one no issues. Called to get a replacement and Harry aka Abul in Mumbai said he needs to run some tests. 20 mins later get a call back advising there is nothing wrong. I work in IT so speeled out everything in technical jargon what the actual issue was after a pause like he was thinking what I have got into here he asked me to reboot the router :naughty: I hung up the phone at that point.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
That sounds more like the speeds from a USB dongle over 3g than broadband.

Im guessing the most likely cause is that someone else is logged on and downloading from the torrent sites. Those kill the Internet for other users.

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
Im on BT and TBH not had any issues for 2 years now- only get 3meg but im happy with that speed plus its only £13 bullets a month so its reasnoable as well :)

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Got Sky and have no problems at all and seems prety good deal when married to TV package. Had option of BT Infinity but can warrant it as dont download stuff.

S

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
Got Sky and have no problems at all and seems prety good deal when married to TV package. Had option of BT Infinity but can warrant it as dont download stuff.

S

Thats why i didnt take it- i do download stuff but only mixes and stream videos so this does its job for me

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
i cant fault o2, i get average 13meg dl speed, and do dl quite a few movies, i think i pay £10 a month but my mobile is also o2 so i think theres a discount for having both. english call centers too, only ever needed them once and they got me up and running again straight away :thumbsup:

i'm with virgin and to be upfront i have only ever had one problem in 13 years and that was recently... they spent 90 minutes on the phone to me talking me through the problem... even called me back after a few minutes to save my bill

get reasonable speeds in the day, sometimes it can be a little frustrating between 3 and 7 when uploading but goes faster at night... so i tend to upload and leave the comp on then...:)

used to have cable with them and was downloading films in an hour, not got it here in cornwall which is crap... but i would stay with them cos they are good :D

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
never had any complaints with orange, it's only 8 meg but pretty reliable, and for a fiver a month it's well worth it, and it takes a lot to make me happy lol ;) :thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I've been with Virgin since the Telewest days, when we were all on old modems, spending the best part of a hour just downloading a photograph. Frustrating, but cutting edge.

In all that time, I could probably count the problems i've had on one hand and nearly all those would have been when i've had downtime when they're be upgrading the system. They've never lasted more than a day though and usually resolved in a few hours. Technical support is free and helpfull too.

I'm thinking about upgrading my broadband from 10mb to 30mb at the moment as it's not much extra, but who knows, I might even go for 100mb if I can get a good deal:cool:

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
We are on O2, well we would be wouldnt we:D

Nice n cheap, get about 15meg speed out of it, dont get any probs really, router needs resetting every once in a while, any probs we do get I can usually sort, AND they dont mither you if you download films/music. If your that way inclined, I am most certainly not and wouldnt partake in such activities, a bloke in the pub told me haha:condom:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Here's a real world performance with Virgin today....

I started downloading a 3.9gb file about 7:30 this morning, i've just reached 3gb and it's 11:30 now:|

I'd like to know if the faster broadband packages have faster speeds during peak time.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
And the file has decided to stop downloading for some reason, and with no download manager it's back to square one:mad: